Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I actually don't know what Australia and NZ are aiming for here and I'm not convinced they do either.

It hasn't stopped you spouting nonsense however. Australia (excluding WA) has adopted a living with covid approach months ago once 80 to 90% of the population was double vaccinated, including opening international borders. This approach has held firm despite the recent Omicron surge. The Australian 'aim' is perfectly clear.

WA, by dint of its isolated location, has resisted  Covid so far. Everyone knows that an Omicron outbreak is inevitable, indeed it looks like it it's happening now. Despite being the laughing stock of Australia, most people in WA support the border closures arguing they have spent most of the last 2 years living a normal life, mostly mask and lockdown free, but not being allowed to return to the state of they leave.

They'll have a few lockdown as cases rise, but once the cases hit a few thousand a day that'll stop and the borders will reopen. There's just not the political capital to be gained by opening the borders before a major outbreak.

Scottish government scrapping the test requirements entering the country following England's announcement today. Think it coming into effect this Friday might be sooner than England too but not 100% sure.

ETA other journalists now saying it'll be 11th February so same as England.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

At the local B&Q today, a member of staff greeted me at the door and said "Morning. Help yourself to a mask from the box there".

That's the first time anyone has come near me about masks since I ditched them 8 or 9 months ago.

A smile and "No thanks" and it was all fine. No need to be rude to the staff at all.

Quite a few of us in there without masks so she must have been hearing No all morning.

I have to say though - surely B&Q can find her something more constructive to do during the day without having her do this soul destroying job?

There's a lot of cowardly chiefs ordering other low paid staff to take the risk of approaching customers about masks from the safety of their own offices without being prepared to tough it out themselves.

I've went days without seeing a member of staff in B & Q.

New travel rules from 11 February:

All testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers dropped
Passenger locator form required

For non-vaccinated travellers:
Pre-departure test and passenger locator form required
No self-isolation
PCR on or before day 2

https://www.gov.scot/news/international-travel-restrictions-eased/

Great news. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I have family living in Nelson in the South Island, they've had pretty well zero restrictions since the start, no facemasks, nothing. A few weeks of semi lockdown while they roll out the boosters and try to slow the spread won't kill them. Being stuck in the South Pacific thousands of miles from anywhere gave them that option, sacrificing travel for freedom seems to have paid off for them. 

Auckland in the North Island has been one of the most locked down urban areas on the planet since March 2020. 

It's no surprise to see that your family are just as selective in their focus on restrictions (I'm alright Jack) as their gormless connection. 

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

New travel rules from 11 February:

All testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers dropped
Passenger locator form required

For non-vaccinated travellers:
Pre-departure test and passenger locator form required
No self-isolation
PCR on or before day 2

https://www.gov.scot/news/international-travel-restrictions-eased/

Great news. 

With no isolation period or testing requirement, whats the thinking behind the PLF for vaccinated people?

Edited by Todd_is_God

36 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My wife has tested positive, my son and I are both negative. It feels a bit strange to be carrying on as normal with someone having Covid in the house but it is good to be able to do it. 

Similar here. The other half is negative & WFH but I'm riddled. Quite enjoying being a lazy shite, watching telly all day, while she spends her days on zoom & answering calls.

50 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

With no isolation period or testing requirement, whats the thinking behind the PLF for vaccinated people?

It's all about climbing down while saving face and looking cautious. I image things will start to crumble like dominos across Europe in the coming months. Another minter for Detournement.

43 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The always wanting to do something act is really boring now tbh.

Again, it's the only way they can climbdown because of the corner they have backed themselves into over the past two years.

Edited by Elixir

41 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The always wanting to do something act is really boring now tbh.

I realise variants are generally mocked on here as being something to scare children with, but most people outside this bubble think they're worth keeping an eye on, and stopping tests for incoming flights will require another approach.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I realise variants are generally mocked on here as being something to scare children with, but most people outside this bubble think they're worth keeping an eye on, and stopping tests for incoming flights will require another approach.

How many variants has testing inbound travellers kept out of the country?

Same question for quarantines and isolation for inbound travellers.

What did any of the above achieve?

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Like what?

As @Left Back points out, there is little point looking for new imported variants after people are here because, by the time you sequence and identify it, it's already here and being seeded.

ETA do you ever think anything a member of the SG says about covid is daft, or is your default position simply "must defend"

Edited by Todd_is_God

19 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Similar here. The other half is negative & WFH but I'm riddled. Quite enjoying being a lazy shite, watching telly all day, while she spends her days on zoom & answering calls.

I'm isolating until Thursday at the earliest. Needing a couple of negative LFTs by then though.  Still no sign of the second line getting any fainter.  Is that how it works, does anyone know, or will it just disappear altogether from one day to the next?

Feeling a bit groggy, but that's all.  I'm certainly not unwell enough to be off work, were it not for the need to isolate.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Good thing we have terrific community surveillance to do that job. Do we track the antigenic drift of infuenza at the airport? No we don't. No variant sets us back to square one, nor will the next one prolong the pandemic.

So, more utterly pointless concern on your part. Let's not forget the clearly tremendous job that inbound testing has done at keeping those pesky variants out either!

Granted it's David Nabarro, but I see the WHO are as out of touch and scrambling for relevance as ever. The UK and Ireland have already stopped buying what they're selling, and the rest of Europe will be following in the next couple of months.

15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

How many variants has testing inbound travellers kept out of the country?

Same question for quarantines and isolation for inbound travellers.

What did any of the above achieve?

Not a lot but a bit of early warning by gene sequencing test samples I would think.