Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Seems like the perfect item for your 'bag on the seat' commuter so they don't have to move it. 

Good luck to anyone in a pub or restaurant asking the staff to keep the table next to them empty out of covid concerns 

If I need to squeeze past you on a bus, train, pub, shop, supermarket, pavement…. Then I’m doing it. Regardless if you’re wearing a badge or not

Sturgeon was going full-on doubling down this morning on the BBC Sunday Show. Restrictions were worth it, disputing with Sophie Raworth that parallel figures of 1 in 20 in England and Scotland has COVID apparently translated to Scotland having only 4.5% versus 5.5% transmission due to restrictions. Vaccine passports do help as they ensure majority of vaccinated people in “high risk venues” are reducing pressure on the NHS. She hopes, “eventually” they will go but we are in the throes of a global pandemic etc. 

Masks; “good international evidence” etc...”allow the most clinically vulnerable to live a normal life”. Good grief. 

Maybe wrong thread but you can see why a fair number of Nationalists are growing frustrated with her deflection on an independence referendum. 

Sturgeon was going full-on doubling down this morning on the BBC Sunday Show. Restrictions were worth it, disputing with Sophie Raworth that parallel figures of 1 in 20 in England and Scotland has COVID apparently translated to Scotland having only 4.5% versus 5.5% transmission due to restrictions. Vaccine passports do help as they ensure majority of vaccinated people in “high risk venues” are reducing pressure on the NHS. She hopes, “eventually” they will go but we are in the throes of a global pandemic etc. 

Masks; “good international evidence” etc...”allow the most clinically vulnerable to live a normal life”. Good grief. 

Maybe wrong thread but you can see why a fair number of Nationalists are growing frustrated with her deflection on an independence referendum. 

Fair point actually
Sturgeon could really use a distraction from the more hard line numpties in the party who are demanding another indyref now because
1: there isn’t support to be confident of winning .
2: if it’s not sanctioned by Westminster and said numpties demand on holding one anyway then unionist party’s will boycott the referendum, yes will get 80% on a 40% turnout and it will descend into a Catalonia style farce.
Both of those things would be hugely damaging for the snp and wider - more sensible headed indy movement, much worse than folk getting pissed off at masks and emergency powers getting kept on.
In a strange way it could make perfect sense for the snp to rip the arse out of this “ emergency “ “ throws of a global pandemic “ than have to contend with a bunch of fannys who think we should have independence now because “ ah want it but”

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I keep hearing that it’s a small price to pay. Not sure who decided that. 

It’s not a small price to pay.

Its a very large price.

The human face is a vital part of our humanity.

The ability to express emotions is critical to how we interact with our fellow humans.

Take that ability away and we degrade ourselves into something akin to a robot.

To me,mask wearing is completely wrong even if it were proved that it could reduce Covid by 50%

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

I see household contacts in New Zealand now have to isolate for 24 days in an effort to maintain zero covid.

Crazy.

No they don’t. 

From the NZ Herald today:

If you contract Omicron you will need to isolate for at least 10 days, or 14 days if you are not fully vaccinated, and be symptom-free for 72 hours. There have been reports and suggestions the self-isolation period may extend to 24 days.

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

It’s not a small price to pay.

Its a very large price.

The human face is a vital part of our humanity.

The ability to express emotions is critical to how we interact with our fellow humans.

Take that ability away and we degrade ourselves into something akin to a robot.

To me,mask wearing is completely wrong even if it were proved that it could reduce Covid by 50%

Are you seriously suggesting that the lives of 75.000 people in the UK (using your number above) are worth less than you having to wear a bit of cloth over your mouth and nose for short periods?

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I imagine 50 is a rapidly vanishing speck in your rear view mirror eh? 😜

Can you remember that far back?

It's only 20 years ago, practically yesterday as far as I'm concerned...

Are you seriously suggesting that the lives of 75.000 people in the UK (using your number above) are worth less than you having to wear a bit of cloth over your mouth and nose for short periods?

Are you seriously suggesting in this hypothetical scenario that there will be 75,000 covid deaths in the UK over the next year even if we do wear masks, and 150,000 if we don't?

How many deaths there have been in the past is totally irrelevant in terms of how we act going forward.