Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

If I was as bad at my job as Sturgeon and her advisors, I'd be sacked, how can they keep making predictions based on absolute guesswork then just brass neck it when the complete opposite of their prediction becomes reality.

Come the next election if they keep going the way they are. They could lose the election and kill off any independence chance. 

2 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Come the next election if they keep going the way they are. They could lose the election and kill off any independence chance. 

They won't lose the election, but i'm not convinced they will be able to pull together an overall pro-indy majority.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

The false narrative that a vote for Indy is a vote for the SNP to rule Scotland will be ramped up all the more next time and will cost more votes.

Nothing false about it.  The SNP rule - and are laying waste to - Scotland.  One of the lies you need to tell yourself to be a Nat is that they will magically disappear on the day when Unicorns and Rainbows comes about.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

If I was as bad at my job as Sturgeon and her advisors, I'd be sacked, how can they keep making predictions based on absolute guesswork then just brass neck it when the complete opposite of their prediction becomes reality.

Go back two years.  I’d imagine she’d have had a very high approval rate, even at the end of the first full proper lock down.   In reality, she’s had an absolute nightmare of the last six months.  Her state-knows-best leanings occasionally crept out, but folk bought into it (minimum alcohol pricing, sugar tax, etc, were largely supported on here).  She’s essentially banking on SNP voters to buy into the cult and ignore the last period of time.   It’s the folk who regard the SNP as a vehicle to bring about social justice who will leave the party in droves.  The folk who see independence as the be all and end all may continue to give her the benefit of the doubt.  It’s a gamble, but it’s politics.  

With all this talk about Johnson walking I was wondering when wee Nicola was planning on leaving? If it wasn’t bad enough her being found to mislead parliament; she has mislead Scottish people into believing she’s following the “science” rather than admit she’s just politicised the whole pandemic. Unfortunately for Nicola she’s losing her political football match with Bojo 10-0 at this stage. Surely that’s sackable? 

1 minute ago, MS RR said:

With all this talk about Johnson walking I was wondering when wee Nicola was planning on leaving? If it wasn’t bad enough her being found to mislead parliament; she has mislead Scottish people into believing she’s following the “science” rather than admit she’s just politicised the whole pandemic. Unfortunately for Nicola she’s losing her political football match with Bojo 10-0 at this stage. Surely that’s sackable? 

550F97B7-C7FF-4D3F-B78A-7046E72B30A9.jpeg

That ONS link there will be the justification given for the last few weeks. Rightly or wrongly, the fact that Scotland, Wales and NI exactly match each other and England is on it's own with a worse rate will be the argument that restrictions have worked. With any luck as a get out excuse to roll them back, rather than to say they work and need to stay.

44 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

24 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Go back two years.  I’d imagine she’d have had a very high approval rate, even at the end of the first full proper lock down.   In reality, she’s had an absolute nightmare of the last six months.  Her state-knows-best leanings occasionally crept out, but folk bought into it (minimum alcohol pricing, sugar tax, etc, were largely supported on here).  She’s essentially banking on SNP voters to buy into the cult and ignore the last period of time.   It’s the folk who regard the SNP as a vehicle to bring about social justice who will leave the party in droves.  The folk who see independence as the be all and end all may continue to give her the benefit of the doubt.  It’s a gamble, but it’s politics.  

I agree they've had a mare of the last six months. I'm not so sure it's having the impact people on here think/hope though. I mean it might well be but I haven't seen any real evidence of them losing votes yet. Football forums aren't exactly a representative sample of the population.

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Because whatever it is that she’s selling, her people are buying. 

For me with Sturgeon it's the condescending, arrogant attitude she gives everytime shes questioned she genuinely gives of a "how dare you question me" attitude everytime someone asks her any question that isn't entirely to her approval. I'm not sure if it's a new thing or if it's just become way more evident during the pandemic, the eye rolling and the looks she gives some of the journalist is childish and pathetic.

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Aw sick have all the rich countries finally helped out the poorer ones with vaccines? 

The WHO may wish it so, but a pandemic does not require vaccination of every part of the world to end. Natural infection will finish the job in areas without it, whether that's right or wrong. Is there even still supply issues, or is it a simple (inconvenient) fact that most people in Africa have much bigger concerns than covid?

47 minutes ago, Patrick Noubissie said:

That ONS link there will be the justification given for the last few weeks. Rightly or wrongly, the fact that Scotland, Wales and NI exactly match each other and England is on it's own with a worse rate will be the argument that restrictions have worked. With any luck as a get out excuse to roll them back, rather than to say they work and need to stay.

Just because the ONS data showed 1 in 15 people in England had covid at the peak compared to 1 in 20 in Scotland still does not justify the Scottish Government's introduction of restrictions. Such a small difference shows it was *not* an acceptable trade off. Then there is the fact that Scotland may likely have marginally less spread naturally, due to having more people living in rural and remote communities, etc.

Edited by Elixir