Coronavirus (COVID-19)

That's my local GP surgery texted to say that they'll be ignoring Sturgeon's announcement and retaining all restrictions until further notice "to keep staff and patients safe".
Not sure how I feel about that TBH.
They've had quite a problem down there with continual staff absences so I'm inclined to give them a bit of leeway for the moment.
It does highlight a major concern that I have which is that after 2 years of mask and distancing addiction, weaning people off this sort of lifejacket is going to be a nightmare and I expect we'll have different businesses and organisations setting their own rules depending on how neurotic their owners are. All this means going out for a meal or a night out is going to be an absolute lottery in terms of what you need to do to enter different premises. Frustratingly I think it's going to take years before we can ever just nip out for a meal or a beer on a whim without having to check their conditions of entry in advance. A country full of neurotic, panicky, OCD freaks could end up being Sturgeon's legacy.
Funnily enough I've had a very similar email from a WoS LA under the heading of return to work. If you are categorised as "hybrid" (majority are categorized as home workers going forward) you may return to the office once the WFH restrictions are removed but they are insisting on LF testing and SD plus masks when that day actually comes. Thankfully (well pre Covid anyway) I only had to visit one of their offices about once every couple of months but their HQ building houses around 600 staff at that time. Seems those unable to be classed as home workers for whatever reason are going to be subject to a "new normal". Wonder how long this will go on for.

13 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

image.png.076378de62e5c1b1a887eca351cb00b9.png

Top boi, Francois Balloux, was stating over a year ago that these places would likely have problems like this, for obvious reasons.

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Who are these weirdos?

I also only saw this because Nicola Sturgeon retweeted it. She will never, ever admit that she might have got it wrong.

People in feeling indifferent to things they're not really arsed about or affected by shocker!

2 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Jason Leitch on the radio this morning suggesting mask usage in schools is away to get binned.

No doubt this is part of the slow roll back of all restrictions, now that even the SG have to admit this is all pretty much over.

It's as if most of the Scottish Government advisory team have got together to collectively agree on the pivot, which was first put out there in Devi's latest Guardian article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60081412

The "day is coming" when the use of face masks in Scotland's schools will end, a top government adviser has said.

The Scottish government's national clinical director, Prof Jason Leitch, said he believed the requirement to wear masks in schools will be withdrawn soon, but he did not know when.

Prof Leitch also said science had now been able to "de-fang" Covid, and the worst was likely behind us.

He said an education recovery group, chaired by the public health expert and government adviser Linda Bauld, would make recommendations to government clinicians about the timing of the removal.

Prof Leitch was also asked about a claim by another public health expert, Prof Devi Sridhar, that science had "de-fanged" the virus.

He agreed, and said it was also right to think about how the remaining restrictions should be removed.

Pointing to working from home, testing and contact tracing, vaccination, and face coverings, he said these had to be removed gradually.

"We've learned removing the plaster all at once goes badly.

"So don't do it all at once. Do it gradually."

He added: "I think we have de-fanged the virus to some extent, and I think these things will in time go."

Not unexpected, but no less shameless. The legal requirement to wear masks will be replaced by 'we strongly advise you to' by Easter is my prediction.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

A flight from London to Miami turned around and grounded due to a woman refusing to wear a mask. 

Stop the world, I’m getting off. 

I'd be almost certain the flight was returned due to the passenger becoming disruptive/violent after being asked to wear one and not the non-wearing of the mask itself tbf. 

3 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Jason Leitch on the radio this morning suggesting mask usage in schools is away to get binned.

No doubt this is part of the slow roll back of all restrictions, now that even the SG have to admit this is all pretty much over.

Masks should be binned in all sectors.

Edited by Lyle Lanley

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That's my local GP surgery texted to say that they'll be ignoring Sturgeon's announcement and retaining all restrictions until further notice "to keep staff and patients safe".

Not sure how I feel about that TBH.

They've had quite a problem down there with continual staff absences so I'm inclined to give them a bit of leeway for the moment.

It does highlight a major concern that I have which is that after 2 years of mask and distancing addiction, weaning people off this sort of lifejacket is going to be a nightmare and I expect we'll have different businesses and organisations setting their own rules depending on how neurotic their owners are. All this means going out for a meal or a night out is going to be an absolute lottery in terms of what you need to do to enter different premises. Frustratingly I think it's going to take years before we can ever just nip out for a meal or a beer on a whim without having to check their conditions of entry in advance. A country full of neurotic, panicky, OCD freaks could end up being Sturgeon's legacy.

We had at least one of those in the family before all this started, tbh

14 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'd be almost certain the flight was returned due to the passenger becoming disruptive/violent after being asked to wear one and not the non-wearing of the mask itself tbf. 

You are probably right. I’ll stand down on this one. 

40 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And there's one from me too.

Honestly MT, if this is what you need to do to feel fulfilled, you really need to get a life mate.

What, for highlighting the screaming absurdity of someone seriously claiming that health concerns begin and end with the individual?

Sorry, but I think that's an utterly bonkers notion and will say so.  

I'd imagine it's more fulfilling than unleashing a torrent of red dots and boasting about it.

Question for anyone who has been to a public event.

I'm getting my booster on Sunday as the 28 day period from when my covid cleared passed yesterday.

So I have my NHS Scotland app for the game at Ayr on Saturday. It shows me as double jagged and has a section as 'recovery' as the app knows I tested positive for covid so can't get jagged.

But if I move onto the Scotland part of the app, it shows that my covid status isn't valid. Why is this? Surely if I'm protected for international, I also should be for domestic. Either way, to appease them , I've just done an LFT and it's came up negative so I registered it on the Gov/NHS website. How long does this take to show on the app or do I just need to present the text/email to the scanning folk at a game?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

But if I move onto the Scotland part of the app, it shows that my covid status isn't valid. Why is this? Surely if I'm protected for international, I also should be for domestic. Either way, to appease them , I've just done an LFT and it's came up negative so I registered it on the Gov/NHS website. How long does this take to show on the app or do I just need to present the text/email to the scanning folk at a game?

They have linked the app to your posting on P&B and if you are too involved with the Covid thread they invalidate your Covid status.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What, for highlighting the screaming absurdity of someone seriously claiming that health concerns begin and end with the individual?

Sorry, but I think that's an utterly bonkers notion and will say so.  

I'd imagine it's more fulfilling than unleashing a torrent of red dots and boasting about it.

I agree that as a sweeping statement it’s not great but I understand the sentiment. People seem to have lost sight of what the government role is in their individual health.

The state I would say is obliged to educate and provide guidance on health and also take steps to not actively put people in harms way But actually acting on that advice is, broadly, on the individual.

The government can give all the advice it likes on obesity etc but you wouldn’t want them to ban all unhealthy food or place restrictions on buying them. similar with alcohol. 

This idea that you must feel safe at all times and the government should be legislating to achieve that is just as bonkers.