Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Reporting Scotland strangely upbeat tonight about data/restrictions being lifted/pressure on the NHS

Tbf NS said last week she'd announce they'd be lifted tomorrow. I still don't fully understand what she possibly thought was going to happen in the last 7 days that was going to prevent this happening (and therefore, by extension, have no idea why she decided to chuck an extra week of restrictions in).

The data could not be anymore positive - even the best media spin artists would struggle to make it look bad.

We are about to witness a couple of months of NS & the SG being forced, kicking and screaming, to acknowledge that Covid in 2022 is utterly shan, whilst trying their hardest to deflect from how utterly pointless their remaining protections are, until they finally cave and remove the lot, masks included.

Leitch will pop up from time to time to say something ridiculous, the BST will claim we were only able to remove all the protections because we remained cautious till the bitter end, and Devi will make a late appearance to plug her book a final time.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Tbf NS said last week she'd announce they'd be lifted tomorrow. I still don't fully understand what she possibly thought was going to happen in the last 7 days that was going to prevent this happening (and therefore, by extension, have no idea why she decided to chuck an extra week of restrictions in).

The data could not be anymore positive - even the best media spin artists would struggle to make it look bad.

We are about to witness a couple of months of NS & the SG being forced, kicking and screaming, to acknowledge that Covid in 2022 is utterly shan, whilst trying their hardest to deflect from how utterly pointless their remaining protections are, until they finally cave and remove the lot, masks included.

Leitch will pop up from time to time to say something ridiculous, the BST will claim we were only able to remove all the protections because we remained cautious till the bitter end, and Devi will make a late appearance to plug her book a final time.

What happened in the last 7 days is it allows her to say she's being cautious and following the science. 

In other words the same old bollocks to show it couldn't possibly have been that she was wrong. 

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

What happened in the last 7 days is it allows her to say she's being cautious and following the science. 

In other words the same old bollocks to show it couldn't possibly have been that she was wrong. 

Of course, this is correct.

42 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
46 minutes ago, alta-pete said:
Restrictions? Protections, shirley? 

Interesting distinction when they are being lifted as they clearly don't want to say they are removing "protection" as that has connotations of somehow putting folk at risk yet it's the opposite when they are being instated. Pretty disingenuous.

Very disingenuous and it it shows up her little marketing gag for the restrictions for what they were. Rebadge them as 'protections' when selling the public a load of shit, then conveniently forget about the emotional blackmail when removing them. 

It's quite rare that restrictions are removed on time or on/before the 'at least' date. That it's happened is as close to an admission as you'll get that that the policy was a bad one. 

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

It’s classed as a short term holiday let and you need to prove that you advertise it as such.

Lets shut this down as it’s boring for other posters but I would appreciate it if you would stop your false insinuations about the efficacy of my posts.

Veracity.

No points for guessing which country is into Michie, Greenhalgh, and Gurdasani's 'protections'.

Posted at 16:59

Why is China determined to continue its 'zero-Covid' policy?

It's less than three weeks until the start of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, and China shows no signs of abandoning its tough "zero Covid" policy.

Spectators in Beijing will be told they are allowed to clap but not cheer or chant to avoid spreading the virus.

The Games come as the authorities try to combat a series of outbreaks of the highly infectious Omicron variant.

Lynette Ong, Professor of Political Science at the University of Toronto, says the Chinese government is determined to continue the policy as the issue is seen as one of social stability as well as public health and that there are fears of outbreaks in the rural population.

She says scientists have also found that the Chinese vaccines are not as effective as those vaccines developed elsewhere - but Chinese authorities are not prepared to admit that and import the more effective vaccines.

Video content

Video caption: Despite the draconian measures, the policy may continue till 2022's National Congress

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

It would appear that WM are planning on going ahead with this as originally leaked prior to Omicron.

This is great news as it quite literally pulls the rug from under NS's feet and forces her to start thinking about manouvering out of the corner she has painted herself into.

As an aside, Helen Lovejoy just popped up as a pointless answer on Pointless. Clearly no P&Bers were involved in the survey process for that!

No real surprise to see the top reply is an absolute roaster of an SNP fanatic.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

It would appear that WM are planning on going ahead with this as originally leaked prior to Omicron.

This is great news as it quite literally pulls the rug from under NS's feet and forces her to start thinking about manouvering out of the corner she has painted herself into.

As an aside, Helen Lovejoy just popped up as a pointless answer on Pointless. Clearly no P&Bers were involved in the survey process for that!

How long have I got left to pull a good sickie from work? 

25 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
51 minutes ago, Elixir said:
Lads, I don't know about you, but I have a feeling that this spring and summer are going to be fucking GLORIOUS.

^^^ Surprisingly upbeat for someone who's going to have to find a new hobby..

Thank f**k.

4 hours ago, strichener said:

PHS collate data from the health boards, as your own quote shows it is responsible for publishing the data.  Public Health Scotland (PHS) is the principal and authoritative source of statistics on health and 
care services in Scotland.  Admissions data is sourced from the RAPID dataset.  (Dataset summary).  Who collects the RAPID data?  Oh, that's right it is the NHS health boards.  So yes it is the same people.

Deary me, quit while you're behind man 😆 The workforce numbers on the other hand are provided from 21 Boards' SSTS system (HR records) plus SAS from their system and collated by NSS. There are only 14 territorial Health Boards. Do you think NHS 24 or NHS Education's HR departments are sending in data on people in hospital with Covid?

Health Boards, like I'd imagine all employers, recorded why their staff missed work long before Covid. The fact that it's now sent into NSS and partially published says nothing about extra people being employed, the comparatively poor quality of hospital data (which I actually agree with) or any of the other moany pish you've taken it to mean.

If you want to keep digging on this point to save face, I'll leave you to it from here - we have to be boring everyone with this.

Now, on your second point.  Can you think of a reason why isolation is now making up a smaller proportion of absences, maybe some changes to isolation requirement per chance?  I can't think what would have happened between the 20th December and 10th January that would have led to an increase in Covid cases either.  Of course this completely misses the point that the collection of the data is pointless.

This is all started because I answered a question with the data for the weekly absences for 12 Jan and you insisted most of those absences are because of self isolation. That full week incorporated the new, reduced isolation rules (Wales brought the same in a few weeks before). So the latest Welsh data you posted, showing the exact opposite of what you were saying about 'the population', are for staff with the same conditions as in Scotland. 

And aye, the reduced isolation rules and increasing population case rate is exactly why I dismissed your obviously stupid point about 7,000 NHS staff mostly being in self isolation from the start. Back before you were offering spicy hot takes directly about those and not pretending you meant five weeks ago. 

Incidentally, the Welsh workforce stuff shows a change in the ratio of absences based on isolation, almost directly in line with their change in restriction. That is exactly why governments and public bodies should collect data, and arguably publish it during a high profile issue that we're all getting fucked by. To transparently measure the success or limitations of public policy.

The lack of understanding (or suppressing, depending on your view) of hospital admissions data doesn't live up to that at all. The only reason to think the two things are related - or shouldn't be bothered with - is an assumption that it's one wee group of people who have to choose which information to bother collecting. Which is obviously mental. 

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Regardless of the reasons for it, the tide is definitely turning and unless a new highly damaging variant arrives, it looks like a permanent turning point.

You can tell that the pro-lockdown freaks also sense the game is running away from them because the shrieking is reaching fever pitch all across social media. That's not just the likes of Deepti Gurdasani (who genuinely appears to be on the verge of a complete breakdown) but ordinary people too who are realising that after 2 years of us bending over backwards to help them, they are on the verge of having to learn how to "adult" for themselves again.

You know what really grates? It's not the lack of a thank you from the vulnerable for the 2 years of sacrifices we've pretty much all made to keep them safe, through continual vaccinations and restrictions. I don't need their thanks. What really grates is having gone through all of that for them, they turn round and call us selfish c***s for wanting our lives back. That's the bit which will stick in my mind. And when I'm old and grey, I'll be happy to pass on the lesson to future generations that the more you try to help some people, the more ungrateful they become. Once you cross that line into making people dependent it's a long road back for them.

Won't lie. I feel better for that wee mini-rant. 😆

It's time we sorted these, so called, vulnerable b*****ds out.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Me too.

I genuinely can't wait to wake up and not be dreading what utter insanity in the news headlines is going to annoy me today. 😆

All this unwarranted intrusion in my day to day life that I can't do a damn thing about is just intolerable.

I'm beginning to understand why some people just sell everything and go and live in a cave. 😆

Absolutely - clean forgot it was Sturgeon’s update tomorrow. Remember as recently as this time last week there were purposely mixed messages and veiled threats being thrown out about fitba crowds, and Clownshoes was completely contradicting himself several times a day.

Very amused at the ongoing prospect of a cascade of “telts” and “get it right up yes” to a number of well deserving nitwits.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
1 hour ago, Elixir said:
Lads, I don't know about you, but I have a feeling that this spring and summer are going to be fucking GLORIOUS.

^^^ Surprisingly upbeat for someone who's going to have to find a new hobby..

Hobby?  This is a full time job for Elixir....double shifts.

I feel sorry for the likes of Warnock, Mourinho, Montgomery etc......I am sure they must be on commission every time he cuts and pastes one of those "absolutely hilarious" images

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Me too.

I genuinely can't wait to wake up and not be dreading what utter insanity in the news headlines is going to annoy me today. 😆

All this unwarranted intrusion in my day to day life that I can't do a damn thing about is just intolerable.

I'm beginning to understand why some people just sell everything and go and live in a cave. 😆

What intrusion has happened to your day to day life apart from being asked to wear a mask and wash your hands occasionally, which you refuse to do? As I understand it you're not a regular clubber or visitor to football stadiums, or even pubs. I'm struggling to understand how covid has affected your life at all.

Edited by welshbairn