Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

That's me boostered.

Ive now had 2 Astrazeneca and 2 Pfizer! Hopefully that's the last vaccine for a while!

Did you get a letter or did you book it yourself? Got a Government text saying to expect a letter but the first 3 I had to arrange myself.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Did you get a letter or did you book it yourself? Got a Government text saying to expect a letter but the first 3 I had to arrange myself.

I just went onto the portal and booked myself. The site up at the Retail Park was absolutely dead so if you are 12 weeks after your last vaccine you'll be able to walk in. 

I think I read on the BBC that 100,000 children have effectively dropped off the education radar since this all began.
That is horrific if true.
We've got pupils marked as CPI on the register which means the parents/guardians are keeping them off school because of Covid against the advice of the school.

That being said, many of the same pupils were rarely in pre-Covid.

Another one from my kid's class down with a cold that we need to be told about.

In recent days we have been made aware of a member of our school community in P7B who has tested positive for COVID-19. This letter is to inform you that your child has been identified as having been in ‘low risk’ contact with this person. This means they may have shared a classroom or had some other low risk contact in school.

There is no need for your child to isolate unless contacted separately by Test and Protect and asked to do so. School remains open and your child should continue to attend if they are well.

The public health judgement that these types of contact are low risk is based on a range of factors, including vaccination rates, evidence about transmission from children and young people, and the low risk of direct health harms to children.

53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I can't speak for every university, but where I work the university (quite rightly I think) started off on the principle that every single course should expect to have some sort of on-campus presence this year. If all the small classes ran completely as normal then there would be no capacity left for the bigger classes to have any on-campus learning at all. That was what I was getting at - making a decision about one course impacts directly on every other course too due to staffing and room capacity.

Therefore your suggestion that your daughter (I think) in her class of 15 could have attended as normal would have been to the detriment of many other students on many other courses.  Perhaps they are at a different university to mine and absolutely no on-campus provision has been provided, which I think would be wrong.

The comment you made which started off this discussion with was along the lines of (and I'm paraphrasing because I can't be bothered to go back and check) "teachers have been turning up and teaching so why shouldn't lecturers also be?" Given that I've been exceptionally busy over the last two years putting together online teaching resources - which takes far more time than just turning up and talking, since you have to edit your videos, sort out subtitles and so on - you can surely understand why that sort of comment would bristle.

The pandemic and the subsequent restrictions have absolutely been detrimental to my career and to most others at an early career stage, since all that time spent doing the extra teaching preparation (and now sometimes having to teach on-campus things more than once due to the restrictions) has taken away from research and other career development activities. Therefore an insinuation of laziness or being unwilling to work as hard as teachers over the pandemic is not something that sits well with me.

Ok, I can understand why such a comment got under your skin.  It wasn't really intended as a slight against your entire profession, but I can see why it might have felt a bit like one.

The case closest to me has seen literally one face to face delivery of teaching in 16 months.  I think that's ludicrous and indefensible, but it looks like you probably do too.

Happy to leave it there, lest VT gets all animated again.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Sigh. Can't just post your clarification and leave it at that eh?

Have to have your wee dig at the end.

Every post.

No actually.

I'm genuinely a bit wary of straying into such territory on here, because I know how certain posters treat it, and feel they've licence to.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

No actually.

I'm genuinely a bit wary of straying into such territory on here, because I know how certain posters treat it, and feel they've licence to.

Why haven't you just stopped posting about it? Baffling. 

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why haven't you just stopped posting about it? Baffling. 

Is that how you want things?

People reluctant to post in case they get hounded over it?

Yip, that sounds healthy.  I really don't make it up regarding this thread.

38 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

We've got pupils marked as CPI on the register which means the parents/guardians are keeping them off school because of Covid against the advice of the school.

That being said, many of the same pupils were rarely in pre-Covid.

Same

25 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No actually.

It's just one injustice after another for P and B's equivalent of Rosa Parks. Stay strong. x

33 minutes ago, Left Back said:

CPI?

Most schools use a system called SEEMIS to record absences, there are different codes depending on why a pupil is absent. SEEMIS added more codes to describe absences due to Covid.

3 hours ago, deegee said:

Personally, I do worry that the majority of the Scottish public have been so beaten and are so meekly submissive, that there actually is a push back from getting back to normal. You see it in lots of anecdotal areas where shops, education and many businesses never did let up on social distancing, obsessive mask wearing and forcing hand sanitiser the second anyone looks in their direction.

I frankly fear this type of forum is the occasionally mocked “ echo chamber” of sanity and for years we’ll be seeing folk walking around in goggles, hoods, masks and gloves whilst shopping in case a stranger coughs and they catch a cold.

Boozy Cow in Edinburgh a prime example of this. Went in October and what once was an ok place in the middle of town to have a pint has been turned into a Covid hellhole. Signs about vax and masks everywhere, no getting to your seat without doing test and trace, table service only etc etc. Thoroughly miserable experience for the half hour I was there. Places like that, luckily, will be left in the gutter whilst everywhere else gets back to normal

Edited by bairn88

33 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's my local GP surgery texted to say that they'll be ignoring Sturgeon's announcement and retaining all restrictions until further notice "to keep staff and patients safe".

Not sure how I feel about that TBH.

They've had quite a problem down there with continual staff absences so I'm inclined to give them a bit of leeway for the moment.

It does highlight a major concern that I have which is that after 2 years of mask and distancing addiction, weaning people off this sort of lifejacket is going to be a nightmare and I expect we'll have different businesses and organisations setting their own rules depending on how neurotic their owners are. All this means going out for a meal or a night out is going to be an absolute lottery in terms of what you need to do to enter different premises. Frustratingly I think it's going to take years before we can ever just nip out for a meal or a beer on a whim without having to check their conditions of entry in advance. A country full of neurotic, panicky, OCD freaks could end up being Sturgeon's legacy.

I think most hospitality venues are desperate to get back to normal. A lot of small pubs just ignored the recent restrictions. Big chain places might be slightly different.

I do fear that you could be right in terms of offices though. No legal rules but random company A demanding you put a mask on to go to the toilet or get a coffee.

Edited by Halbeath Raith Rover

2 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Places like that, luckily, will be left in the gutter whilst everywhere else gets back to normal

One of the local restaurant/bars has reopened after their self-imposed Covid break and doubled down as a 'dog-friendly eatery'. Makes sense to try and pull all of the assorted weirdos to your business at the same time I guess.

And keeps all the losers safely out of sight for the vast majority too. 

1502556279404.jpg.5ecd961a1049bcffff240f4532091b22.jpg