Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Someone else has probably said it since it's fairly obvious but England taking away all measures is simply to save Boris the outrage he's currently facing. It's a stupid idea in the long run but might well buy him a few more months. 

There is no way he can enforce the measures as no one will listen, he can't be on TV asking people to abide by the restrictions as people will just laugh at him. It would be foolish for Scotland to follow something that is simply an exercise to save face.

Edited by red23

20 minutes ago, red23 said:

Someone else has probably said it since it's fairly obvious but England taking away all measures is simply to save Boris the outrage he's currently facing. It's a stupid idea in the long run but might well buy him a few more months. 

Why?  In the long run we will be following suit.  The very notion that I need to wear a mask to protect you is ludicrous when masks exist to protect the wearer.

You are really just another that has been conditioned into irrational behaviour (albeit yours extends far beyond Covid 😁)

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

Why?  In the long run we will be following suit.  The very notion that I need to wear a mask to protect you is ludicrous when masks exist to protect the wearer.

You are really just another that has been conditioned into irrational behaviour (albeit yours extends far beyond Covid 😁)

I think a gradual approach is better and it's not just about masks. The danger is if you go bang straight back to the way it was overnight with no restrictions anywhere, particularly in London with people being "ordered" back to the daily rush hour.

As i said this isn't a calculated choice he's made, it's a choice he's been forced to make and its a roll of the dice due to his own stupidity and is a desperate attempt to win the public back. 

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

For disagreeing with a fellow poster? No.

For using phrases such as  "screaming absurdity" and then pretending you're shocked that people are unwilling to engage properly with you? Yes.

I'm not sure who your intended audience is for that kind of attitude but it's your problem not mine.

I hadn't yet called it a screaming absurdity when you jumped in.  I'd just highlighted that subtext thing you don't like.

It was screamingly absurd though, which is why he essentially withdrew it.

There is no way he can enforce the measures as no one will listen, he can't be on TV asking people to abide by the restrictions as people will just laugh at him. It would be foolish for Scotland to follow something that is simply an exercise to save face.
How is it a stupid idea? There's been literally no effect on cases or hospitilations by not bringing in further restrictions. Lifting what little they have in place will likely also have no effect.

What is a stupid idea is bringing in restrictions, pretending they work and then lifting restrictions despite insisting that an overwhelming majority of people support them.

Say what you like about Boris and the Tories but whether it's been by luck or judgment (almost certainly luck) they've got the last few weeks spot on.

56 minutes ago, Detournement said:

You don't think it's strange that Partygate was pulled out on the first full work week after Johnson broke ranks with the rest of Europe on Christmas restrictions?

If Starmer had been in power he would have done exactly what Sturgeon did but been able to use all the propaganda methods Whitehall has at it's disposal to stoke up more fear and compliance.

More ifs and coincidences it is. Tremendous stuff.

The Steve Baker's and Mark Harper's of the Tory party had as much to benefit from 'Partygate' than the supposed WEF sleeper agents.

Honestly. 😭

52 minutes ago, red23 said:

It would be foolish for Scotland to follow something that is simply an exercise to save face.

But enough about cancelling Edinburgh's Hogmanay, scuppering 75% of Glasgow's Celtic Connections (because live events can't just click their fingers to restart on a government green light), ongoing vaccine passports for Championship football games and mask mandates for triple vaccinated adults but not for (surprise again!) the non-vaccinated weans - what is your point about Westminster policy? 

Edited by vikingTON

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I hadn't yet called it a screaming absurdity when you jumped in.  I'd just highlighted that subtext thing you don't like.

It was screamingly absurd though, which is why he essentially withdrew it.

You're going to be disappointed, then, because I didn't 'essentially withdraw' it. It was an expansion  of what I meant when it was posted and I don't think it changes the fundamental point that you didn't like when it was quoted in isolation. 

Society has made available the vaccine that gives you a high degree of protection from severe covid. You can take it (starting the process of protecting your health in this way) or leave it. This will be enough for many people, but maybe some don't feel this protects them enough. They can then decide whether or not they wish to take further action to better protect themselves, taking responsibility for their own health. That further action is the "end" initially referenced, as they are additional actions one might take to further protect themselves.  

17 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Say what you like about Boris and the Tories but whether it's been by luck or judgment (almost certainly luck) they've got the last few weeks spot on.

It's not really luck at this stage to take the Michael Fish forecasting skills of Neil Ferguson, the 'Warwick model' and all the other proven busted flushes and just automatically divide them by ten to get a realistic measurement of the impact.

The real question of judgment rests with Nicola Sturgeon and the wider smug Scottish public health lobby in particular, who rejected the clear evidence from South Africa that a short term, glorified cold was on the cards. To what extent this was personal arrogance and what part was racist chauvinism should be established by a public inquiry. 

They'll wrap it up after covering 2020 decisions though. 

28 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

How is it a stupid idea? There's been literally no effect on cases or hospitilations by not bringing in further restrictions. Lifting what little they have in place will likely also have no effect.

What is a stupid idea is bringing in restrictions, pretending they work and then lifting restrictions despite insisting that an overwhelming majority of people support them.

It's one thing lifting restrictions but it's another to say no more working from home, back to the office everyone in one fell swoop.

2 hours ago, Glennie said:

'wellness camp'

'quarantine commissioner'

'facility'

'welcome arrivals'

and the uniform

fucking hell.......

This is just so appalling.

Who would have thought that Australia would have descended into such authoritarianism?
Almost reminiscent of the Nazis.

Slightly like that where I am in Tenerife.

To access the restaurant, you can either show your vaccine certificate and receive a wrist band to avoid replicating the process or go through the process every time.

No way the Mrs and myself are going about with a wristband.

The girl on the door is getting fed up processing us every time.

Stuff them.

Edited by Dawson Park Boy
Grammar

8 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

This is just so appalling.

Who would have thought that Australia would have descended into such authoritarianism?
Almost reminiscent of the Nazis.

Slightly like that where I am in Tenerife.

To access the restaurant, you can either show your vaccine certificate and receive a wrist band to avoid replicating the process or go through the process every time.

No way the Mrs and myself are going about with a wristband.

The girl on the door is getting fed up processing us every time.

Stuff them.

"In Russia I am Ivan, in Sweden I am Jan..."