Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

How is going about your normal business going to upset anyone reasonable person?

It wasn’t like prior to the pandemic everyone was running about breathing and rubbing up against each other during your day to day business.

I just hope these people who keep using the “what if” excuse, will make sure to wear a mask and avoid crowds every time they have the sniffles. Cause you know “what if” that cold or flu gets passed onto someone with health issues.

I can’t wait until I’m able to go for a piss in the pub without having to wear a mask from my table to the toilet and back.

Nope.

Replace the word reasonable with unhealthy. Some people are in bad way, not many. I don't meet them but some folk have serious health problems.

Yes, I agree with the mask wearing stuff but most pubs don't care anymore. Nobody can be arsed with it. There is no need to check in to most pubs. It's just ignored by almost everybody, in my experience.

Long story but I haven't been to a game in ages but I have a free ticket for Wednesday. I have not been looking forward to going but I watched us against Talbot and we looked like a team.

20 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Did you point him to that? How does it demonstrate your claims?

It showed a wilful determination to make no allowances for someone who feels vulnerable.

Such an approach is not neutral.  It's to treat the bearer of the badge with hostility.

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

People have always been hypocritical and sanctimonious but social media is certainly very good at flushing them out.

We have people on social media presenting themselves as caring and considerate, calling other people " 'orrible Tory c***s who hate everyone" and simultaneously posting the most incredibly toxic poison against other human beings themselves. This kind of behaviour is just baffling to me TBH.

When I was a kid you couldn't always spot this type because you couldn't hide behind a username like Oberon_3855.

One thing I’ve learned over the years is that a large proportion of our fellow humans are mean-spirited and/or morons. I let very few new people truly into my life and keep many at arms length. 

This is a very different approach to my youth when I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Handing the ability to morons to globally publish their inner dialogue has been very illuminating and speeds things up.

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think the point is that there has never been a point in human history where some people DON'T have serious health problems.

I'd like an explanation from someone, ANYONE, about why we are only now apparently showing concern for these people.

Where was all this apparent compassion and concern before covid hit?

It absolutely reeks of fakery.

Personally, I think people are NOT particularly afraid on behalf of others. They are afraid for themselves and their own immediate families.

And they're using the time-honoured tactic of hiding that fear by pretending that it's all about caring for others.

I think that's the brutal truth of it but someone is welcome to convince me that we've all developed a compassion gene that was missing pre-2020.

I don't know about that. We help disabled peopled people and people with mental health problems. This is not pretence it is compassion.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It showed a wilful determination to make no allowances for someone who feels vulnerable.

Such an approach is not neutral.  It's to treat the bearer of the badge with hostility.

So manipulative. We are not allowed to be opposed to or have doubts over the value of any initiative lest we fail your “nice person” test. 

That is egomania on a Brobdingnagian scale.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So, I’m not entitled to behave in accordance with my sincerely held view. The existence of it and my exercise of it is hostility. 

I’m just not on board with people infantilising themselves or dehumanising themselves to level of a dog with a yellow ribbon to indicate it’s nervous. 

If people want to wear badges, fine. But it’s got nothing to do with me, I don’t agree with it and I’m not interested in dignifying it. That’s my right. 

6 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

So manipulative. We are not allowed to be opposed to or have doubts over the value of any initiative lest we fail your “nice person” test. 

That is egomania on a Brobdingnagian scale.

I'm not saying that at all.  Have a look back at the conversation if you like.  Of course, people can doubt whatever they like.  I'm massively doubtful about much of what I see on here for instance.

I do think that an unwillingness to modify behaviour for someone bearing such a card, however, is not very nice.

I really don't see that as the 'out there' perspective that you seem to.

4 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

So, I’m not entitled to behave in accordance with my sincerely held view. The existence of it and my exercise of it is hostility. 

I’m just not on board with people infantilising themselves or dehumanising themselves to level of a dog with a yellow ribbon to indicate it’s nervous. 

If people want to wear badges, fine. But it’s got nothing to do with me, I don’t agree with it and I’m not interested in dignifying it. That’s my right. 

What about people who are immune deficient and just want to get some shopping in? Would it be against your principles to give them a bit of extra room at check out if you noticed a badge?

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

People have always been hypocritical and sanctimonious but social media is certainly very good at flushing them out.

We have people on social media presenting themselves as caring and considerate, calling other people " 'orrible Tory c***s who hate everyone" and simultaneously posting the most incredibly toxic poison against other human beings themselves. This kind of behaviour is just baffling to me TBH.

When I was a kid you couldn't always spot this type because you couldn't hide behind a username like Oberon_3855.

I know several people like that in real life. It’s funny as f**k to poke beneath the surface a bit, point their contradictions out to them and watching them flap about and tie themselves in knots.

6 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

It absolutely is your right and I'd happily defend your entitlement to it.

In fact I'll exercise a similar one in expressing the view that it suggests you're a bit of a dick.

55 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yeah people who essentially wear masks only when popping in to shops really are in no place to declare wearing them as no big ask.

The pandemic has brought out the worst type of people who not only happily tell others what they should and should not be bothered about based on their own experiences, but pass their views off as fact.

Wow. Just Wow. Who would have thought, in the post-Covid celebrations of August 2020, we'd be seeing posts like this. 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What about people who are immune deficient and just want to get some shopping in? Would it be against your principles to give them a bit of extra room at check out if you noticed a badge?

I’m not in people’s faces anyway. I won’t behave any differently. My problem with such a scheme is the presumption that I should have to, that it gives dramatic types a McGuffin to use to cause friction and that it’s contrary to what should be happening which is that people should stop being scared of what is no longer a significant risk. 
I can’t remove risk for an immunodeficient person, and it’s not my personal responsibility to do so.

54 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It really is surely only on this thread that a person can be accused of holier than thou sanctimony, merely for suggesting that it might be an idea to cut someone a little slack if they're a bit uptight over the whole Covid caper.

Except that isn't what you're doing, is it? You're not "merely suggesting it might be an idea to cut someone a little slack", so this wide-eyed innocence act is like a hippy, it won't wash.

You're not just "merely suggesting" anything, anyone who's disagreed with you is "nasty" and "deranged" according to you, because they don't believe that people should adjust and modify their own behaviour and lives to cater for other people's fears. If people want to act like scared rabbits, they are free to do so but that doesn't give them the right to expect everyone else to. That isn't a hostile approach towards anyone, but you know that full well.

You're either at it or itching for a full-on barney, and you're not going to get it from me. There's beer in the fridge and that's a far better use of my time, so you have a great rest of the day. :)

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

In what way would giving an immune deficient person extra room at a check out offer meaningful protection? How did they cope before March 2020?

These are utterly pointless gestures . 

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It absolutely is your right and I'd happily defend your entitlement to it.

In fact I'll exercise a similar one in expressing the view that it suggests you're a bit of a dick.

How did all these people manage before Covid?

Anyone that is vulnerable would have had issues in the past with other viruses.  It isn't like they have suddenly developed xeroderma pigmentosum, is it?

If someone suffers from Mysophobia, should we modify our behaviours to accommodate irrationality?

It is entirely on the irrational to seek to normalise their behaviour to societal norms, not the other way about.

4 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I’m not in people’s faces anyway. I won’t behave any differently. My problem with such a scheme is the presumption that I should have to, that it gives dramatic types a McGuffin to use to cause friction and that it’s contrary to what should be happening which is that people should stop being scared of what is no longer a significant risk. 
I can’t remove risk for an immunodeficient person, and it’s not my personal responsibility to do so.

It wouldn't make it so you had to give someone some extra space, just that you'd have the opportunity if you felt so inclined. Like a far easier thing than offering your seat to an old biddy on a bus.