Coronavirus (COVID-19)

One thing that's absolutely clear, I think [mention=13694]Big Fifer[/mention] covered it in his post about meeting John Mason, is that people aren't sticking to restrictions limiting the number of households etc.  The first couple of lockdowns I think most people stuck to things and met outside, no-one is doing that now.  Obviously the SG can close down nightclubs and football grounds but they must be aware that the other restrictions are in force in name only.
The household mixing stuff just now is simply a "strongly advise / plead" rather than anything actually legal or enforceable hence why no one is paying any heed as basically no one has to in a household setting.

6 minutes ago, Al B said:

In the case of my closest Aunt and Uncle, my Aunt had Cancer pre-Covid that thankfully had gone into remission for a few years, then obviously lockdown kicked in and, as was the case with everyone, we weren't able to see each other.

During lockdown her Cancer returned, and it was a massive fight to be able to be seen, with appointments and operations constantly cancelled and pushed back due to Covid. Finally after almost a year of waiting, she was scheduled in for what was by that time, a 50/50, last chance procedure to save her life. The night before she was due to be admitted for her operartion she was awoken my a massive clatter in the bathroom, and ran in to find my Uncle having had a massive heart attack due to the stress of it all and the thought of losing his wife due to the delays and restrictions. He was dead before he'd hit the floor.

She was left with no real choice but to go through with being admitted the next day as it has been delayed repeatedly for almost a year and was already her last chance. Sadly post-op she lasted another 6 weeks and unfortunately passed away.

I 100% understand the pressures that the hospitals etc were facing pre-vaccine and whilst it still hurts like hell that, in a non-Covid world they would both likely still be here, we're in a very different scenario now. Because of restrictions I left the house of two happy, relatively healthy people at the end of February 2020, and we parted with a hug, a "see you soon", and a wave as we drove off, and I never saw them again other than effectively twice sitting by myself in a crematorium 6 weeks apart with 19 other people spaced out in it, my mum bawling her eyes out and me not even being able to comfort her....just sitting 10 feet away watching her cry. Their deaths are hard enough but the real knife in the heart is that we all spent months sitting by ourselves in our houses not knowing that we'd never see each other again.

Back then, I had more of an acceptance of what the restrictions were for, what they were doing and whey they were necessary. But now? There's people living through that exact scenario for absolutely no reason whatsoever, that has never even had an attempt at rational justification. The whole thing has been handled disgustingly with what seems like complete disregard for anyone thats suffering, ill or dying of anything other than Covid, and I've all but had enough of it.

I'm not sure who she thinks it is that she's protecting at this stage with all this, but it's definitely not the general public or the country.

Thats one of the most profound posts ive read on here, must have been both hard to relive that to type and awful to go through. Hope you are ok and that you consider speaking with someone if it gets too much. You’ve basically hit the nail on the head as to what this pandemic has done to many people and the price paid by people ‘caring’. Iv heard a few similar things from healthcare professionals but reading about it first hand from family members puts a different perspective on the toll it takes. So sorry for the loss your family has had. 

Speaking of the mask.

It genuinely doesn’t bother me wearing one, and when this all started I took the position I can only worry about what I do when out in public, not what others so.

I did laugh one day heading into the supermarket seeing this women standing outside smoking, drops the butt on the group, go into her pause and pull out a mask exempt lanyard and walk inside casually as you can. 

Whilst I'll be delighted if the crowds coming back story is true, it does highlight what a pointless bit of theatre it was banning them for three weeks. If it had any sort of impact at all then we wouldn't be loosening it with hospital numbers (with and because of...seen as we can't differentiate...) on the rise.

If it is true then it'll make Drakeford's 'don't back down, double down' approach look even more ridiculous as well. Which would be excellent.

31 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If you are suffering chest pains you need to be going to a hospital not your GP.

Or dialling 999.

Paramedics bring equipment with them which can perform ECGs or EKGs or whatever it is called as far as I remember.

You really shouldn't be sitting this one out.

If it’s sudden onset chest pain then yes absolutely. For mild discomfort in the chest, at intermittent times I was told to visit the GP (who then told me they thought my cardiac health was fine).

1 minute ago, NorthernLights said:

Do we think indoor gigs will be back to normal too (with vaccine passports of course)?

Someone mentioned the ice hockey in an earlier post and tbh the 3 Scottish professional clubs need their crowds back every bit as much if not more than some football clubs. Here’s hoping they get indoor events back today too, or I fear ice hockey in Scotland will be in a very difficult position, especially considering teams in their own league have full capacity in England.

4 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Someone mentioned the ice hockey in an earlier post and tbh the 3 Scottish professional clubs need their crowds back every bit as much if not more than some football clubs. Here’s hoping they get indoor events back today too, or I fear ice hockey in Scotland will be in a very difficult position, especially considering teams in their own league have full capacity in England.

Surely nuance has to come in here.

Aren't large indoor venues, with air conditioning sweeping through it, a fairly decent replica of an outdoor environment? (Genuine Q - have no idea)

13 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Surely nuance has to come in here.

Aren't large indoor venues, with air conditioning sweeping through it, a fairly decent replica of an outdoor environment? (Genuine Q - have no idea)

I see you're new here. 

32 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

Do we think indoor gigs will be back to normal too (with vaccine passports of course)?

No. If they were then I don't see why the whisky festival would have waited till last Friday to postpone their event at SWG3 next Sat.

They'll have had notice that capacity restrictions, bans on vertical drinking and distancing between groups will be remaining in place.

No. If they were then I don't see why the whisky festival would have waited till last Friday to postpone their event at SWG3 next Sat.
They'll have had notice that capacity restrictions, bans on vertical drinking and distancing between groups will be remaining in place.

Nobody has any notice of anything. The SPFL didn't have a clue as of yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I like this bit:

Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at Edinburgh University, told BBC Scotland on Monday that there was a "complete lack of necessity to keep us indoors" because "the virus does not transmit outdoors".

He added: "Somehow, through the scientific advisory systems and the politicians, this didn't get translated into public health action.

"As a result we all spent a lot of time having our activities curtailed for very little effect and far too long in my view."

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The language used was also infuriating. The only definition of "living with covid" she will listen to is her own.

She is desperate to maintain the reputation the 'Independent SAGE' nutters have of her. Such a total weirdo.

40 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Can't believe my head might be staying on today. Was fully prepared for a 2 to 3 week miserable extension.

Even if she chucks some scraps back our way it's still a fucking disgrace what is being done to indoor venues, and hospitality and leisure. When is all the ludicrously pointless theatre like plastic screens, 'test and protect' and masks getting launched into the fucking sun. England will be ending the need for this utter shite in a mere fortnight.