Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Just got a rather odd letter from the NHS inviting me for my booster because it's been 12 weeks since my third primary dose.

I didn't get a third primary dose, though. I got a booster.

Enough is enough. 4 doses in 11½ months is a step too far for me. 

ETA I'm not at all anti-vax, but a vaccine dose every 12 weeks isn't a sustainable plan.

When was it decided we needed a 4th vaccination? There was plenty of trumpeting about the booster (which swiftly became “ 3rd full dose”) but I’ve genuinely not heard they a 4th jag was being offered! 

I definitely won’t be bothering with this, assuming it is offered as a booster, much like the annual flu jag which I took last month for the first time in a good few years. 

I accept as a country, the UK has most probably over- stocked in our vaccine supply, however surely the humane thing to be doing  now is sending these over to unvaccinated countries in Africa, Asia etc.

19 minutes ago, deegee said:

When was it decided we needed a 4th vaccination? There was plenty of trumpeting about the booster (which swiftly became “ 3rd full dose”) but I’ve genuinely not heard they a 4th jag was being offered! 

I definitely won’t be bothering with this, assuming it is offered as a booster, much like the annual flu jag which I took last month for the first time in a good few years. 

I accept as a country, the UK has most probably over- stocked in our vaccine supply, however surely the humane thing to be doing  now is sending these over to unvaccinated countries in Africa, Asia etc.

The 4th jag is just for those on the shielded list at the mo. The 3rd jag and booster are exactly the same (with Pfizer anyway), if you're not on the shielded list they call it a booster, if you are it's 3rd jag. I don't see why anyone would turn down something that reduces your chances of feeling really shite, then again I've had zero bad reactions to my first 3, I might feel differently if I had..

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The 4th jag is just for those on the shielded list at the mo. The 3rd jag and booster are exactly the same (with Pfizer anyway), if you're not on the shielded list they call it a booster, if you are it's 3rd jag. I don't see why anyone would turn down something that reduces your chances of feeling really shite, then again I've had zero bad reactions to my first 3, I might feel differently if I had..

I think it's perfectly acceptable to be wary about receiving 4 doses of the same vaccine in less than 12 months tbh.

We already know that it isn't that useful at preventing infection from the current virus in circulation, so, given that Covid will still be here, what happens in 12 weeks time this time round? Another booster?

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I think it's perfectly acceptable to be wary about receiving 4 doses of the same vaccine in less than 12 months tbh.

We already know that it isn't that useful at preventing infection from the current virus in circulation, so, given that Covid will still be here, what happens in 12 weeks time this time round? Another booster?

I don't see the problem if it reduce your chances of getting seriously ill and it's voluntary, it's about the easiest medical procedure there is. 

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thanks for clarifying what this 4th jag is intended for.

I’m 52 and due to something from 10 years ago, was offered flu jag over the past decade but I personally (tin foil hat on!) prefer not to take any non- essential medicines and tbh would have same feelings about an annual covid booster, assuming my health remains good and the risk/ consequences are low etc.

I agree though that people with health issues or are elderly should be offered flu and covid booster vaccines annually, but I’m not voting for everyone getting 3-4 jags every year (for covid specifically) for very little good reason tbh

I’d been double dunted then went down with covid at the end of November. The nice lady from Test & Protect said I’d be testing positive for antibodies for up to 90 days. 

The 4 weeks following the positive test result was the height of the knicker wetting about getting boosted. And it then came out that the booster would only last for 10 weeks. And Omicron isn’t anywhere near as bad as feared.  

So I’ve got up to 90 days natural protection or pump more muck into my system for parallel protection for less time. Erm…

I’m not going to go all Meatloaf on it but as someone who thinks twice about whether I really need to take a headache pill or instead just go get a glass of water and have a rest I think I’m done with sticking needles in me now until next winter. And even then only if there is a compelling case presented. 

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Only a fool would just unquestioningly subject themselves to whatever other people deemed best for them. People should question the need for any medical intervention and then make their own minds up. That is a fundamental responsibility on the individual. 

Time for another alert.

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’m not going to go all Meatloaf on it 

Oaksoft, or Oaky as he's now affectionately nicknamed himself, thinks it was great if it's the case that Meatloaf declined vaccination or masks, even if it killed him, because he was exercising choice as an adult.

An utterly bonkers outlook.

38 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Because no medical procedure is risk-free.

Nothing wrong with asking questions if we get asked to take a 4th vaccine in 12 months. Only a fool would just unquestioningly subject themselves to whatever other people deemed best for them. People should question the need for any medical intervention and then make their own minds up. That is a fundamental responsibility on the individual. In fact, there can't be a more fundamental part of being an adult than making a balanced decision for yourself about what medicine to put in your own body.

From my own perspective? One booster every year is fine. One every 3-4 months is not and I almost certainly won't do it.

Catching covid isn't risk free either. Not sure how anyone looking at the balance of risk, particularly if you're over 50, would decide against a booster, but each to their own. What I really don't understand is getting annoyed by being given the choice.

• 6,768 new cases of COVID-19 reported. Please note that as of 13 January 2022, this figure includes cases identified using either a first LFD (lateral flow device) or PCR (polymerase chain reaction) positive test
    • 30 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive.
    • 16 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19* 
    • 1,458 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19*
    • 4,405,059 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination, 4,102,038 have received their second dose, and 3,245,885 have received a third dose or booster

So those ICU numbers…

52 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Catching covid isn't risk free either. Not sure how anyone looking at the balance of risk, particularly if you're over 50, would decide against a booster, but each to their own. What I really don't understand is getting annoyed by being given the choice.

I'm nowhere near 50 btw

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't see the problem if it reduce your chances of getting seriously ill and it's voluntary, it's about the easiest medical procedure there is. 

My issue is that its not really voluntary when they keep adding extra vaccinations to the passport to keep it valid. As things stand if you want to travel or suffer the least interruption to day to day living you really do need to "volunteer" and keep getting done. 

7 minutes ago, ddfg said:

My issue is that its not really voluntary when they keep adding extra vaccinations to the passport to keep it valid. As things stand if you want to travel or suffer the least interruption to day to day living you really do need to "volunteer" and keep getting done. 

I'm expecting the passport to be dropped in the next few weeks and internationally by the summer. At the moment the 4th jag is only for the shielded, by the time it's more widely available I doubt it will be much of an issue whether you take it or not.