Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Apart from the period between both world wars, the late 70s and early 80s were the worst years in living memory for high inflation and high unemployment.

Some of that pre-dated Thatcher.

I remember the famous "Labour's not working" poster tapping right into public concern about that.

Inflation, yes.

That Saatchi and Saatchi poster became wildly ironic, however, in the years that immediately followed that Labour government.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It also doesn't take into account that people's political beliefs spread across both wings. Not everyone picks a team.

In fact, the majority of people appear to be relatively floating voters.

Personally, I believe in less state intervention in my day to day life and that we care far too much about the rights of criminals compared to what we do for victims of crime and that taxes should be as low as possible but I also very strongly believe that public transport should be free and state-owned, that we should have a single nationalised energy company, that we should retain a public owned water company, that we should have a nationalised drug pharmaceutical company, that the NHS should never be privatised, that private health provision should be banned because it negatively impacts on the NHS, allowing people with money to queue jump and that the millionaires who decided on Universal Credit and applied benefits caps without taking accommodation into account should be forced by law to live on UC for 2 years as punishment and that we should have free and open borders in every country in the world allowing passport and visa free movement for all humans regardless of country of birth for any reason whatsoever.

Good luck to anyone trying to shoe-horn that lot into one political wing. They'd be doomed to failure.

I'll give it a bash. 

Spoiler

full

Particularly seething at NS’s response to DR this afternoon when he questioned why businesses forced to close were still waiting for promised support funds from weeks ago.

NS essentially stating that only SG made money available for affected businesses and UK didn’t help businesses in England at all during their period of being able to trade freely.

And people still lap this up from her?! FML man!

Screenshot_2022-01-25-15-08-34-780_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.5c5b82753c8e8cb58565a13a09b0b058.jpg

I'm struggling to understand the mindset of these people. All the restrictions, masks and the vaccines have not succeeded in reducing infection to any level that can be described as under control. The only thing that works is isolating. 

It's like the woman greeting about the worker's mask in Costa. If she is genuinely worried about the virus why is she even going into a coffee shop? 

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Screenshot_2022-01-25-15-08-34-780_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.5c5b82753c8e8cb58565a13a09b0b058.jpg

I'm struggling to understand the mindset of these people. All the restrictions, masks and the vaccines have not succeeded in reducing infection to any level that can be described as under control. The only thing that works is isolating. 

It's like the woman greeting about the worker's mask in Costa. If she is genuinely worried about the virus why is she even going into a coffee shop? 

Why don't they just shield for the rest of their lives then?  Let the non-vulnerable people go back to pre- March 2020 life.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The return to work guidance is so weak and fluffy that businesses will surely just ignore it and do what they like. 

Which is exactly how it should be tbh. It should be for individual employers and employees to work out what works for both parties on an individual basis rather than diktats from the SG.

43 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It also doesn't take into account that people's political beliefs spread across both wings. Not everyone picks a team.

In fact, the majority of people appear to be relatively floating voters.

Personally, I believe in less state intervention in my day to day life and that we care far too much about the rights of criminals compared to what we do for victims of crime and that taxes should be as low as possible but I also very strongly believe that public transport should be free and state-owned, that we should have a single nationalised energy company, that we should retain a public owned water company, that we should have a nationalised drug pharmaceutical company, that the NHS should never be privatised, that private health provision should be banned because it negatively impacts on the NHS, allowing people with money to queue jump and that the millionaires who decided on Universal Credit and applied benefits caps without taking accommodation into account should be forced by law to live on UC for 2 years as punishment and that we should have free and open borders in every country in the world allowing passport and visa free movement for all humans regardless of country of birth for any reason whatsoever.

Good luck to anyone trying to shoe-horn that lot into one political wing. They'd be doomed to failure.

Meaningless waffle unless you've changed your view on the increased taxation that would be needed to fund these sorta policies, which IIRC you referred to ludicrous/unacceptable or similar at the last GE.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And to think that it was your personal approval for my political opinions that I was after too.

Gutted.

So that'll be a no to the tax increases that would be required to fund the policies you pretend to espouse!

10 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Which is exactly how it should be tbh. It should be for individual employers and employees to work out what works for both parties on an individual basis rather than diktats from the SG.

I agree, they should just say that. 

But they just look a bit silly with trying to be prescriptive with advice that is really wooly and a nothing. 

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm expressing how distraught I am that I don't have your personal approval.

Please reconsider. I hold you in the highest esteem and to have one of my heroes dissing me like this is, quite frankly, heartbreaking.

Terribly childish Old Boy.

Have you no plans to explain how you'd square the circle of funding hugely ambitious programmes while slashing taxes?

Edited by Monkey Tennis