Coronavirus (COVID-19)

32 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Who could have predicted that forcing people to wear (often dirty) facecoverings, and forcing people to gather in houses rather than larger (sometimes outdoor) spaces would have the opposite effect than intended.

This is what happens when you view Covid as the only thing that matters, and become obsessed with trying to control numbers that, short of a march 2020 style lockdown, you have nowhere near the level of control over as you think.

Agree with the bulk of this, but surely the issue with face coverings (dirty or otherwise) is that the way the policy has been implemented makes it a relatively ineffective tool at the population level (as you alluded to re indoor gatherings), rather than any particular failing of the masks themselves or the idea behind them?

3 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Usual morning group chat rumours on days like this, no idea if it’s genuine etc etc usual caveats but provides some hope!

1C75618E-8EAC-4361-BB55-DB0294D3A4C0.thumb.jpeg.8854d4d795f141b46364db7973b4c597.jpeg 

If and I say if that is genuine, it blows the theory Cabinet meet on a Tuesday morning to make decisions out of the water.

8 minutes ago, derek_holmes said:

Agree with the bulk of this, but surely the issue with face coverings (dirty or otherwise) is that the way the policy has been implemented makes it a relatively ineffective tool at the population level (as you alluded to re indoor gatherings), rather than any particular failing of the masks themselves or the idea behind them?

The failure of the policy started when people were able to self declare (without the need to prove) that they were exempt.

It further failed when it allowed people to use literally anything to cover their face.

If they wish to keep facecoverings around in genuine high-risk settings (i.e. parts of hospitals) then fine, but they need to have no exceptions, and provide decent masks (e.g. FFP2 / FFP3). But this needs to be demonstrated how they help with infection control in general, and not just a slight reduction in one specific pathogen.

Keeping masks around on public transport / aircraft / shops / hospitality (for about 2 minutes of your entire stay) is just completely silly and shouldn't even be entertained.

2 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

If and I say if that is genuine, it blows the theory Cabinet meet on a Tuesday morning to make decisions out of the water.

It’s not really practical for them to decide on the morning then draw up a statement. 

I presume the morning meeting is just to ratify what’s already been decided. 

12 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Usual morning group chat rumours on days like this, no idea if it’s genuine etc etc usual caveats but provides some hope!

1C75618E-8EAC-4361-BB55-DB0294D3A4C0.thumb.jpeg.8854d4d795f141b46364db7973b4c597.jpeg 

I think that’s fake. I hope not but the thing is the app is already updated to show booster jags. 

12 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Shafting hospitality again then just to save a bit of face.

What a government we have.

10 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

I certainly hear NS's voice in my head when I read that. The thing that puts a doubt in my mind is the update to the NHS app - that's already there (although I'm irrationally irritated by it saying "1 of 2", "2 of 2" and "3 of 3"). 

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Only because they were required by some other countries, not here.

Ah, good point - it's the "international" bit that has the 3 doses.

I assume that at the moment, the domestic QR code appears if you've had 2 doses. If this is indeed real, the update will be to make it only appear with 3.

The shifting goalposts on fully vaccinated is fucking bullshit.  i had no problem taking my first two but I don't want to take jag after jag after jag. there should't even be such a thing as vaccine passports in any case. 

My partner has had some issues since having her initial two doses ( I don't need to go into specifics, but she isn't alone and it has been noted in the BMJ) but gets nothing but a rubber ear from her GP or worse even, condescension when requesting follow up with an issue she needs help with - "oh you need to be fully vaccinated for a referal, so i'm afraid youl have to get your booster first

f**k off

12 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The shifting goalposts on fully vaccinated is fucking bullshit.  i had no problem taking my first two but I don't want to take jag after jag after jag. there should't even be such a thing as vaccine passports in any case. 

My partner has had some issues since having her initial two doses ( I don't need to go into specifics, but she isn't alone and it has been noted in the BMJ) but gets nothing but a rubber ear from her GP or worse even, condescension when requesting follow up with an issue she needs help with - "oh you need to be fully vaccinated for a referal, so i'm afraid youl have to get your booster first

f**k off

Not quite to the same level, but I’ve been getting (luckily mild and intermittent) chest pains since my second dose, so was quite worried about the booster and reluctant to go for it. Although I wasn’t overly satisfied with the level of check on my cardiac health (they basically said they thought it was muscle strain, which doesn’t really add up with the type of pain and location, and didn’t do an ECG) the GP did at least see me.

Due to the fact I knew I’d end up needing it for travel and to go to sports events etc I’ve just gone this morning and got it. 

Edit: Forgot to add, I don’t think the vaccine is causing this and I think it’s purely coincidental, but as I’m a young guy who’s realistically at absolutely no risk from Covid itself I’d have preferred to edge on the side of personal caution. Unfortunately that’s been taken away from me if I want to be part of society.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

6 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

f**k off

I’m with you on this. Had Covid early December. T&P lady says I’ll be showing positive antibodies for up to 90 days. I got a fairly severe reaction to both of the initial jags. Why then should I have to get another booster and feel shite for another weekend when that only gives me 70 days protection? Fuqdat. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

One thing that's absolutely clear, I think @Big Fifer covered it in his post about meeting John Mason, is that people aren't sticking to restrictions limiting the number of households etc.  The first couple of lockdowns I think most people stuck to things and met outside, no-one is doing that now.  Obviously the SG can close down nightclubs and football grounds but they must be aware that the other restrictions are in force in name only.

Yep it’d be interesting to see at what point most chucked following the restrictions.

I behaved myself and followed the rules right at the start even the daft only go out for 1 walk or for an hour a day or whatever it was which seems utterly bonkers now.

Summer came and things looked a bit more positive but when we got locked back down before christmas 2020 for the mythical ‘Kent variant’ was the point I said f**k it and started doing what I wanted re household gatherings and visiting other local authorities.

The levels pish with Glasgow and others being unnecessarily punished continually was the point the SNP lost it for me.

The SG will know many have chucked it these 3 weeks for the Omicron have done nothing but take further money away from businesses affected. Any extension to these today would be criminal.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge