Coronavirus (COVID-19)

An emergency isn't really an objectively definable state, but covid restrictions were put in place in the face of an emergency, using emergency powers. Theres no need for a vote, as we are, quite clearly no longer in any sort of emergency, and they should be dropped along with any govts right to impose them. The only thing that should be voted on is any time they wish to have emergency powers again, and I would hope there would be more pause for thought next time.... 

What I don't want is some temporary removal where they could be reimposed in future.

What I am saying is that there should be a vote to completely end those emergency powers.

Any future need for emergency powers should require a new parliamentary vote.

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m just quoting this in case he sees sense and changes it.

22 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

You genuinely make some decent points but you miss the point so often. You also seem to feed off this thread like you need some sort of validation. Stop trying so hard 

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

State of that FFS.

17 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
34 minutes ago, Elixir said:
Covid is and always has been a middle class obsession.

Step away from the keyboard.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Your 24/7 obsession with this thread has just become too much for you hasn't it?  Take some time off

The middle classes worked from home ordering parcels from Amazon and making banana bread, while the working classes delivered said parcels and stocked supermarket shelves. Maybe one of you clearly enlightened legends could suggest otherwise?

Don't get me wrong, I'm part of the comfortable WFH class, but let's not kid on about what demographic has dragged the arse out of pandemic response. Cheers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59920281

Chester FC bosses have insisted the football club is English after the club was accused of breaking Welsh Covid rules. 

Chester, whose Bumpers Lane home straddles the England and Wales border, staged two home games over Christmas.

The club has been warned about playing further home matches with crowds.

Andy Morris, the club's chairman, said the location of the ground was no longer a joke and "had become a very real problem".

On Saturday, the Welsh government insisted Chester FC's stadium was in Wales and the club's home games were therefore subject to Welsh Covid restrictions.

There's an international precedent here, with Baarle-Hertog and Baarle-Nassau, where a building is considered to be in the country where the front door is - even if a border runs through it.

Surely this should be determined based on whoever Chester FC pay their business rates to - Cheshire or Flintshire. If the former, the entire stadium should be considered as being in England; if the latter, Wales. 

The middle classes worked from home ordering parcels from Amazon and making banana bread, while the working classes delivered said parcels and stocked supermarket shelves. Maybe one of you clearly enlightened legends could suggest otherwise?
Don't get me wrong, I'm part of the comfortable WFH class, but let's not kid on about what demographic has dragged the arse out of pandemic response. Cheers.

Could you get any more tropes into that post?

18 minutes ago, The Master said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59920281

There's an international precedent here, with Baarle-Hertog and Baarle-Nassau, where a building is considered to be in the country where the front door is - even if a border runs through it.

Surely this should be determined based on whoever Chester FC pay their business rates to - Cheshire or Flintshire. If the former, the entire stadium should be considered as being in England; if the latter, Wales. 

It's an interesting one as, whilst the front door to the stadium is in England, the turnstiles are not, meaning that every spectator who entered the stadium did so whilst in Wales. I assume, however, that it is also possible to reach the stands via the front door of the stadium.

Common sense needs to apply here, and the ground officially has an English postcode. Thinking back to previous times in the pandemic where household mixing was re-introduced at different times in Scotland and England, If I had a house which had the front door on a street in Scotland, but the back garden was in England, would my back garden fall under Scottish or English covid rules, and would those who entered the garden through the house (via the front door) be subject to different rules than those who entered through a gate directly in to the back garden?

Edited by Todd_is_God

29 minutes ago, Elixir said:

State of that.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Could you get any more tropes into that post?

There's a lot of them, that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

image.jpeg.87749d5f20516c78720ae1872e45b2c7.jpeg

Definitely had the pots and pans out in April 2020.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Hearts Covid relegation has absolutely ruined Paulo.

Oaft, spamming the thread now. The Hertz are sitting third while Dundee scramble for relevance in the relegation zone. The sooner the covid obsession dies the sooner I can waste less time seething about it on this thread and get back travelling, m8. sally.png

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's an interesting one as, whilst the front door to the stadium is in England, the turnstiles are not, meaning that every spectator who entered the stadium did so in Wales.

However, common sense needs to apply here, and the ground officially has an English postcode. Thinking back to previous times in the pandemic where household mixing was re-introduced at different times in Scotland and England, If I had a house which had the front door facing a street in England, but the back garden was in England, would my back garden fall under Scottish or English covid rules, and would those who entered the garden through the house (via the front door) be subject to different rules than those who entered through a gate directly in to the back garden?

Common sense has already been chucked out the window here with the Welsh police intervening.

I’d be curious to understand why they felt the need to intervene initially.

This is the last I'll say on the matter as I genuinely think this is a hugely important thread and don't want it to be sidetracked with petty squabbles (I know) but the last few pages, think certain posters need to take a break. You know who you are 

Spoiler

image.gif.9fd99987d821890089ac95198d293add.gif

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's an interesting one as, whilst the front door to the stadium is in England, the turnstiles are not, meaning that every spectator who entered the stadium did so whilst in Wales. I assume, however, that it is also possible to reach the stands via the front door of the stadium.

Common sense needs to apply here, and the ground officially has an English postcode. Thinking back to previous times in the pandemic where household mixing was re-introduced at different times in Scotland and England, If I had a house which had the front door on a street in Scotland, but the back garden was in England, would my back garden fall under Scottish or English covid rules, and would those who entered the garden through the house (via the front door) be subject to different rules than those who entered through a gate directly in to the back garden?

Although...if in some parallel universe England had Wales' restrictions and vice versa, I can't help but think Chester would turn their border-straddling into a loophole that allowed a full house.

I mean, I'd do it. 

Whatever is best for the club is the avenue their board/owners should pursue, but they do need to be careful about potential precedents that may adversely affect them in the future.