Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Here’s a link. Aubameyang tested positive within the last few weeks and has myocarditis, a common side effect of having a covid infection.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/gabon/story/4563287/covid-19-pierre-emerick-aubameyang-tests-positive-after-night-of-partying-on-eve-of-afcon

Which we’ve known about long before vaccines were getting punted about, of course that won’t fit with the antivax moon howling agenda https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

Myocarditis is a dangerous condition that many people don't fully recover from. It's not a common side of Covid at all. 

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, you're not reading it right.

I'd say the state doesn't just have a right to intrude into our lives.  It has a duty to.

I can think that while preserving a right to think for myself.  Look, I'm doing it now.

How far do you think it has a duty to intrude? Where does the line get drawn?

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, you're not reading it right.

I'd say the state doesn't just have a right to intrude into our lives.  It has a duty to.

I can think that while preserving a right to think for myself.  Look, I'm doing it now.

DCD20D26-978E-4992-92D1-A9B11BB159DA.gif

9 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Dons_1988 is one of the most measured posters on this thread.

Although your postings are generally decent MT, you have been a little 'unhinged' in some of your recent contributions.

Maybe a little self-awareness on your part might help??

The above is meant in the spirit of being constructive and conciliatory.

Taken in its intended spirit.

Tbh, I don't think I really lack self-awareness on this (although I suppose I would say that).  I am aware enough to recognise, for instance, that I'm being a bit of a patronising dick.

I don't think there's anything unhinged in what I'm saying though. 

I think that there's a consensus on here that says recent Scottish restrictions aren't justified.  That, however, sees any posts in broad agreement, wildly supported, even if they contain poorly concealed subtexts, that are actually quite 'out there'. 

It seems that people hate it if the subtext gets highlighted.

Not as such but as there appears to be 100% adherence I have succumbed with regards to going into restaurants but NOT around the pool.
Don't want to ruin our holiday with anymore stress than necessary but happy to continue the fight on return to Scotland.
I know people come here in January/February and they are currently on tier 4 .
Just be aware.
Although the rules are indeed a little otp.
I think in general the holiday experience can have some improvements. I certainly found that in Tenerife recently.
Table service vastly improved, bad manners in buffet restaurants seems to be a thing of the past. Kids under control in restaurants. Decent booking systems.
Mind until I see how the Russians react when I visit Turkey next. Not sure they know what etiquette and manners are.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Arrived inTenerife yesterday to find that their restrictions are even worse than Scotland.

Even to enter the hotel restaurants, proof of vaccination is required.

Moving about the grounds and pool area, masks are required. The only exception seems to be sunbathing.

Determined to keep calm and enjoy things but a bit of a downer.

Was going to the pool and was shouted at by another guest (Western European) - MASK!!

Ignored him and pointed to the pool which seemed to calm him down.

Just shows how this has got to some people. Terribly sad and gives total credence to Oaksoft’s views.

Anyway, noticed that this guy and his wife are both heavy smokers. You couldn’t make it up!

Rent a villa with a pool next time, usually doesn't cost any more than a hotel if there's a few of you.

12 minutes ago, the snudge said:

How far do you think it has a duty to intrude? Where does the line get drawn?

Well clearly, that's the question.

We'd probably all draw it in different places.

I'd contend, however, that a decent chap like Dons1988 would draw his line much closer to mine than Oaksoft's. 

This thread would suggest otherwise.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Really?

Not a fan of roads, hospitals or schools then?

Fair enough.

You quote examples of provisions of the state.

Examples of intrusions of the state involve limitation on who you can and cannot see, limiting your contact with your own family, determining how far you can travel from home, whether you can have full access to society if you are equivocal about a state sponsored vaccine programme…

Edited by alta-pete

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

You are quote examples of provisions of the state.

Examples of intrusions of the state involve limitation on who you can and cannot see, limiting your contact with your own family, determining how far you can travel from home, whether you can have full access to society if you are equivocal about a state sponsored vaccine programme…

Ok, but you said "I'm out" when I said the state had a duty to intrude in our lives.

Did you not actually mean it then?

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've just said It's not.  

Ok so you do recognise that this isn’t a simple question and actually the answer to how much state intervention people want will differ across different areas of society. 

For example, I might fall closer to your end of the spectrum on something like free market trading. I’m not wedded to one side of the argument. 

Your assertion that by agreeing with oaksoft (I have no idea what his views are outside of covid) I was somehow giving my blessing to a complete withdrawal of state intervention was a complete nonsense and a weird hill you’ve chosen to die on. 

ETA - this has now derailed the thread so time we called it a day. 

Edited by Dons_1988

13 minutes ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

It's a king of streets. Old boy and old dear used to frequent it alot in the 70s, was always a pretty hip, cool, street apparently. 

Just had a great conversation with the other half about the stuff we bought on that street. Everything from t shirts & records to an African bowl & candles for our 1st flat. And, of course, the baked potato shop!

Aside from the obvious factor of age, Life was just better between the mid1990s & 2000s. 

Less state interference in our lives as well...

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ok so you do recognise that this isn’t a simple question and actually the answer to how much state intervention people want will differ across different areas of society. 

For example, I might fall closer to your end of the spectrum on something like free market trading. I’m not wedded to one side of the argument. 

Your assertion that by agreeing with oaksoft (I have no idea what his views are outside of covid) I was somehow giving my blessing to a complete withdrawal of state intervention was a complete nonsense and a weird hill you’ve chosen to die on. 

You’re giving @Monkey Tennis an easy exit. Interventions are not the same as intrusions.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Derailing this thread is not the worst thing.

I think that there's too ready a willingness on here to support posts that come from what I'd see as a dangerous and destructive place.