Coronavirus (COVID-19)

33 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'm not saying the decisions are not poor. I was asking your opinion on why they want to look like they care. 

My opinion is based on almost two years of having additional restrictions than England, having restictions for longer periods of time than England, of the FM saying she is not being political and then making an overtly political point, repeated comments by the FM that she makes no apologies for restrictions, of veiled digs that she would do more if she could, repeated comments along the lines of we "just don't know" when erring on the side of caution. 

Ultimately she will do anything she can to out care the Tories which the vast majority of her supporters just lap up rather than acting for the overall benefit of the country. 

52 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Leitch's overreach genuinely seems to knows no bounds. He's in the top 3 worst things to emerge from the pandemic. 

33 minutes ago, George Parr said:

1. Janey Godley's comedy.

2. Jason Leitch's overreach.

3. The virus and all its variants.

If you consider the absolute most worst things as a top three in Scotland then its Godley, Leitch, Devi and then in 4th place is the virus itself. 

Check this shite https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2245143/hospitals-ordered-to-immediately-admit-child-covid-cases

Heads gone for me.

The boy has been asked to be vaccinated 5-10 yo. Most folk were not sure....BANG 

The prime minister is concerned about the reported case of a hospital rejecting a child. He asked the Public Health Ministry to arrange for the efficient admission or referral of this group of patients, because children have lower immunity from not having been vaccinated like adults," Ms Traisuree said.

Edited by SlipperyP

21 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

This post is fucking massive, so apologies.

Got to say fair play to Mason for actually taking a fairly significant bit of time out to speak to you. I’ve tried twice with my local MSP and they haven’t even given me the respect of an email back to acknowledge it.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

I disagree but didn't realise you were referring to pundits rather than commentators. There aren't many ex pros who commentate on matches, completely different skillset. 

That Harry Enfield sketch is taking the piss out of the idea that women shouldn't be expected to be involved in football TV coverage. 

Let’s be clear.

Commentators AND pundits.

In my experience, most men can relate to the Harry and Paul characters with sympathy. Anyway, changed days.

47 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Wasn't one of the first things our FM said when the variant started to impact the UK that she hadn't looked at other countries. I take it that our SG's advisors completely ignored the data and evidence from South Africa. Ignored the fact that we were sitting on over 80% of the population of Scotland double vaccinated and rising at the time, now we have the majority boosted. What is going on, who are we protecting now?

Data and evidence from South Africa is only valid when it supports the interests of the knicker-wetter brigade to impose restrictions to 'keep people safe'.

Once the exact same scientists pointed out the utter futility of racist travel bans (correctly - cue subsequent government climbdown) and that Shanicron cases were both milder and falling like snow off a dyke, they became 'useless Third World foreigners who probably couldn't even use a microscope by themselves'. 

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

Data and evidence from South Africa is only valid when it supports the interests of the knicker-wetter brigade to impose restrictions to 'keep people safe'.

Once the exact same scientists pointed out the utter futility of racist travel bans (correctly - cue subsequent government climbdown) and that Shanicron cases were both milder and falling like snow off a dyke, they became 'useless Third World foreigners who probably couldn't even use a microscope by themselves'. 

Leitch gave the game away on this with his "and, crucially, from Edinburgh" when talking about research last week.

Basically they will take bad data from anywhere at face value, but only believe good data if it's from here.

28 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Got to say fair play to Mason for actually taking a fairly significant bit of time out to speak to you. I’ve tried twice with my local MSP and they haven’t even given me the respect of an email back to acknowledge it.

To be fair, I know a few of his constituents and despite some of his views he’s always been seen as a good MSP for them

27 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Agreed. I don't agree with him on much and can understand why folk maybe wouldn't want to meet with him (or any member of parliament frankly), but regardless, it was good of him to take the time to speak to me especially given the tone of my previous e-mails.

A further point - I mentioned that the chaotic government down south makes me sick but I am so thankful for the chaos because it seems like the Scottish Government will be dragged kicking and screaming away from the current restrictions. He agreed that whilst there is no financial support available the government can't keep these restrictions in place. It might just be my interpretation of the answer but I would not be surprised to see fans back in stadiums again very soon. 

The FM using the example of Denmark in the discussion of Omicron is a really telling moment in all of this.  It was pre-pre-data and was contradicted by the data from South Africa, which had more detail, was more comprehensive and, crucially, was further ahead in the wave than anywhere.

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The FM using the example of Denmark in the discussion of Omicron is a really telling moment in all of this.  It was pre-pre-data and was contradicted by the data from South Africa, which had more detail, was more comprehensive and, crucially, was further ahead in the wave than anywhere.

It's the same with early treatments. Any data from the global south is disregarded.

Just been in a bizarre meeting. People talking about case numbers like it was 2020 again. "Case rates in Edinburgh are the highest they've ever been - it is so worrying..."

Well, yes - if this was one of the early variants. And we had no vaccines. Or other treatments. And we were not asking students to test before coming to class. But that is all missed - "case rates" was all the talk. 

One guy said he planned to just teach online because of the case rates. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just been in a bizarre meeting. People talking about case numbers like it was 2020 again. "Case rates in Edinburgh are the highest they've ever been - it is so worrying..."

This is all on the SG at this point.

Too many for whatever reason refuse to think for themselves or analyse and consider their own acceptable risk. Simply stop peddling the fear and folk will get on with their lives.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

What a surprise I'm sure the local MSP is not the only person that gives you the big swerve in real life.

Ma wee Dug 

Edited by SlipperyP

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

The Tory plan of allowing the public sector to be destroyed by letting public sector workers redefine the minimum level of public service is impressively sleekit.

Not sure it’s a simple as that though.

The public won’t accept higher taxes. This very conveniently plays right into the private sectors hands without them having to control the narrative.

The members of the public who won’t accept tax rises to fund essential services are fucking it for themselves. 

11 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone else expecting the restrictions will be lifted in this week’s update? 

Considering it's probably nailed on that England will be dropping their 'Plan B' on the 26th, I don't think they'll have any option. The only question is how they weasel their way around justifying the climbdown.

10 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Nope. Not entirely. We’ve got a strategic framework about living with covid in the works so there’ll be some sort of levels pish with that I’m sure.

Which will be utterly irrelevant and roundly ignored. I don't think these people realise just how much the bulk of people are over it now. Come summer especially it is going to look ludicrous if they keep trying to flog this dead horse.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

He is going to be deported. Biofascism won't take a step back.

The consensus today that unless you have the correct number of approved vaccines to enter a country you should be barred pretty much kills international travel as it formerly existed. 

Fucking hell. 😂😭

2 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The NHS is struggling without  lockdown = spl gates are dwindling without rangers

It's definitely the same energy!

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Well, yes - if this was one of the early variants. And we had no vaccines. Or other treatments. And we were not asking students to test before coming to class. But that is all missed - "case rates" was all the talk.

One guy said he planned to just teach online because of the case rates.

So many chancers rip the utter pish out of this.