Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

To access the restaurant, you can either show your vaccine certificate and receive a wrist band to avoid replicating the process or go through the process every time.

No way the Mrs and myself are going about with a wristband.

The girl on the door is getting fed up processing us every time.

Stuff them.

one.jpg.189d1ddd33d2741f98a4de4f1e251fd8.jpg

14 minutes ago, red23 said:

It's one thing lifting restrictions but it's another to say no more working from home, back to the office everyone in one fell swoop.

like weening vs cold turkey for addicts

only its the masses rather than the few, hysteria rather than drugs

36 minutes ago, Michael W said:

You're going to be disappointed, then, because I didn't 'essentially withdraw' it. It was an expansion  of what I meant when it was posted and I don't think it changes the fundamental point that you didn't like when it was quoted in isolation. 

Society has made available the vaccine that gives you a high degree of protection from severe covid. You can take it (starting the process of protecting your health in this way) or leave it. This will be enough for many people, but maybe some don't feel this protects them enough. They can then decide whether or not they wish to take further action to better protect themselves, taking responsibility for their own health. That further action is the "end" initially referenced, as they are additional actions one might take to further protect themselves.  

You would have been better confining your remarks to the very specific then.

Speaking of where people's health responsibilities begin and end was somewhat all embracing.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

You’re right Granny.  I was on of those predicting that the SG’s actions would have a negative impact on their standing in the polls.  Looks like I was wrong.

No problem, we all get things wrong.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Almost reminiscent of the Nazis.

Slightly like that where I am in Tenerife.

To access the restaurant, you can either show your vaccine certificate and receive a wrist band to avoid replicating the process or go through the process every time.

Shit, you're right.

The way you describe things, the situation could scarcely be more reminiscent of what life must have been like under the Nazis.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

This is just so appalling.
Who would have thought that Australia would have descended into such authoritarianism?
Almost reminiscent of the Nazis.
Slightly like that where I am in Tenerife.
Stuff them.

Yep - restrictions are just like 6 million Jews dying . . .

[emoji849]

Maybe try and explain why you don't agree with it, then, rather than assuming your standard role as the thread's posturing moral arbiter. Maybe you'd get less grief if you did that rather than quote a cherry picked sentence with something like "wow, libertarian type post!" or your endless girning about a subtext with no further comment. 
Your health is primarily *your* responsibility. Clearly you disagree with this so I'm genuinely interested to understand why. 
Everyone that is over the age of 12 and wants a Covid vaccine has had the opportunity to get one. This is their decision and it is their responsibility to make that decision. It is not for society to make this decision. Indeed, most have had the opportunity to get their booster and in many cases a third dose. The vaccines are effective at preventing serious illness. 
It turns out that the vaccines are not however much use now at stopping you getting covid or indeed passing it on if you have it. So if people continued to be frightened of getting covid, what to do? Limit interactions? Not undertake "high risk" activities, wear a mask? These are personal decisions and responsibilities. Society isn't going to make all of these determinations instead. Facemasks are mandatory currently in many of these "high risk" settings and yet people still get the virus anyway. 
Masks, at least in England, will soon no longer be mandatory. So with your three vaccinations and your own mask not coming off, then what? You can buy a FFP2 or FFP3 mask, which offer you a much higher rate of protection, backed up by studies. Indeed, the FFP3 masks were shown to offer NHS frontline staff up to 100% protection from infection. But I seldom see people wearing these masks, instead usually sporting a cloth or surgical mask that has probably been reused a number of times. Too much of an effort to protect your own health, and something best left us to *everyone else* instead. Again, this is a personal decision, and something people need to take responsibility for. 
Society has sacrificed more than enough and put up with draconian restrictions for nearly two years in the name of protecting public health. Indeed a vaccine has been produced which has more than taken the sting out of the pandemic - peak hospitalisations are half of what they were during the Alpha wave, despite cases being 2.5-3x higher. Daily deaths are also down by a factor of 5; the vaccines work, society has protection available to everyone that de-risks the virus. It has fulfilled a big responsibility by making this vaccine available and providing a high level of protection available to all that want it.  
But that's only part of it. If you're not vaccinated, you don't get that additional protection. It is *your* responsibility to make that call. And if you are at increased risk despite your vaccines, it is incumbent on *you* to take the measures necessary to protect yourself. And this is what I mean by your health beginning and ending with *you*. 
It is a personal choice to whether or not you get vaccinated. Your responsibility to make that call. 
Society (well, government and the much-maligned big pharma) provided the vaccine and therefore.the protection it brings. This provides a very good baseline protection for the public. 
If that still isn't enough, it is a personal responsibility to determine what might be needed to make sure you feel safe, whatever that may be. It is not incumbent on society (which has already provided you with a good safety net). 
Society has played its part.The tools are there for people to take additional precautions, but rather than do this people just seem to complain. Why? The amount of whining I see about masks no longer being mandatory and how terrified this makes people is wildly disproportionate to the amount of people I actually see wearing proper masks. If you are genuinely worried, you will take that extra step rather than moaning that everyone else should wear an ill-fitting mask that's been used 9 times without a wash and do it for you (or at least give you the illusion they're protecting you). 

Again, if you are genuinely concerned over masks look up the different purposes masks are used for. If you base an argument on FFP respirators doing the same job as FRSMs, then the points you raise in the rest of your post become liable to be treated with the same level of respect as the others who see "masks" as an all encompassing term for everything from BP-RPE to a manky old RangAyr scarf slung over the face.

Rant

Not saying I agree or disagree with your other remarks but, while I am fairly ignorant on the real situation in Scotland at the moment (you'll excuse me for not taking the most active posters' tirades as gospel), there are some things I am knowledgeable about. One is that this is not a black and white situation, and the likes of MT, Wee Bully, WelshBairn and a few others deserve at least the respect of their views being listened to before rejected, rather than being treated to a torrent of ad hominem attacks which is becoming a hallmark of this thread.
/rant.

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Oh, and Ireland firing their Covid pass straight in the bin. Face masks retained for now but likely gone by the end of February. Over to the Scottish Government...

I can see the SG and Welsh governments doing similar soon. 

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

You need to have your booster now to be considered fully vaccinated in Scotland.  This was slipped in a couple of weeks ago. 

I caught covid before I got my booster, so haven't been eligible to be fully vaccinated.

What a fucking nonsense, infection should create a temporary exemption.

Either way, I've done LFT, it's negative and I'll show them the text confirming as such tomorrow at the gate.

33 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Again, if you are genuinely concerned over masks look up the different purposes masks are used for. If you base an argument on FFP respirators doing the same job as FRSMs, then the points you raise in the rest of your post become liable to be treated with the same level of respect as the others who see "masks" as an all encompassing term for everything from BP-RPE to a manky old RangAyr scarf slung over the face.

Rant

Not saying I agree or disagree with your other remarks but, while I am fairly ignorant on the real situation in Scotland at the moment (you'll excuse me for not taking the most active posters' tirades as gospel), there are some things I am knowledgeable about. One is that this is not a black and white situation, and the likes of MT, Wee Bully, WelshBairn and a few others deserve at least the respect of their views being listened to before rejected, rather than being treated to a torrent of ad hominem attacks which is becoming a hallmark of this thread.
/rant.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

My response would be hair-trigger reactionary and very aggressive I have to say.

I hope it never happens because I really don't like being like that but I know what I would be like and it's one reason why I want the mandate dropped. Some poor b*****d who thinks he means well is going to get an absolute roasting in public and then I'm going to spend weeks feeling terrible about it. 🤣

In what possible world is being aggressive, to someone on likely low pay whos employer has asked them to make sure they ask people to abide by the rules, the correct course of action?

If you go mental at someone who asks you to put a mask on its you being the arse in that situation not them. They don't make the rules and are just trying to get through the day. 

If you have a grievance about the rules air it with folk that can change stuff. 

After the pandemic has blown through there is still no need to act the c**t.

Edited by 101