Coronavirus (COVID-19)

21 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They must be aiming for zero Covid.  Which is impossible unless their borders are closed forever.

They've accepted it's going endemic and just want to slow Omicron down a bit while they dole out boosters.

Some members of the public act like c***s at the tiniest bit of provocation. A lot of people aren’t equipped or don’t like having to deal with that.
And, more importantly, nor should they be.

Very few folk (if any) get specifically paid to take shit off other folk.

Of course, masks are going to be as time goes on, a really obvious and common flashpoint that could be easily avoided, but wont be, because we already know those in charge are completely dismissive of any cost that goes along with legally mandated mask wearing.

36 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I suspect the testing will be kept in place in Scotland ‘for now’.

You will just have people in Scotland going down south to avoid the testing to fly abroad if they keep the testing in place for ‘now’. 

I’m still expecting the SG to announce similar in the coming weeks. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

My view is the same. It feels very discriminatory to me and particularly egrgeious from the multinationals who make exorbitant profits and pay as little tax as they can get away with. I suspect it'll be tested at some point in a court.
I suppose if your vaccination status was directly related to one of the protected characteristics then it could be breaking the Equality Act.

Our childminder took our daughter and the other wee girl she's looking after to some club this morning, which I think they do most weeks. They were asked to leave because the other girl (a 1 year-old) kept coughing. Not even the slightest suggestion of it actually being covid, just something that wee kids that age occasionally do. This sort of shite has to stop soon, we can't have folk terrified of coughing or sneezing in public.

28 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

You will just have people in Scotland going down south to avoid the testing to fly abroad if they keep the testing in place for ‘now’. 

I’m still expecting the SG to announce similar in the coming weeks. 

I live about 16 miles from Prestwick and about 13 miles from Glasgow, I can ASSURE you, I won't be booking flights from England in order to avoid a £22 test which I don't even need to take anyway !!

I'd be very surprised if I was alone in that.

In fact, that just sounds like the same type of Daily Mail / Express scare mongering nonsense as the "everyone will leave Scotland to work in England because of the extra tax".

Yeah, right.

People are REALLY going to chuck in their job, sell their house, uproot their kids and move away from their extended family and friends due to having to pay an extra couple of hundred quid a year 🤣

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Our childminder took our daughter and the other wee girl she's looking after to some club this morning, which I think they do most weeks. They were asked to leave because the other girl (a 1 year-old) kept coughing. Not even the slightest suggestion of it actually being covid, just something that wee kids that age occasionally do. This sort of shite has to stop soon, we can't have folk terrified of coughing or sneezing in public.

To be fair, the nightclubs have just opened today. The last thing they want is the bad press of being a covid hotspot. 

Not admitting they were wrong under any circumstances and swallowing unlimited consequences until they get unceremoniously emptied by a right wing govt, IMO.

Ive some family friends in Australia, at the begging they were positively loving the fact that they could go about their life virtually restriction free . But since they don’t all live in the same state any more - parents WA ,kids and grandkids in NSW the fact that they haven’t been able to visit is now beginning to bite and patience is wearing thin

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

My pint went down the wrong way a few weeks back in the pub and was getting looks from all directions.  'I'm choking on my pint calm down' soon got them to fuck off looking at me.

If fit and healthy people are scared of Covid then they need to self isolate for the rest of their life.

41 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

My pint went down the wrong way a few weeks back in the pub and was getting looks from all directions.  'I'm choking on my pint calm down' soon got them to f**k off looking at me.

If fit and healthy people are scared of Covid then they need to self isolate for the rest of their life.

Choking on a pint is a symptom of the new BA.2 variant of Omicron.

Edited by scottsdad
typo

Just now, Snafu said:

If only we had gone down that road with that level of protection.

I have family living in Nelson in the South Island, they've had pretty well zero restrictions since the start, no facemasks, nothing. A few weeks of semi lockdown while they roll out the boosters and try to slow the spread won't kill them. Being stuck in the South Pacific thousands of miles from anywhere gave them that option, sacrificing travel for freedom seems to have paid off for them. 

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I'd be concerned if someone was coughing beer out of their lungs. Not for a sudden Omicron stealth attack but concerned you weren't in need of assistance. There's always someone who knows the heimlich maneuver, no no not me though, the best anyone will get from me is a couple punches on the upper back with my big knuckles after that you're on your own.

Do you use the Heimlich manoeuver on someone swallowing a liquid too quickly?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The fact of the matter is that the staff member is effectively being asked to challenge a customer. That always carries a risk of abuse - verbal and/or physical.

Regardless of what people think, masking is clearly a very highly charged thing for many people. 

Is it though?

Are the vast majority of people not just, sort of, normal?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Absolutely howling at this weaselry* from that ex Labour loser: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60109945

However, the Laboratory and Testing Industry Organisation, the trade body for the industry, said: "We are concerned that travel testing requirements have been lifted too quickly."

Its chairman Tom Watson said: "We have consistently backed relaxing unnecessary restrictions, but the only way that our country can avoid hard lockdowns is by maintaining a robust Covid testing regime to quickly discover new variants.

"As the WHO [World Health Organization] has asserted, there will continue to be more variants, we believe removing testing completely for international travel would weaken our wall of defence - because testing is the antidote to lockdowns."

wiggo.png wiggo.png wiggo.png wiggo.png wiggo.png

Into the bin you go. 4U0m6pP.png

*The Scottish Government likes this

15 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Absolutely howling at this weaselry* from that ex Labour loser: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60109945

See when you say you were "absolutely howling" at this or that, is it actually true?

23 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The spokesperson for the "Laboratory and Testing Industry Organisation" isn't representing people who have a vested interest in retaining testing for evermore is he?  I'm sure if he'd been an ex-conservative politician the sleaze allegations would have been flying about.