Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/20/covid-england-mask-boris-johnson-omicron

The absolute, fucking nick of this:

Don't forget your safety goggles and face visor to stop those pesky viruses getting in through the eyes as well!

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

While the mask mandate may have gone, and some people will joyously doff their masks, many will remain rightly concerned about Covid-19, the potential for getting long Covid and the effect that the lack of restrictions will have on the lives of vulnerable people. 

So there it is in black and white. If you don't want to wear a mask it means you simply don't care about covid, long covid or vulnerable people.

It must be true because she has declared it to be a fact.

That article reeks of sanctimony.

😭

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

The hashtags used in the tweet I posted - loads of mothers posting pictures of their kids saying similar things. "This is my son and I do not consent to him being deliberately exposed to infection...."

The hilariously absurd notion that kids should never get exposed to the sniffles at school is absolutely unhinged. These people need genuine psychological help.

33 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Also the Czech Republic are binning its vaccine passport requirements.

No wonder. Imagine thinking vaccine passports in vaccine sceptical central/eastern Europe wouldn't start to torch your economy.

It's the reason why these measures will fail and wash away despite what Detournement hears on his Joe Rogan podcasts.

Another wee trip to Prague on the cards would be pleasing, though. quitegood.png

38 minutes ago, Elixir said:

😭

The hilariously absurd notion that kids should never get exposed to the sniffles at school is absolutely unhinged. These people need genuine psychological help.

They are just vile morons who won’t hesitate to use their kids to help feed their attention addiction.

322dc7f91b5c458c0011c92aec5713df.gif

Posted at 14:59

'Scrapping restrictions makes me feel like second-class citizen'image.gif.bb52c2306f56640b0b41386c2f46ea92.gif78c66439-70b9-4197-a262-2d4cfe6d21f0.jpg

Copyright: EPA

While some may be celebrating the rolling back of Covid restrictions in England, Bernie McGreavey in West Yorkshire is not.

Bernie, who has an inflammatory arthritic condition that makes her clinically extremely vulnerable, tells BBC Radio 4's World at One programme that the changes are "really worrying" for her and make her feel like a "second-class citizen".

Even before the changes, she had to do a "risk assessment" before deciding to go somewhere, she says, ending up sticking to places she knows are, for example, well-ventilated.

"Today, I've been out to a local shopping centre with my niece," Bernie says, adding that most people were wearing masks.

"This time next week I will probably not be going to that shopping centre, because the majority of people will not be wearing masks."

Is now the right time to drop restrictions? "For me, it feels too much too soon," Bernie says.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

To be fair, Ross has completely misrepresented Wishart's comments.

A quick search on the Daily Mail article and I can see his direct quote.

Don't know about anyone else but I'm sick of politicians like Ross treating the public like idiots.

I think that’s a Venn diagram with very few politicians outside that particular definition.

Ridiculous as it sounds, Bojo - solely by virtue of trying to save his own skin and create the oft-used  ‘look, something shiny over there!!’ diversion - has been the only one to give the public back any kind of think-for-yourself mandate and actually not treat them like idiots. 

Spoiler

Yes, treating the public like idiots on the party stuff I know but the bigger picture (IMO) is binning the restrictions, however that is achieved. 

Who cares if there are 100 or 100,000 positive tests a day, hospital numbers aren't dangerously high, infections aren't as serious any more and the better weather is just round the corner. If we can't bin restictions now we never will. 
I like your optimism but it's the 20th January hence in Scotland we are months from "the better weather"

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, ddfg said:
Who cares if there are 100 or 100,000 positive tests a day, hospital numbers aren't dangerously high, infections aren't as serious any more and the better weather is just round the corner. If we can't bin restictions now we never will. 

I like your optimism but it's the 20th January hence in Scotland we are months from "the better weather"

Nice sunny day here today, maybe I was just getting carried away with it still being light at 5 o'clock

Stormont ministers have agreed to drop the use of vaccine passports in pubs, restaurants and cinemas in Northern Ireland from midday on Wednesday.

The move is part of several relaxations to Northern Ireland's Covid rules.

It means proof of Covid status will no longer be legally required in hospitality premises from 26 January.

The system will remain in place for nightclubs and indoor unseated and partially-seated events with 500 or more people in attendance.

Ministers have also agreed to remove rules on table service in hospitality businesses and the so-called "rule of six" per table from midday on Friday.

It is understood that hospitality businesses will still be advised in guidance to retain use of Covid certification.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-60044349

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Classes of 15 would have done.

Anyway, I can't see you ever having to concern yourself with the fate of offspring, so don't worry about it.

Ignoring the crude and fairly unpleasant personal attack, can you please talk me through the practicalities of every single university course being taught on campus whilst still complying with some degree of social distancing?

When giving your answer, please bear in mind that even the biggest lecture theatres which can normally hold 200+ have capacities of 50 under the current distancing advice being used by universities, and most rooms are much smaller than this and have smaller maximum capacities as a result.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Classes of 15 would have done.

Anyway, I can't see you ever having to concern yourself with the fate of offspring, so don't worry about it.

See if you find yourself so angry on an Internet forum that you actually type out something like that? It’s a sign that you need to step away. Or it’s a marker of character, one of the two.

Dread to think how many cases this might have been if they didn't have vaccine passports and hadn't banned eating and drinking on trains!

For context, around 0.8% of the entire population tested positive on a single day.

Edited by Michael W

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Dread to think how many cases this might have been if they didn't have vaccine passports and hadn't banned eating and drinking on trains!

For context, around 0.8% of the entire population tested positive on a single day.

Completely inevitable once the world's shittest public health 'expert' pinned her colours to their gormless vaccine passport. Literally a 100% fail rate:

https://www.scotsman.com/health/covid-scotland-cafes-gyms-and-indoor-venues-should-be-added-to-wider-vaccine-passport-scheme-would-reduce-pressure-on-nhs-says-devi-sridhar-3436591

Prof Sridhar said: “If we look at New York City, France, Italy, Germany ... they're much stricter on indoor venues.

"If you go to a coffee shop in Germany and you sit outside, they don't ask you for any proof of anything. But if you want to go inside, you need to show proof of a negative test in the past 24 hours or double vaccination.

Prof Sridhar added: “The thing I think that is tragic now is we're having people die who probably don't need to die. Our case rates are so much higher and our death rates are so much higher than other countries in Europe.

3a7.jpg.32b6ce3b005f17b051f35229a549b0e5.jpg

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

It's beginning to look like France might have peaked too and are now on a sharp decline in cases.

It's incredible how unwilling countries are to look at other countries which have shown massive peaks followed by massive drops a few days later with no major effect on hospitilisations or deaths and realise that it's just something they have to deal with for a week or two before it blows over. Every country panics into bringing in one useless restriction after another.

A bit less panicking and a bit more calming the f**k doon would do us all some good.

Remain Calm All Is Well GIF