Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Happened to me as a younger man. Phoned my boss to tell him I was sick and he basically told me to get myself in there or not bother coming back. 

Being young (18 or so) and stupid I did as I was told. Had I been older and more mature I would have told him to shove it and that he was acting against all kinds of employment law.

Somerfield, the employer of champions. 

So you would take time off whenever you have a cold?

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

So you would take time off whenever you have a cold?

No, not at all. 

I had a really bad cold - not a flu - and given my job was to work on the checkouts handling food and dealing with the public, I thought it best not to come in. 

It was a real stinker of a cold that made me miserable, but I went in and did my 3 and three quarter hour shift (so they didn't have to pay for a break), sitting at the till blowing my nose, sneezing and serving folk. 

8 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

My wife has just recovered from a seriously bad respiratory infection (old fashioned flu).

After eliminating Covid her GP prescribed antibiotics and proceeded to tell her that she has never seen so many similar cases for years. Non Covid flu is making a return big time!

Your GP prescribed antibiotics after diagnosing the flu and reported unprecedented cases compared in recent years? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59988292
50,000 NHS workers off work due to Covid.  
How many people work in the NHS in Scotland?  Google suggests that 160,000 is the answer, nearly 1 in 3 off sick at the moment.
Surely the extrapolation of 50k from 7k a day is nonsense as a lot of those folk will be counted sick on multiple days (most likely 7 min if covid)

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Thinking about this argument of Leitch a wee bit more.

He says "It doesn't matter why people are in hospital. If they have covid the impact is the same anyway".

That's the same logic as saying "it doesn't matter why people die. The end result is the same anyway".

And yet we spend vast sums of money on trying to prevent death BECAUSE we make the distinction, believing it to be vitally important.

If we're introducing restrictions into people's lives it is vitally important that we know the exact nature and scale of the problem those restrictions are trying to help resolve. Or at least fucking TRY and get that information.

Oh and Jason, if you could stop the patronising "you don't understand how healthcare works" shite that would be just great. We understand enough to detect your particular brand of bullshit thanks.

To me the key thing about this arguement is whether or not it is the virus or a poorly funded/managed NHS that has businesses still closed or working under restricted conditions and the rest of facing increased use of vaccine passports to go about our day to day business? 

My wife has just recovered from a seriously bad respiratory infection (old fashioned flu).
After eliminating Covid her GP prescribed antibiotics and proceeded to tell her that she has never seen so many similar cases for years. Non Covid flu is making a return big time!
Some doc you have prescribing antibiotics for the flu !!!

ETA I see I was beaten to the punch just highlights how unlikely this actually happened.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
21 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Some doc you have prescribing antibiotics for the flu !!!

Yeh, was just thinking that? Antibiotics are for bacterial infections not viral illness surely?

The NHS is in absolute need of complete reform. They need to strip away layers of management and shite, invest massively in service provision and infrastructure and become a lot less wasteful. Vaccines being poured down the drain by clinicians because of management decisions last year is a very key indicator of this. 

Its almost like DPB has a track record of spouting utter shite.
"My wife and I nipped to Mars today for lunch....then in the afternoon I played The Old Course and shot a 59 including 2 holes in one while Mrs DPB collected her honorary doctorate at the Uni....."

His posts read like something straight out of N Korean state TV news.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

"My wife and I nipped to Mars today for lunch....then in the afternoon I played The Old Course and shot a 59 including 2 holes in one while Mrs DPB collected her honorary doctorate at the Uni....."

It was a 61, he had two 2 putts.

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59988292

50,000 NHS workers off work due to Covid.  

How many people work in the NHS in Scotland?  Google suggests that 160,000 is the answer, nearly 1 in 3 off sick at the moment.

I spent the first few days of this week in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and while definitely stretched, the staff were suggesting that absence was more than normal but nothing like that figure.

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You were the one who didn’t even know that CT referred to Corporation Tax?

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Happened to me as a younger man. Phoned my boss to tell him I was sick and he basically told me to get myself in there or not bother coming back. 

Being young (18 or so) and stupid I did as I was told. Had I been older and more mature I would have told him to shove it and that he was acting against all kinds of employment law.

Somerfield, the employer of champions. 

I had this joy when i was about 21. Woke up on Monday morning an absolute wreck with some viral infection - phoned work. The boss (who was sound) was off but his assistant, a ginger c**t with a serious dose of wee man complex was in and told me to get my arse into the office or else. It was near the end of the financial year and my fun job was processing a shit-ton of invoices from various cafes.

He obviously assumed I'd been out in DeStihl's as usual on Saturday and properly kicked the arse out of it. I dragged myself in and managed a half day before he realised I was actually properly ill and sent me home again. Amusingly this was plenty enough time for him to catch it as well, and probably a few folk on the two buses I had to get from and to my house in Lochee. The c**t. 

He did actually end up sacking me a few months later 😂

It’s usually not as brazen as asking you to come in when you’re Ill. 

All it takes is one of your colleagues to be off and the boss to make a snidey comment about it and you’ve created a culture that you better be bed ridden to take a day off. 

My son once worked on a zero hours contract at a restaurant and phoned in sick for a shift.
They said no problem but immediately stopped offering him shifts after that which was the equivalent of sacking him without actually sacking him.
I'm absolutely certain that this story will be played out everywhere in the country.
A lot of employers are fucking scumbags.

Some years ago the scaffolding contractor at work took on alot of temps for a big job that was around 12 weeks long
Anyone of the temps that took a single sick day didnt get kept
The gaffer said that he was “ fed up coming in the Monday after an old firm game and nae c**t was at their work “