Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

If Boris is still prime minister by the end of January. I’ll be surprised. 

Thing is, I have absolutely no problems with all those parties but why did they let themselves get bullied about by all those SAGE types into bringing out totally over the top draconian rules and regs. Boris’s instincts were right but if you legislate then everyone has to abide by the rules. 
Personally, as I’ve said many times, my self and my family just ignored them.

I am choked with the cold today. 

Not planning to take a test - you might think that makes me reckless. But as a counter to that I'll say that I am already not going to the gym today, nor visiting my parents tomorrow. You know, like any normal person would do in the pre-Covid days. I just don't feel up to the gym, and I don't want to pass this cold on to my parents; my dad especially is in poor health. 

This is the thing - before Covid came along people would modify their behaviour. Very few employers would have insisted in the past that workers come in whilst they have the cold or flu (though I did work for one such man once). People do less because they feel a bit grotty. 

The difference now is testing and regulations telling people specifically how to react to catching a very mild virus. I am acting like an adult and making my own decisions; I don't need the government to tell me how to react to a cold. I've been doing this for over 40 years. 

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So reading his direct quotes on the STV site, he says that when people enter hospital they almost always turn up with a series of problems and working out which one is causing the hospitalisation can be impossible. He says only a small number will be able to be certain about what's hospitalised them. So someone is hospitalised who has cancer, diabetes and covid and you then have to decide which condition put them there.

He wraps that response in a thinly veiled "You don't understand how healthcare works" barb but that's the essence of his argument.

I'm not wholly convinced by this at all TBH but I am willing to hear out that side of the argument.

In the same article, Swinney is quoted as not understanding why people have a problem with vacine passports and he can't get his head around why people would not realise it's a reasonable request for him to make.

It's not the only thing Swinney doesn't understand then.

He also doesn't understand the difference between a request and a legal demand.

He also doesn't understand that there's a cost to introducing this.

He also doesn't understand that there are staffing issues because of this.

He also doesn't understand that there are training issues related to the new technology.

He also doesn't understand that you can't expect a company to introduce something like this overnight.

He also doesn't understand that vaccine passports don't work.

He also doesn't understand that asking people to show their papers to take part in society is a serious intrusion into our lives.

I wouldn't let Swinney have responsibility for my remote control and yet here he is with real world responsibility.  The man only seems to understand things when they directly affect him. A long line of that type of person has outed themselves in the last 2 years.

It's breathtaking really.

You have to remember that by his own admission Swinney pretty much sits in the house when he's not at work.  They have no impact on him at all.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So reading his direct quotes on the STV site, he says that when people enter hospital they alsmot always turn up with a series of problems and working out which one is causing the hospitalisation can be impossible. He says only a small number will be able to be certain about what's hospitalised them. So someone is hospitalised who has cancer, diabetes and covid and you then have to decide which condition put them there.

55956821.jpg

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So reading his direct quotes on the STV site, he says that when people enter hospital they almost always turn up with a series of problems and working out which one is causing the hospitalisation can be impossible. He says only a small number will be able to be certain about what's hospitalised them. So someone is hospitalised who has cancer, diabetes and covid and you then have to decide which condition put them there.

He wraps that response in a thinly veiled "You don't understand how healthcare works" barb but that's the essence of his argument.

I'm not wholly convinced by this at all TBH but I am willing to hear out that side of the argument.

In the same article, Swinney is quoted as not understanding why people have a problem with vacine passports and he can't get his head around why people would not realise it's a reasonable request for him to make.

It's not the only thing Swinney doesn't understand then.

He also doesn't understand the difference between a request and a legal demand.

He also doesn't understand that there's a cost to introducing this.

He also doesn't understand that there are staffing issues because of this.

He also doesn't understand that there are training issues related to the new technology.

He also doesn't understand that you can't expect a company to introduce something like this overnight.

He also doesn't understand that vaccine passports don't work.

He also doesn't understand that asking people to show their papers to take part in society is a serious intrusion into our lives.

I wouldn't let Swinney have responsibility for my remote control and yet here he is with real world responsibility.  The man only seems to understand things when they directly affect him. A long line of that type of person has outed themselves in the last 2 years.

It's breathtaking really.

Whilst I agree with all of that I don’t think swinney is making any decisions here tbh. 

There may be some unwritten code of conduct for opposition MSP's and journalists to adhere to but the bulk of posters on here could do a vastly superior job when it comes to asking the difficult question of the SG and their advisors. 

31 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I am choked with the cold today. 

Not planning to take a test - you might think that makes me reckless. But as a counter to that I'll say that I am already not going to the gym today, nor visiting my parents tomorrow. You know, like any normal person would do in the pre-Covid days. I just don't feel up to the gym, and I don't want to pass this cold on to my parents; my dad especially is in poor health. 

This is the thing - before Covid came along people would modify their behaviour. Very few employers would have insisted in the past that workers come in whilst they have the cold or flu (though I did work for one such man once). People do less because they feel a bit grotty. 

The difference now is testing and regulations telling people specifically how to react to catching a very mild virus. I am acting like an adult and making my own decisions; I don't need the government to tell me how to react to a cold. I've been doing this for over 40 years. 

Didn't you say both your wife and daughter were a bit iffy the last couple of days though?  You've probably caught whatever they had.

31 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Thing is, I have absolutely no problems with all those parties but why did they let themselves get bullied about by all those SAGE types into bringing out totally over the top draconian rules and regs. Boris’s instincts were right but if you legislate then everyone has to abide by the rules. 
Personally, as I’ve said many times, my self and my family just ignored them.

Again it highlights how small they knew the risk to them individually was. Even then.

14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Didn't you say both your wife and daughter were a bit iffy the last couple of days though?  You've probably caught whatever they had.

Yes indeed, this has passed around us all. 

My wife had an appointment on Wednesday and needed to take a test before being allowed to go to that, so she took the test and it was negative. Makes me think it more likely to be a cold than anything else. 

52 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Very few employers would have insisted in the past that workers come in whilst they have the cold or flu

Wait what?

6 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Wait what?

Happened to me as a younger man. Phoned my boss to tell him I was sick and he basically told me to get myself in there or not bother coming back. 

Being young (18 or so) and stupid I did as I was told. Had I been older and more mature I would have told him to shove it and that he was acting against all kinds of employment law.

Somerfield, the employer of champions. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Happened to me as a younger man. Phoned my boss to tell him I was sick and he basically told me to get myself in there or not bother coming back. 

Being young (18 or so) and stupid I did as I was told. Had I been older and more mature I would have told him to shove it and that he was acting against all kinds of employment law.

I think you are being a bit naive if you thought that most employers wouldn’t have expected you to come in whilst you had a cold in pre-Covid times.

Folk go in to EVERY workplace with the cold. Even the ones with full sick pay.

I know this because like everyone else in the country, I dont have an sickness record the length of my arm and my work pre covid has never been decimated with winter absence.

This is what would happen if everyone went off with the cold.

The flu isnt worth mentioning because if you have flu, you are yearning for a time where you can actually move from your bed. Not contemplating a shift of work.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

What did your wife tell you to do?

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Yes indeed, this has passed around us all. 

My wife had an appointment on Wednesday and needed to take a test before being allowed to go to that, so she took the test and it was negative. Makes me think it more likely to be a cold than anything else. 

My wife has just recovered from a seriously bad respiratory infection (old fashioned flu).

After eliminating Covid her GP prescribed antibiotics and proceeded to tell her that she has never seen so many similar cases for years. Non Covid flu is making a return big time!