Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

No talk about COVID jail down to 5 days? 

She said England count the 1st day as "Day Zero", in Scotland it's "Day One". She followed that by saying in England you can come out of isolation from Day Six, in Scotland it's on Day Seven thereby claiming both approaches are the same.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

For all the tories are scum, they seem to have a fundamental policy that restrictions should be fully supported by data and should be last resort stuff. 

Im not entirely sure why this principle is exclusive to them, to be honest. 

I think you have confused “They seem to have astonishing amounts of money invested in companies who will be absolutely buggered if restrictions were maintained in the medium to long term and will use anything they can to justify normality” with “They are making evidence based decisions”. They are lucky in this case that both options there share the same solution now.

2 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

She said England count the 1st day as "Day Zero", in Scotland it's "Day One". She followed that by saying in England you can come out of isolation from Day Six, in Scotland it's on Day Seven thereby claiming both approaches are the same.

Ah, that makes a bit of sense. 

So in Scotland if you have to do a lateral flow take it late at night and you have effectively done 1 day already....

1 minute ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Ah, that makes a bit of sense. 

So in Scotland if you have to do a lateral flow take it late at night and you have effectively done 1 day already....

Thats the point though. It doesnt make any fucking sense. If England and Scotland have basically the same policy why in the name of suffering f**k do we have to have some tartan clad tinpot version just so as it looks to be different? Wouldn't the messaging be much clearer - and therefore take up less of the tetchy FM's time in having to explain it - if there was a consistent approach?

No, me neither...

She said that we need to relax the restrictions gradually to see their impact before announcing more. Is it just me or is that just total nonsense here?

The big announcement last Tuesday was large outdoor events with full crowds were allowed. Given that only took affect from yesterday so we've had one major football in front of a sizeable crowd since that announcement was made. There is no way you can look at last weeks easing today and say "it has had a negative/positive/not noticeable impact".

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Thats the point though. It doesnt make any fucking sense. If England and Scotland have basically the same policy why in the name of suffering f**k do we have to have some tartan clad tinpot version just so as it looks to be different? Wouldn't the messaging be much clearer - and therefore take up less of the tetchy FM's time in having to explain it - if there was a consistent approach?

No, me neither...

Because making you isolate until day 7 makes you care more than making you isolate until day 6.  Of course the flip side of that is letting you out on day 6 is giving you more freedom than letting you out on day 7.

38 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Shat it from extending vaccine passports. What a surprise. Basically back to where we were before Boxing Day. Just get rid of the fucking pointless theatre. Hopefully this will indeed be the case come the spring/three weeks after the Big Bad Toriez.

Another minter for @Detournement who assured us it was happening. Reading the Scottish Government's political games and the reality of the improving situation we are in is a piece of piss. Well, not if you're a crackpot conspiracy theorist.

I am delighted to be wrong. 

There is no doubt Sturgeon is choking to do it but we have Boris Johnson to thank for her being restrained. 

Edited by Detournement

Just now, NorthernLights said:

She said that we need to relax the restrictions gradually to see their impact before announcing more. Is it just me or is that just total nonsense here?

It is, of course, total nonsense. We are long since gone from the time when they could legitimately suggest they could control the flow of cases like turning a tap.

That ship sailed (for me, anyway) in October 2020 when localised restrictions / levels produced no positive results. The refusal to change tact is consistant with the "never acknowledge we got something wrong" approach.

I suspect this has been highlighted before. A fascinating listen.

It's a podcast featuring an interview with Carl Heneghan, a Professor of Evidence-Based Medicine in Oxford.

https://www.spiked-online.com/podcast-episode/why-i-spoke-out-against-lockdown/

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

14 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

No, me neither...

It's England who changed their system to match Scotland's, but are calling it day 5 rather than 7 to make it sound better when it's actually identical.

29 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I’m hearing case numbers have halved today to circa 3000. 

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The announced figure today was 7,752.

12 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I’m hearing you’re a moron. 

There are currently 2,947 and 2,990 cases per specimen date recorded against Saturday and Sunday respectively. I can only assume these are the figures you have (mis)interpreted as being the daily figure?

Just now, oaksoft said:

This is the sort of petty, needless difference which causes so much frustration.

She should just call it what England call it FFS. There's no good reason at all to number the days differently.

She just wants to pick fights at every opportunity.

This goes well beyond Covid and goes right back to 2007 with the SNP coming into power. Plastering Gaelic words across police cars, train stations and ambulances when fewer than 2% of Scots read or speak it. Renaming various agencies and bodies to be distinct and different from the Westminster counterparts. And it's why throughout this pandemic she has been consistently one degree different from England in every regard. Just to show that Scotland is different.

Health is a devolved issue - but would any difference have really been made had all 4 nations adopted the exact same strategy? All these tiny shades of difference have no material benefit to safety - except to undermine it by causing confusion - and are used by politicians. How much of 2020 was Sturgeon enjoying being "seen" to be better than Johnson at this? When at the same time the same mistakes were being made, such as discharging the elderly back into care homes to spread the virus?

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Remember, there are many folk out there who cannot budge from wanting fresh and perpetual lockdowns. 

Empty words indeed - what does 'Kit' want here, exactly? 

Schools shut indefinitely? (I would support this this where the circumstances merited it, which I don't think they do now, but Kit should be clearer here). 

Some sort of guarantee that his daughter will never, ever, ever, catch an endemic respiratory virus? 

Another one here who sees getting covid as some sort of moral failing. Dans la mer, Kit, dans la mer.