Coronavirus (COVID-19)

42 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Were excess deaths not fairly significant in the early part of the calendar year?

Probably more accurate to say their period since vaccinations were largely delivered has been successful.

You are right to say the early part of the year was disastrous but that’s probably down to failings in late November when delta arrived. 

58 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Rather bewildering interview with that GP on BBC Breakfast there.

Basically boiled down to we should be keeping vaccine passports and masks for now because:

-They are easy

-People have gotten used to them

-People just feel safer

I've no specific argument against each point as all are somewhat true (except masks during an entire day's work), but it spectacularly misses the point about why people would like to see them gone, and falls way short of the the argument that should be required to support maintaining emergency measures.

Also heard this and was very frustrating. She did the whole ‘what is normal anyway?’ Thing about masks too. 

It needs challenged. 

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Basically boiled down to we should be keeping vaccine passports and masks for now because:

-They are easy

-People just feel safer

I've no specific argument against each point as all are somewhat true (except masks during an entire day's work), but it spectacularly misses the point about why people would like to see them gone, and falls way short of the the argument that should be required to support maintaining emergency measures.

It misses the point that facial expressions are very important for social interaction therefore masks should never be normalised. 

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

-They are easy

-People just feel safer

That GP should be struck off for being a fucking moron.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Also heard this and was very frustrating. She did the whole ‘what is normal anyway?’ Thing about masks too. 

It needs challenged. 

The risk of being fined for not wearing an ill-fitting piece of cloth over your face certainly isn't normal in my book. 

If people want to keep wearing their masks then they are free to do so but they shouldn't be mandatory. And when the more militant maskers start rolling out their favoured line of 'my mask protects you and your masks protects me', they should be directed to buy a FFP3 mask, which studies showed offer the wearer a very high degree of protection and cease their whining.  

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The risk of being fined for not wearing an ill-fitting piece of cloth over your face certainly isn't normal in my book. 

If people want to keep wearing their masks then they are free to do so but they shouldn't be mandatory. And when the more militant maskers start rolling out their favoured line of 'my mask protects you and your masks protects me', they should be directed to buy a FFP3 mask, which studies showed offer the wearer a very high degree of protection and cease their whining.  

If the government want to make it guidance that wearing a mask is advisable indoors then fine. 

But we know fine we’ll that the public who are supposedly used to it and feel safer with masks will largely ditch them as soon it’s not law. 

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If the government want to make it guidance that wearing a mask is advisable indoors then fine. 

But we know fine we’ll that the public who are supposedly used to it and feel safer with masks will largely ditch them as soon it’s not law. 

That would be acceptable.  If people want to keep wearing masks indoors, fine, if people don't want to, fine.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

That GP should be struck off for being a fucking moron.

Thing is, I wouldn’t be surprised if a whole load of medical professionals shared similar views, to a greater or lesser extent.

There’s been unprecedented focus on health service pressure, and over the last two years “restrictions” have reared their head as an option for reducing pressure. I can imagine a lot of health service types might want to see this continue in order to reduce waiting lists and to make their working lives more convenient.

Of course it’s a selfish mindset, and cautious governments like ours love it when GP and other medical professionals hit out with this sort of chat. The NHS has been fetishised to the point where questioning nonsense like this is stigmatised, because “they’re at the coalface and so must know what’s happening” whereas in reality they’re often speaking from a position of self interest.

11 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Thing is, I wouldn’t be surprised if a whole load of medical professionals shared similar views, to a greater or lesser extent.

There’s been unprecedented focus on health service pressure, and over the last two years “restrictions” have reared their head as an option for reducing pressure. I can imagine a lot of health service types might want to see this continue in order to reduce waiting lists and to make their working lives more convenient.

Of course it’s a selfish mindset, and cautious governments like ours love it when GP and other medical professionals hit out with this sort of chat. The NHS has been fetishised to the point where questioning nonsense like this is stigmatised, because “they’re at the coalface and so must know what’s happening” whereas in reality they’re often speaking from a position of self interest.

There is a long-standing authoritarian streak in doctors, it's not a new thing. 

Covid wasn't a thing before 2020 and the target until then was basically anything that's unhealthy. Usually a demand that the government taxed things more, with the soft drinks levy being a policy win for them. Of course the demand then was that other high sugar products should follow. See also minimum pricing on alcohol. 

From a purely clinical perspective I understand their views on it. But in reality it's just the standard disapproval of things that we've seen throughout the whole pandemic. They disapprove of something and so it must either be banned or people made to pay more for their choices.

13 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

NHS has been fetishised to the point where questioning nonsense like this is stigmatised, because “they’re at the coalface and so must know what’s happening”

Even then it’s selective. Nicola Sturgeons attitude towards Sandesh Gulnane is a disgrace simply because of his party. She can’t see beyond it, no matter the points he raises and how valid they are based on his real life experience in the health service.

Howling at this pearler from Clownshoes:

Scotland's national clinical director Prof Jason Leitch says that things are "hopeful" across the UK in terms of Covid cases.

He says it looks as though "in the next little while" Scotland will be over the peak of Omicron which is why the country is able to consider easing protections.

He says that the lifting of restrictions is being done is phases because if you "open up slowly that usually helps".

Indoor events, such as theatres and cinemas, will be reopened from next Monday and Prof Leitch says the government is still urging people to be careful and take a lateral flow test before going to such events.

"Don't just throw all caution to the wind," he says.

He says lateral flow tests should remain free for the moment and says as far as he is aware there are no plans to end that among politicians currently.

Why are these people such crazies?

6a2fe74a-7aca-48b7-b465-e22142733758.jpg

11:40

Masks absolutely have to stay - epidemiologist

Epidemiologist Dr Helen Wimalarathna, from the University of Buckingham, has been telling the BBC she hopes the government looks at individual measures rather than Plan B as a whole.

She says “masks absolutely have to stay in shops and on public transport”, but adds working from home and Covid passes “are probably not going to give much additional benefit at the moment”.

But she’s keen to stress that “this is not the end of the pandemic… [and] we will see more variants”.

Dr Wimalarathna says the government must have a plan to deal with that as well what they are going to do “in the interim to try and bring transmission down”.

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

There is a long-standing authoritarian streak in doctors, it's not a new thing. 

Covid wasn't a thing before 2020 and the target until then was basically anything that's unhealthy. Usually a demand that the government taxed things more, with the soft drinks levy being a policy win for them. Of course the demand then was that other high sugar products should follow. See also minimum pricing on alcohol. 

From a purely clinical perspective I understand their views on it. But in reality it's just the standard disapproval of things that we've seen throughout the whole pandemic. They disapprove of something and so it must either be banned or people made to pay more for their choices.

I dont see the authoritarian streak in the GP’s i know, most want this all over. The wife is a bit more cautious but recognises the need for it to be treated as endemic, just think shes a bit wary incase the variant claxon sounds. 
In fairness to them, well the ones I can speak for, their working lives in practices haven’t gotten easier in the slightest, but I can appreciate how folks who may not have an insight feel that way, if anything with constantly changing guidance, regulations and in many cases contradictory rules from the same health boards it’s become harder. Mrs ICR has retained most of the emails from the health board re covid and its staggering how much conflicting information has been put out, emails which require a wholesale change of practice for GP surgeries being sent out then revoked sometimes the next day. 

There are a number of pressure groups/professional bodies who seem to want to further their agendas through this pandemic, the BMA etc are only doing the same as the teaching unions did for their members in fairness. 

Just had my booster lads. Was offered Moderna, said that I'd come back another day if that was all they had because of my reaction last time. Explained what happened to the nurse, and she found some Pfizer kicking about.

In and out in about 10 minutes. Me and my girlfriend were the only folk in the vaccine centre. Which was lovely.

If I've not posted again by tomorrow morning then start the memorial thread and assume that the Pfizer had a more severe reaction than the Moderna.