Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Glennie said:

my sister works in a shop. the way she goes on about it every fucking day youd think it was a cold war situation room

I wouldn’t imagine a Cold War would require a situation room.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

He doesn’t have much of a life outside this forum.  Of course he’s going to take it seriously, particularly when there’s other likeminded people validating his opinion.

Have a go at deconstructing the arguments on here, instead of crying because you’ve read something you don’t like that others agree with.

2 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Have a go at deconstructing the arguments on here, instead of crying because you’ve read something you don’t like that others agree with.

The ‘arguments’ on here are not worth deconstructing.  They are the mewlings of a tiny, tiny minority of the people of Scotland.  They are also inconsistent.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The ‘arguments’ on here are not worth deconstructing.  They are the mewlings of a tiny, tiny minority of the people of Scotland.  They are also inconsistent.

This is the very worst type of contribution. 

7,561 new cases of COVID-19 reported* (12602 yesterday)

38,423 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results*

23.2% of these were positive  (25.1% yesterday)

3 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends).  

55 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (48 yesterday)

1,382 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (1362 yesterday)

4,391,558 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 4,045,667 have received their second dose, and 3,101,096 have received a third dose or booster.

* There continues to be large volumes of tests being processed by labs; this has impacted turnaround times resulting in delays between specimen’s beings taken and results being received and reported. PHS are continuing to monitor the situation.

52 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I find this a fairly disingenuous take on things. People, particularly elderly people, were going to die of covid regardless of what interventions were taken, and in most cases politicians were choosing between two or more options where every single one of those options was going to lead to some risk of deaths somewhere. It's a bit like the "trolley dilemma" where you're asked whether you'd pull a lever to direct a train towards a person on the tracks in order to save the lives of five on board. Difficult decisions were needed, and I think it's unhelpful to blame politicians anywhere in the world for sometimes making the wrong ones. Obviously there should be an enquiry, but it has to take into account the potential risks associated with other decisions too.

Aside from that, there have been under 10,000 deaths in Scotland across the entire pandemic, of which somewhere in the region of 2800 occurred in care homes. I therefore think it is wildly inaccurate to suggest that any decision made on returning patients to care homes at the start of that was responsible for "thousands" of them.

I dont agree at all re the decision to put people into care homes without testing. You can apply the trolley car dilemma etc if you want, but quite simply I find it inexcusable.

Its perfectly acceptable to blame politicians for their mistakes and I agree it has to be measured against the alternatives but I think the care homes decision was absolutely ghastly. Doctors essentially briefed that people in care homes shouldn’t be sent into hospital, pushing people who could be treated towards palliative pathways is disgraceful. 

I think the realisation that such a horrific mistake was made has resulted in the uber cautious approach we have seen since this time. 

1 minute ago, D.V.T. said:

She’s also playing a gig on 25th January. I thought she’d want to “protect the NHS”

It normally takes these people a bit longer to trip themselves up, but here we are.

Replies turned off now, of course - the true mark of a "moonhowler"

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Still waiting on your definition of a moonhowler from last night, a few ^^^ didn't really make much sense. 

Something other than a gif, some smart comment or keyboard graphics would be nice. 

For what its worth my opinion is that the current restictions are neither necessary nor proportionate and that they have been deeply flawed and of little value throughout other than being a vehicle for Nicola Sturgeon to try and appear more "caring". In my humble opinion her opinion poll ratings should not have been the litmus test for closing whole sectors of society. Time after time the SG has taken the easy option and gone for the same soft targets.