Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/14/expect-another-covid-omicron-wave-in-early-summer-sage-says

The size and timing of the next peak “cannot be predicted with any certainty”, according to the team at the University of Warwick.

But that hasn't stopped our shan public health model from picking nonsense numbers out of a tombola before, so why quit now!

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/14/expect-another-covid-omicron-wave-in-early-summer-sage-says

But that hasn't stopped our shan public health model from picking nonsense numbers out of a tombola before, so why quit now!

I hope there is. It will be even more laughable and shan than this one was. warnock.png

Would give the Scottish Government an excuse to carry on tinkering when there's four hospital admissions and two deaths per week, though. Ljsl9nQ.png

Edited by Elixir

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

I'm so jealous.

Long to reign over us now as far as I'm concerned. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🇬🇧

Ooft. Surprised you haven’t been Helen’d out of town for this bold assertion!!

But it does perfectly illustrate the chasm between those who are prepared to take the lead and be bold in contrast to those that want to hide behind the sofa and wait until someone else (who they don’t particularly like) comes along and sorts it out for them. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Noubissie said:

SG publish the NHS Covid absence figures. Daily average of 7k (4%) last week. That's just for Covid-related reasons though. I'm not sure where folk are seeing 1/3 off but that's definitely not official data.

I would rather they spent the administrative effort on providing with/for covid figures than tell us how many people are off work tbh.  No doubt they will be able to break this data down by vaccinated/unvaccinated male/female, healthboard, location, shift and 1000 other ways.  

Guy involved in car crash ends up in ICU and test positive with covid - No way to tell with/for.  Unless the guy crashed his car due to a coughing fit brought on by Covid then it's pretty bloody obvious.

49 minutes ago, strichener said:

I would rather they spent the administrative effort on providing with/for covid figures than tell us how many people are off work tbh.  No doubt they will be able to break this data down by vaccinated/unvaccinated male/female, healthboard, location, shift and 1000 other ways.  

Guy involved in car crash ends up in ICU and test positive with covid - No way to tell with/for.  Unless the guy crashed his car due to a coughing fit brought on by Covid then it's pretty bloody obvious.

I think you might be viewing government/NHS data a bit too much through this thread's prism of absolutely everything being about justifying or criticising restrictions. The absence data has been there from the start, long before Scottish and English divergence on restrictions or indeed the vaccine itself.

You could be right that more detailed patient data should be released but it's a separate issue - of course governments will want to know how many staff are off for the day to running of the service. I was only posting it because a few other posters were speculating about something that's already in the public domain.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Did they not come out about this time last year and predict an outrageous number of cases, hospitalisations and deaths during the summer, only for it to do absolutely nothing and restrictions pretty much all get binned instead?

Like the SG, SAGE are a bunch of shameless charlatans who point blank refuse to accept they have far less understanding of Covid (and viruses in general) than they wish to believe.