Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The article was absolutely abysmal tbf. I had to go to the fullfact Twitter and search it out to get the actual story. Essentially they are claiming that the ONS survey (which is effectively an estimate) is more reliable for prevalence of Covid than official testing numbers as these depend on factors like people choosing to get tested etc. 

Seems incredibly questionable to me in all honesty.

I posted about this earlier in the thread, but the ONS study is almost certainly a more reliable estimate. The official testing numbers are basically equivalent to an estimate too, since it certainly doesn't catch all the people who actually have covid, only those who have bothered to get a test.

The ONS data consist of a completely random sample of the population, and a fairly sizeable one at that, and therefore it is representative of the population. The actual testing numbers are a self-selecting sample since there are certain elements of the population who are more likely to get tested (teachers, healthcare workers, hypochondriacs etc) and certain elements who are less likely to get tested (young people, covid sceptics etc). The latter approach is more likely to lead to a biased estimate of the true number of people with the disease.

On 07/01/2022 at 10:25, Todd_is_God said:

At this point I can't be certain if this is a parody or not

20220107_102412.jpg

This is a parody taken from a piss take TikTok account.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-coronavirus-zoom/fact-check-screenshot-of-email-in-which-employees-are-being-asked-to-wear-masks-during-a-zoom-meeting-is-satirical-idUSL1N2TN1PX

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
8 minutes ago, throbber said:
What a disgraceful performance from Granny Danger last night.

Surely you wouldn't have been expecting any different?

I suppose not - I’m not in this thread very often but it does seem pretty intimidating.

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I don’t think those things were peculiarly middle-class things though. It's easy to throw in stereotypes when we all know that everyone has had a different experience of the pandemic. Even within the same household the experience may be quite different depending on the job you do etc

I think it's dangerous to pin the blame on one group in society - apart from the politicians that is.

Probably true overall. Plenty people that aren't middle class went and clapped for the NHS/battered pots for them and thought Captain Tom was great and likely contributed to his efforts. 

The middle classes were however undeniably in a hugely privileged position during lockdown. The vast majority of them were working from home and whilst this does come with its downsides (expecially when leisure activities are restricted) they were mostly protected from this new virus that we knew nothing about as a result. The food still got delivered, supermarkets were open and Amazon still arrived. Other people were there to serve them and encountered all the risk. The wheel kept turning albeit in a more restricted manner than usual. 

I think that's what makes the blitz spirit stuff all the weirder. Ignoring the fact that bombs weren't being dropped on their town/city at night, it wasn't exactly an equal effort in terms of keeping society going. Yet for some reason, these people have since taken it upon themselves to look down on and generally sneer at activities they don't think are worthy and that people shouldn't be doing them. All in the name of controlling the virus, of course. Or so they badge it -the real reason is that they are oblivious to the effect these measures have on people. They are alright, Jack. They then have the cheek to call people selfish for doing things they think ought to be banned. 

I don't think anyone really apportions blame to the middle classes exclusively, but there is a prevalent mindset amongst a fair proportion of that demographic that is grating. In short, society should be restricted to protect them from encountering the virus and to hell with everyone else this impacts. We've seen it with hospitality, with foreign travel and most recently with football too. Never mind other people's enjoyment and never mind their livelihoods either; I demand I do not catch this virus I have been triple vaccinated against. It's a thoroughly selfish attitude and it has to stop, particularly the strange expectation they have that these things ought to be done on a mere whim. 

Edited by Michael W
Typo

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Main story flying around this morning is the rumour about the UKG scrapping free LFT's.

Already NS is not happy.

Been said that SG could fund LFT's in Scotland if this comes to pass UK level.

Is the correct answer. Sturgeon wants it? Sturgeon finds the budget for it. 

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Main story flying around this morning is the rumour about the UKG scrapping free LFT's.

Already NS is not happy.

Been said that SG could fund LFT's in Scotland if this comes to pass UK level.

Zahawi playing it down on the politics shows this morning.

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

What a disgraceful performance from Granny Danger last night.

Is it to the undernoted post that you refer?

12 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Most of the people who post on this thread are moon howlers who are not in the least bit representative of the wider public.

I know this is stating the obvious but sometimes it’s necessary.

20 minutes ago, throbber said:

I suppose not - I’m not in this thread very often but it does seem pretty intimidating.

It is a shocking thread where any deviation from the groupthink is met with outright hostility and insults, this post will get at least 6 reddies and I could confidently predict where 5 of them will come from. We are in a world where TiG is consistently the most greenied poster weekly for no other reason than the echo chamber which is this thread. 

It is a shocking thread where any deviation from the groupthink is met with outright hostility and insults, this post will get at least 6 reddies and I could confidently predict where 5 of them will come from. We are in a world where TiG is consistently the most greenied poster weekly for no other reason than the echo chamber which is this thread. 
It's funny because you're describing exactly what's happened for years whenever anyone has had the audacity to question or criticise Sturgeon or the SG.

49 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah I’m not sure why lots of people seem to use this as an insult/way to to get under the skin of a poster. Anyone who feels they haven’t been affected by Covid is either lying or mentally unhinged.

I am absolutely heavily affected by Covid (not the virus itself, the restrictions we’ve been living under for nearly 2 years). I’ve definitely become angrier at times (whenever anyone mentions restrictions really, and especially when they try to argue that they are good and they work based on no evidence) and incredibly down at times. Why posters think that is something to use to attack other posters with baffles me.

Except in this instance the poster in question regularly trawls through Twitter trying to find people he can get raging at for being “broken” by COVID.

I don’t think I’ll be shedding any crocodile tears.

15 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

This is the last I'll say on the matter as I genuinely think this is a hugely important thread and don't want it to be sidetracked with petty squabbles (I know) but the last few pages, think certain posters need to take a break. You know who you are 

Reveal hidden contents

image.gif.9fd99987d821890089ac95198d293add.gif

Yet another cutting edge contribution!

15 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Says the man who posts about Covid hundreds of times a week. You're as broken as the weirdo doing 3 LFT a day and you don't even realise it.

Err, 'broken' to the degree that I am furious at the continued meddling in our lives when we should be back to normality by now, with it being reassuring that there are many who share this view. No surprise a boot licking clown like yourself would be unable to grasp this.

13 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I don’t think those things were peculiarly middle-class things though. It's easy to throw in stereotypes when we all know that everyone has had a different experience of the pandemic. Even within the same household the experience may be quite different depending on the job you do etc

I think it's dangerous to pin the blame on one group in society - apart from the politicians that is.

It's not pinning the blame on one group, though. There's just really no argument that can deny who the covid response disproportionately impacted.

6 hours ago, itzdrk said:

This is fair.  Elixir and the 8 mask folk are sharing the top tier and the rest of us filter down from there. 

So many banana bread makers on here it seems.

Edited by Elixir

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Except in this instance the poster in question regularly trawls through Twitter trying to find people he can get raging at for being “broken” by COVID.

I don’t think I’ll be shedding any crocodile tears.

I don't think you know how Twitter works. No surprises there really.