Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We had my parents over and sat in the garden.

Without those darned restrictions, we could probably have had twice as many guests.

We never bothered about the restrictions.

Life just went on as normal.

Just like Boris and his staff.

Only  difference was that we didn’t make the rules!

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Because you ignored it in favour of a positive spin for Boris. Your head would have completely exploded if anyone in the SG had suggested street covid commissars. As you would say, with your baseball cap on backwards no doubt, pure simping.

I don't think I did ignore it, though. I'm fairly certain I mocked the idea.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I still mind the day when Boris was saying we should have Covid Commissars for every street to check that everyone was following the rules, and you were ecstatic, saying he was going to follow the Swedish model. :lol: Most of the stuff I've said on here that could be called defending the SNP have just been to correct misquotations or simple statements of fact, followed by your inevitable breakdowns into American teenager hysteria.. :1eye 

Surprising when you can’t remember that you’ve resigned from this thread.

Absolute bullshit.  You sleep under a Sturgeon bedspread.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Welshy having another nightmare tonight. 🤣

When the SNP went from 25k to 125k members virtually overnight in 2014 I was initially encouraged but then I got to see some of them and I was dismayed. Many were looking for a gravy train to jump on and many more were tribalists looking for another fitba team to follow.

3 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Looks like the gangs all here for the pile-on.

Welshy is right in that most of what he (and I until i gave up) is posting is corrections, rather than defences.   Doesn’t matter though, as it doesn’t fit the narrative.

Criticism of the positions he is taking are entirely valid and legitimate. 

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

It’s always valid and legitimate to criticise.  Doesn’t make you right though.

Go on then.  Respond to the latest criticism.  What has any of the travel restrictions that are being unwound actually achieved?

He’s defending them and ignoring the questions.  Enlighten everyone as to why he’s correct.

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

At the local B&Q today, a member of staff greeted me at the door and said "Morning. Help yourself to a mask from the box there".

That's the first time anyone has come near me about masks since I ditched them 8 or 9 months ago.

A smile and "No thanks" and it was all fine. No need to be rude to the staff at all.

Quite a few of us in there without masks so she must have been hearing No all morning.

I have to say though - surely B&Q can find her something more constructive to do during the day without having her do this soul destroying job?

There's a lot of cowardly chiefs ordering other low paid staff to take the risk of approaching customers about masks from the safety of their own offices without being prepared to tough it out themselves.

Asda in Stenhosuemuir has a “covid Marshall” but only once has one of them asked me to stick a mask on and that was answered with a swift - no thanks and they said no worries. Can only imagine the shite they have to put up with daily.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

It’s always valid and legitimate to criticise.  Doesn’t make you right though.

Well obviously people think their own criticism/opinions are “right”, otherwise they wouldn’t make the criticisms or hold the opinions - common sense.

I’d say generally though that the clearest thinkers in here are the ones who separate COVID from existing political leanings, rather than those who either indulge their existing tribalism, or who just complain that the thread isn’t going the way they want it to go.

I remember you turned against Sturgeon before Christmas when she banned large crowds etc - didn’t that help you empathise with some of the criticisms you see on here?

7 hours ago, anotherchance said:

I’d say generally though that the clearest thinkers in here are the ones who separate COVID from existing political leanings

Would you?

I get the point you're trying to make about tribalism, but to me, divorcing Covid response from politics is odd.  This has been about political decision making from the outset.

Of course, people should be prepared to criticise a party they'd normally support, just as they should be capable of supporting something they like, even it comes from a direction they wouldn't usually back.  The same could be said on any issue.

However, I'd think it's sensible to have views on Covid broadly fit a set of existing beliefs regarding how society can operate.

There should always be room for questioning and doubt, but I wouldn't see those who treat Covid as outside of politics, as the ones who bring most clarity to their thought.

I noticed last week when our numbers in the neighbourhood reporting were dropping heavily that only pcr positives were included. This is where UK govt take the Scottish numbers from.
Assume it is because the LFTs that are reported positive were in the hospital board areas rather than council areas. Not sure why Scotgov are doing this. A cynic may have an opinion.
Even screws with travelling tabby.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Would you?

I get the point you're trying to make about tribalism, but to me, divorcing Covid response from politics is odd.  This has been about political decision making from the outset.

Of course, people should be prepared to criticise a party they'd normally support, just as they should be capable of supporting something they like, even it comes from a direction they wouldn't usually back.  The same could be said on any issue.

However, I'd think it's sensible to have views on Covid broadly fit a set of existing beliefs regarding how society can operate.

There should always be room for questioning and doubt, but I wouldn't see those who treat Covid as outside of politics, as the ones who bring most clarity to their thought.

I don’t think that’s true at all but it does go a long way to explaining your moral panic at everything in this thread.