Coronavirus (COVID-19)

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Looking at individual days is not that interesting or helpful because of the way information is collated. Not even when it appears to say what you want it to say. There are delays and corrections all over the place so you don't get a meaningful picture. You need to look at trends.

Nothing about the overall trend suggests the restrictions in Wales and Scotland had anything like the positive impact WB so desperately wants to show they did.

Screenshot_20220118-193126_Opera.jpg

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

There are very obvious internal Tory dynamics that aren't being reported on. The summer knifing of Hancock and Gove was a power move by Boris's faction to retake control and Partygate is a response to Boris not imposing restrictions. It's not at all clear who is in each faction. 

It would be impossible for the Tories to hold their electoral coalition together with a Macron style vaccine pass system in place. FPTP means they have different concerns than other European ruling parties. 

You could argue the Tory rebels would leak something to get Johnson out as well. Gove has apologised for wanting restrictions, at least in part because of the revolt. I doubt many Tory MP's still care about restrictions at this point, and certainly not because there's some WEF plot. If any of this nonsense was going to happen it would have at this point. No Tory leader will be able to survive with the anti-restrictions sentiment in the party now either. This will drag both Labour and the devolved administrations into touch. Eventually the Nordics and other parts of Europe will roll back. Places like Poland and Hungary never gave into the group think, though for obvious reasons. The blue states in America will take a pasting later this year if they don't climbdown either.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Given that scientists think almost everyone will catch Covid this winter it's not been suppressed at all.

Look at the death rates in the UK and then look at the death rates in Eastern Europe. That's it.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Even Ireland now suggesting they will let their Coronavirus Act lapse come April, including masks.

This would certainly influence the Scottish Government and give them even more grounds to climbdown. Pleasing.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I am not optimistic in the slightest that masks will be removed this year. It costs the SG nothing and means they can look like they’re still trying to ‘keep people safe’ when others have given up on them.

I think they will. I expect their 'strategic framework' to lay out grounds for things like masks not being needed, loosely speaking, with such scenarios being met come spring/summer, with only 'recommendations' in place. They won't want to visibly look foolish and behind the curve of what the public is actually doing either. I also strongly suspect mask compliance will dip considerably come summer, even up here.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

With regards to the covid passports, firms were advertising 12 month contracts for covid passport checkers at stadiums. I can't see them paying people for 12 months and not using them. 

Unfortunately I think they're here for a bit along with masks. They should be binned as soon as possible. 

Stuff like this was in the offing down south last year and they still fucked everything off in July. I wouldn't look too much into that at all.

It’s almost a cast-iron guarantee that every single one of the scientists, influencers, politicians who were “frontline COVID” will be milking their fame, once this has all settled down. In fairness to them, they’ll argue they gave their all in these times plus publishers, tv shows etc will be hounding them for their bookings. 

You just know that the shark will well and truly have jumped once Leitch, Bauld or Witty are on Dancing in Ice once their weekly columns in the newspapers dry up. 

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ah, a flippant and irrelevant remark.

I'm feeling the love in here for lousy employment practices.

You're doing that extrapolating thing again...

Out of interest, as you appear to be of the opinion there is absolutely no place for zero hour contracts, what robust employment contract do you think would be appropriate for the role of vaccine passport checker at Celtic Park?

Edited by Todd_is_God

31 minutes ago, deegee said:

It’s almost a cast-iron guarantee that every single one of the scientists, influencers, politicians who were “frontline COVID” will be milking their fame, once this has all settled down. In fairness to them, they’ll argue they gave their all in these times plus publishers, tv shows etc will be hounding them for their bookings. 

You just know that the shark will well and truly have jumped once Leitch, Bauld or Witty are on Dancing in Ice once their weekly columns in the newspapers dry up. 

Hopefully the modern David Seaman equivalent bounces Sridhars chin off the ice, several times.

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

He'll always be known as the most incompetent PM the country has seen in living memory unless one of the older folks on here wants to tell us about some shitty 1950s PM who couldn't tie his own shoelaces.

England had a pretty good 2021 in terms of COVID.  Just about restriction free for 6 months. There's plenty of Non COVID reasons to criticise Johnson ( including his dreadful Brexit) but England's COVID performance probably stops him from being regarded as a complete failure. 

Rather bewildering interview with that GP on BBC Breakfast there.

Basically boiled down to we should be keeping vaccine passports and masks for now because:

-They are easy

-People have gotten used to them

-People just feel safer

I've no specific argument against each point as all are somewhat true (except masks during an entire day's work), but it spectacularly misses the point about why people would like to see them gone, and falls way short of the the argument that should be required to support maintaining emergency measures.

In Italy a child cannot now sit and eat in McDonalds without being vaccinated. This world!

Edit...to embellish, a colleague felt ill, took a rapid antigen test and tested positive. On hearing this news another colleague complained because the now positive person had been sitting in the staff room without a mask and said the room should be deep cleaned. All of this is post vaccination. Governments have a lot to answer for but the inability of some to step back and think about what they are saying utterly astounds me.

Edited by jimbaxters