Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, yoda said:

Textbook stuff from this thread.

"Yes. Day Zero makes sense for Day One. Well done Boris."

"No! You can't call the first day Day One! Wee Nippy Sturgeon :@"

Couldn't care less which way they do it so long as they were the same to avoid confusion.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

With a smattering of anger about Gaelic for some reason.

I was in the civil service from 2006 to 2013, and remember the rapid speed (and cost) of renaming everything that moved, re-doing signs to make Scotland look like Wales and so on. 

44 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

There are currently 2,947 and 2,990 cases per specimen date recorded against Saturday and Sunday respectively. I can only assume these are the figures you have (mis)interpreted as being the daily figure?

I read that they have started counting LFTs in the main figure so the lower figure could be just PCR?

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

She said that we need to relax the restrictions gradually to see their impact before announcing more. Is it just me or is that just total nonsense here?

The big announcement last Tuesday was large outdoor events with full crowds were allowed. Given that only took affect from yesterday so we've had one major football in front of a sizeable crowd since that announcement was made. There is no way you can look at last weeks easing today and say "it has had a negative/positive/not noticeable impact".

I'm sure she said we are still waiting to see the impact of schools going back.....its nearly February how care can she be. 

8 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Despite the mess of the last 2 years there's something particularly mental and dark about testing fucking hamsters and rabbits for covid and executing them if they test positive. Monstrous.

Also what the f**k does a PCR test on a hamster even look like?

59 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This is the sort of petty, needless difference which causes so much frustration.

She should just call it what England call it FFS. There's no good reason at all to number the days differently.

She just wants to pick fights at every opportunity.

England should match the Scottish numbering. Day Zero is Americanised shite.

51 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

This goes well beyond Covid and goes right back to 2007 with the SNP coming into power. Plastering Gaelic words across police cars, train stations and ambulances when fewer than 2% of Scots read or speak it. Renaming various agencies and bodies to be distinct and different from the Westminster counterparts. And it's why throughout this pandemic she has been consistently one degree different from England in every regard. Just to show that Scotland is different.

Health is a devolved issue - but would any difference have really been made had all 4 nations adopted the exact same strategy? All these tiny shades of difference have no material benefit to safety - except to undermine it by causing confusion - and are used by politicians. How much of 2020 was Sturgeon enjoying being "seen" to be better than Johnson at this? When at the same time the same mistakes were being made, such as discharging the elderly back into care homes to spread the virus?

The Gaelic Language act was introduced in 2004 by a Labour MSP and approved in 2005 by every sitting MSP from every party, if I remember correctly. The SNP had very little to do with it.

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Despite the mess of the last 2 years there's something particularly mental and dark about testing fucking hamsters and rabbits for covid and executing them if they test positive. Monstrous.

Also what the f**k does a PCR test on a hamster even look like?

Only the hamsters at the pet shop seemed to be affected, with negative results for other animals there such as rabbits and chinchillas. But as a "preventative measure", 2,000 hamsters and other small mammals will be killed.

The animals are spread across 34 different pet shops and animal storage centres.

And any new pet owners who bought a hamster since 22 December, perhaps as a Christmas gift, will need to hand the animal over to authorities for euthanasia.

I had to go and look for the article myself to make sure I wasn't being whooshed on a fake link. 

Do we, as a species, even deserve to make it through the pandemic? Fucking state of that!

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I am delighted to be wrong. 

There is no doubt Sturgeon is choking to do it but we have Boris Johnson to thank for her being restrained. 

We have the Tory rebels to thank. Sturgeon also simply needs ways of climbing down to save face. I expect the 'strategic framework' to include a lot of 'coulds' that won't ever be needed as the reality that the pandemic threat is over becomes clear.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Yes, I think you are probably right.

As for masks, I'm still convinced we're stuck with them for the forseeable future.

As above, I think they'll give themselves wiggle room to climbdown in their 'strategic framework'. In any case, I expect non-compliance to greatly increase as we move through spring and into summer. It will just be natural.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Remember, there are many folk out there who cannot budge from wanting fresh and perpetual lockdowns. 

He is a known danger. And that's being generous.

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I had to go and look for the article myself to make sure I wasn't being whooshed on a fake link. 

Do we, as a species, even deserve to make it through the pandemic? Fucking state of that!

Denmark culled its entire mink population back in 2020 as well. 

Another 'classic' of the pandemic here, although if you were told hamsters were being called because of covid then Hong Kong would be at the top of your 'guess the country' list. 

I still think the town in Spain that bleached their beach wins the prize for utter stupidity. 

11 minutes ago, Elixir said:

We have the Tory rebels to thank. Sturgeon also simply needs ways of climbing down to save face. I expect the 'strategic framework' to include a lot of 'coulds' that won't ever be needed as the reality that the pandemic threat is over becomes clear.

There are very obvious internal Tory dynamics that aren't being reported on. The summer knifing of Hancock and Gove was a power move by Boris's faction to retake control and Partygate is a response to Boris not imposing restrictions. It's not at all clear who is in each faction. 

It would be impossible for the Tories to hold their electoral coalition together with a Macron style vaccine pass system in place. FPTP means they have different concerns than other European ruling parties. 

38 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I was in the civil service from 2006 to 2013, and remember the rapid speed (and cost) of renaming everything that moved, re-doing signs to make Scotland look like Wales and so on. 

mmmmmrhhhm wait wasnt the cost a few million in total? (£16m comes to mind but i recently was way off the mark with how much jet fighters actually cost so fully prepared for it to have been £160M instead. Which makes sense if its £16M a year over say 10 years rather than in total tbf)

Which might make a nice headline of "my god £16M spent on gaelic signs! Thats taxpayer money that could be, ah, in the pockets of Michelle Mones friends instead" but its really not a lot of money in context.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Denmark culled its entire mink population back in 2020 as well. 

Another 'classic' of the pandemic here, although if you were told hamsters were being called because of covid then Hong Kong would be at the top of your 'guess the country' list. 

I still think the town in Spain that bleached their beach wins the prize for utter stupidity. 

Lovely white sand though