Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Do the SNP not consistently poll higher than they actually get? You always see projections of them winning a majority or taking all the seats in Westminster or whatever and they never quite get there.

It's more to do with applying universal swings nationally without taking account of local factors.

The National polling figures tend to be about right, its translation into seats that tends to be overestimated (although were underestimated in 2019).

The polls for 2021 were 50/50 on a majority. 

50 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Going with travelling tabby they said the figure only includes PCR tests and they hope tomorrow to get some LFT results. 

LFTs are now clear to see.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/phs.covid.19/viz/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

https://blogs.gov.scot/statistics/2022/01/13/changes-to-covid-19-case-reporting/

Some wee wifie just told to put my mask on in Stornaway Airport whilst I was sitting in the empty waiting area. Immediately after a recorded tannoy announcement booms over reminding everyone to wear their masks, wouldn’t surprise me if the wee fanny hit a button to do that. Metres away from me there’s a bloke reading a book, no mask on - but he’s okay because he’s in the cafe area, even though his beverage is finished. Farce.

ETA - glad I have snacks with me for the plane so if they try their nonsense I’ll be doing this:

1st home league home of the season v Hearts, I was one of the 1059 in attendance. A steward comes up to my seat and asks me to wear a mask. I refuse on the grounds that I'm outside with about 6 empty seats s either side of me and the rows immediately behind and in front of me are empty.

He goes and gets the Supervisor who at least asked me if I was exempt. I said no and he asked me to wear a mask. I repeated that I was outside etc but he said if I didn't maskup I'd be ejected.

So I reluctantly put my mask on (it's the first league game with fans for 17 months). Shortly afterwards I went into my other pocket and discovered I had some chewing gum so I stood up to attract the stewards attention, took off my mask and, while he watched, slowly took out a piece of gum and started chewing.

He knew exactly what I was doing and he appeared to be raging. I sat there, chewing, with a smug feeling of satisfaction.

Certainly seem to have stirred up the Greek Chorus which dominates this thread, in truth I'm probably not so far off some of your views and have stated previously that Covid is now endemic and we have to change the way we deal with it. In particular I've also stated that the Scottish Government restriction have been too severe recently.

That doesn't mean to say it's over, as the government figures demonstrate and I'm confident that the replies which I haven't read (subsequent to [mention=56587]Elixir[/mention]'s first) have been crass in the extreme. Special mention to [mention=8416]oaksoft[/mention] who was the biggest doom-monger on BAWA back at the start but who has re-invented himself as the reincarnation of Che Guevara on P&B - there are none so fervent in their views as a convert. 

So you've went for the "I'm right, you're wrong so there is no point reading any replies" approach, Sturgeon is that you?

1st home league home of the season v Hearts, I was one of the 1059 in attendance. A steward comes up to my seat and asks me to wear a mask. I refuse on the grounds that I'm outside with about 6 empty seats s either side of me and the rows immediately behind and in front of me are empty.
He goes and gets the Supervisor who at least asked me if I was exempt. I said no and he asked me to wear a mask. I repeated that I was outside etc but he said if I didn't maskup I'd be ejected.
So I reluctantly put my mask on (it's the first league game with fans for 17 months). Shortly afterwards I went into my other pocket and discovered I had some chewing gum so I stood up to attract the stewards attention, took off my mask and, while he watched, slowly took out a piece of gum and started chewing.
He knew exactly what I was doing and he appeared to be raging. I sat there, chewing, with a smug feeling of satisfaction.

And then everyone (over 6 empty seats away, obviously) got off their seats and applauded?

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

England depends on Boris surviving until the summer.

A new PM might well move England onto the WEF schedule. 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Gove apparently wanted a full lockdown this winter. He has been parroting the same shit as Blair during the full pandemic and is completely owned by Rupert Murdoch.

Sunak is a billionaire and is another one who would fall in with France, Germany, Australia etc. So would Javid who is a multi millionaire banker.

There are also a few dark horse MPs who might be candidates for a Macron/Obama style rise to prominence. I've got my eye on Tom Tugendhat.

It's hard to see a candidate who would have taken the course Johnson has this winter other than Truss and she is too crazy to be considered.

Gove just last week was reported to have changed his mind and admitted he was wrong regarding restrictions. As for Javid:

What an absolute slaver you are. 😭

6 hours ago, GiGi said:

It will make no difference. By the time we get near an election Johnson will be long gone and England will breathe a sigh of relief and vote Tory again.

Agreed. Mr Furlough/VAT Moneybags Sunak will be in soon and there will be a respectable enough figure in place for the media/public to go back to not caring about cronyism and corruption.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Regarding the SNP losing votes, the last Scottish poll I could find was from Boxing Day.

The average polls for the Scottish Parliament showed the SNP vote up overall compared to the election.

I do think that if it looks like Labour has a consistent lead in UK wide polling that will boost them in Scotland.  I think that happened in 2017 when people switched to Labour because they were on an upturn.

Also agreed. If Labour seem like a credible option for the anti-Tory contrarian vote, it's bound to hurt the SNP. 

Incidentally, I can't remember the last time I heard a woman up here talk about politics who doesn't absolutely love Sturgeon (not my first choice of conversation topic with the galdem but we move). It seems the gender divide seen under Salmond's leadership has done a full 180 since. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif.f9bd9b01f97124b6a79b6b13f5da92ed.gif

1 hour ago, Patrick Noubissie said:

Agreed. Mr Furlough/VAT Moneybags Sunak will be in soon and there will be a respectable enough figure in place for the media/public to go back to not caring about cronyism and corruption.

Also agreed. If Labour seem like a credible option for the anti-Tory contrarian vote, it's bound to hurt the SNP

Incidentally, I can't remember the last time I heard a woman up here talk about politics who doesn't absolutely love Sturgeon (not my first choice of conversation topic with the galdem but we move). It seems the gender divide seen under Salmond's leadership has done a full 180 since. 

If Labour rose as a genuinely competent opposition to the Tories, I'd vote for them in a GE in a heartbeat regardless of if they are still hopeless in a Scottish Parliament setting.