Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 minutes ago, Empty It said:
21 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
It is a shocking thread where any deviation from the groupthink is met with outright hostility and insults, this post will get at least 6 reddies and I could confidently predict where 5 of them will come from. We are in a world where TiG is consistently the most greenied poster weekly for no other reason than the echo chamber which is this thread. 

It's funny because you're describing exactly what's happened for years whenever anyone has had the audacity to question or criticise Sturgeon or the SG.

Fair point, well made, good luck.

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Err, 'broken' to the degree that I am furious at the continued meddling in our lives when we should be back to normality by now, with it being reassuring that there are many who share this view. No surprise a boot licking clown like yourself would be unable to grasp this.

I want all restrictions lifted. However, I, like many others who share this view are able to do so without wasting hours and hours a week reading about Covid, trawling through Twitter for people to laugh at, posting Jose Mourinho meme faces like a small child etc.

This all began because the xenophobic, immigrant hating SNP made it hard for girlfriend to fly to Poland to see her family so you could get 2 weeks of Tennent's Lager and wanking.

8 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I think I get where you are going here. There is a middle class thought that you can shut the schools, work from home and it will all be super and lovely. I have said before that many (mostly middle class) people view the first lockdown the same way that some view the blitz - a jolly good time with everyone banding together and forgetting the tough stuff like the fear and the deaths. 

For many Covid was all rainbows in Windows, Captain Tom, clapping on Thursdays and forgetting the illness, mental health impacts, domestic violence, lost education, destroyed economy, jobs lost and so on. 

But the wording of the first post doesn't convey that well. 

The safety hysteria is also elevated among the middle class, because like the cholera epidemics of Victorian Glasgow and London, the comfortably off can't cope with an invisible threat that pays little* regard to their current wealth or status. 

The Victorian bourgeois solution was to both invest in large public health projects (aqueducts/sewers) and also to flee to emerging suburbs as far as way from the disease-ridden plebs as possible. At the moment it is perpetual safety theatre but once the middle class find a more effective way to shield themselves as a class, then they'll be happy to overlook the unchanged life expectancy of those who lived in Calton and Shettleston before, during and after the pandemic. 

* though not zero, as both then and now the poor made up a disproportionate number of victims. 

My 10 boxes of LFTs I was sent as a "reward" for getting to all 4 Hampden Euros games will be gold dust on ebay by the summer although I suspect most households will be the same. There must be enough unused LFTs in existence that any charge for them would have zero effect for years and that will only become more prevalent as obsessive testers will start stockpiling given they can be picked up for free in any village, town or city for months yet. Won't this simply force those seeking a test (and let's face it testing numbers show there are millions of them) to book PCRs instead thus probably rendering any savings on LFTs meaningless ?

I want all restrictions lifted. However, I, like many others who share this view are able to do so without wasting hours and hours a week reading about Covid, trawling through Twitter for people to laugh at, posting Jose Mourinho meme faces like a small child etc.
This all began because the xenophobic, immigrant hating SNP made it hard for girlfriend to fly to Poland to see her family so you could get 2 weeks of Tennent's Lager and wanking.
And we thought it was because Covid relegated Hearts.

The reaction from NS to hearing such "news" on LFTs is understandable, in as much as she knew nothing about it.

But the follow up about "we'll just need to fund it ourselves" is where she really needs to step back and think about what she says and when she says it.

As well as diverting funds again from different budgets to fund the tests themselves, there would (I assume) be additional funding required to support staff and businesses who lost out on income from having to isolate as a result, as well as sustaining the impact on the NHS of staff absences.

NS might not feel that March / April is the right time to scrap such a system, but she must also recognise that the current mass testing approach cannot continue indefinitely. When does she envisage people can stop testing themselves before meeting someone else?

If this does come to pass, and NS does decide to rob other budgets to keep the system in place up here, then the onus is on her to demonstrate the benefit of doing so over following WM's lead. Their recent attempt to do similar was a bit of a disaster, which gives me no confidence at all that they would be able to do so. Cherrypicked data, outdated data, conjecture and spin will be used to show that, once more, they were right and the "reckless toarrrries" were wrong.

In short, I can already see the car crash response from the SG to England scaling back testing (and essentially getting on with it) whenever that comes to pass.

This is the second time you've been on about this but don't appear to have booked a PCR test, which would've been the obvious course of action?

Apologies if I've got this wrong but this is how it comes across.

New govt guidelines seem to suggest it’s not a requirement now? f17b3d474b7f7d3a800694f49379acdb.jpg

Just going to start doing LFT’s from Thursday night and see how it plays out I think.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The reaction from NS to hearing such "news" on LFTs is understandable, in as much as she knew nothing about it.

But the follow up about "we'll just need to fund it ourselves" is where she really needs to step back and think about what she says and when she says it.

As well as diverting funds again from different budgets to fund the tests themselves, there would (I assume) be additional funding required to support staff and businesses who lost out on income from having to isolate as a result, as well as sustaining the impact on the NHS of staff absences.

NS might not feel that March / April is the right time to scrap such a system, but she must also recognise that the current mass testing approach cannot continue indefinitely. When does she envisage people can stop testing themselves before meeting someone else?

If this does come to pass, and NS does decide to rob other budgets to keep the system in place up here, then the onus is on her to demonstrate the benefit of doing so over following WM's lead. Their recent attempt to do similar was a bit of a disaster, which gives me no confidence at all that they would be able to do so. Cherrypicked data, outdated data, conjecture and spin will be used to show that, once more, they were right and the "reckless toarrrries" were wrong.

In short, I can already see the car crash response from the SG to England scaling back testing (and essentially getting on with it) whenever that comes to pass.

All she needed to say was ‘these are just reports, I’m not aware of any such plans and I wouldn’t support it at this time’

Quite why she’s flown off the handle is beyond me. 

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

All she needed to say was ‘these are just reports, I’m not aware of any such plans and I wouldn’t support it at this time’

Quite why she’s flown off the handle is beyond me. 

Can't miss an opportunity to air a grievance and bemoan the devolution settlement. It's red meat to the faithful.

The problem with drip drip to the media is that you don't see the full plans - and undoubtedly there will be the usual surprises.

As I said last night I've no issue with a plan to move to normal living with Covid - but clearly that has to be sensible. I get that there may be a continuation in the short run of free LFT testing for particular sectors - care homes and NHS staff were mentioned last night.

What I don't want to see is the removal of free LFTs and then some employers outwith the relevant sectors still insisting on staff taking LFTs at their own expense - if employers want to do that they need to pay for them.

We'll wait and see what is published - to see if the headlines match the actual content.

12 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Pretty disgraceful post IMO. Already receiving plenty of green dots, some from people who have claimed in the past to be all for positive mental health. Pathetic.

55 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Zahawi playing it down on the politics shows this morning.

Gutted if they don’t go through with this.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah I’m not sure why lots of people seem to use this as an insult/way to to get under the skin of a poster. Anyone who feels they haven’t been affected by Covid is either lying or mentally unhinged.

I am absolutely heavily affected by Covid (not the virus itself, the restrictions we’ve been living under for nearly 2 years). I’ve definitely become angrier at times (whenever anyone mentions restrictions really, and especially when they try to argue that they are good and they work based on no evidence) and incredibly down at times. Why posters think that is something to use to attack other posters with baffles me.

far worst that the virus and restrictions is how easily the masses have been manipulated into believing and doing the most heinous and idiotic shite

it means this will never go away as long as the powers that be have the power and means to manufacture mass hysteria.

Pretty disgraceful post IMO. Already receiving plenty of green dots, some from people who have claimed in the past to be all for positive mental health. Pathetic.

The only pathetic thing here is you - it was a joke or are you too dumb to see that?

It seems that Granny is fair game for the point and laugh brigade here but God forbid anyone say anything about the main players.

If you can't take it don't give it.

To be fair to Elixir he tends to take it and gives it back in equal measure.

I don't think he needs a minder tbqh.

You need to lighten up.

59 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

It is a shocking thread where any deviation from the groupthink is met with outright hostility and insults, this post will get at least 6 reddies and I could confidently predict where 5 of them will come from. We are in a world where TiG is consistently the most greenied poster weekly for no other reason than the echo chamber which is this thread. 

how the tables turn

ive lost friends, family, job, money, health........ for questioning this insanity since March 2020, taken endless abuse

and yer moaning about forum votes now that folk are finally waking up

Edited by Glennie

56 minutes ago, Empty It said:
59 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

It's funny because you're describing exactly what's happened for years whenever anyone has had the audacity to question or criticise Sturgeon or the SG.

Absolutely.