Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Yeah, he should just be renamed Professor Doom and be done with it. I really dont understand why the media don't even challenge or ask questions to understand the models?
Things like what are the assumptions underpinning this? Is it a worse case scenario? Did you model any other scenarios? 
The media have really failed during this pandemic. It's been sensationalist scare mongering throughout. I don't think any main stream outlet has been sceptical or challenging enough. The worm is maybe turning now but it's taken far too long.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, he should just be renamed Professor Doom and be done with it. I really dont understand why the media don't even challenge or ask questions to understand the models?

Things like what are the assumptions underpinning this? Is it a worse case scenario? Did you model any other scenarios? 

The media have really failed during this pandemic. It's been sensationalist scare mongering throughout. I don't think any main stream outlet has been sceptical or challenging enough. The worm is maybe turning now but it's taken far too long.

I wish I was the bookie these “experts” bet with, I wouldn’t be needing to go back to work tomorrow 

51 minutes ago, Lex said:

Looks like Boris and the big bad Tories got it right, and Nicola got it wrong. Is anyone surprised? All restrictions should be lifted today. They won’t be, though.
IMG_7461.jpg

I’m sure NS will be falling over herself to promote how Scotland’s infection rate is higher than England’s- just like she was when the situation was reversed for a few weeks.

Not.

The NHS sent untested people from hospitals into care homes. They refused to provide medical care to care home residents. People over 70 in hospital with Covid were given pallative care rather than treatment. DNRs were pushed onto disabled people. 

The purpose of all this is debatable but all of that happened in 2020 and certainly inflated the Covid IFR. 

3 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Does anyone know if anyone getting covid after their booster?  I’ve only known a few people getting it after double vaccination and a few before vaccinations were available.

I have had my booster and I currently have it. Very mild symptoms, but still. Also the friend who gave me it, I think also had his booster. 

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Is anyone here expert enough on the Emergency Corona Virus act to tell me if the Scottish one is granted by virtue of the UK one?

Eg; if the UK one is ended, does the Scottish one also end because it only exists as an extension of the UK act?

I’ve tried to work this out for a bit, but can’t find anything much on it tbh.

I'm sure once the UK Act goes, the SG can't, legally, enforce anything.

It's why they are itching for the powers to do so to be made permanent.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The NHS sent untested people from hospitals into care homes. They refused to provide medical care to care home residents. People over 70 in hospital with Covid were given pallative care rather than treatment. DNRs were pushed onto disabled people. 

The purpose of all this is debatable but all of that happened in 2020 and certainly inflated the Covid IFR. 

As did, undoubtably, the absence of mass testing.

Does anyone know if anyone getting covid after their booster?  I’ve only known a few people getting it after double vaccination and a few before vaccinations were available.
Yep, sister in law has had her booster and has had a positive LFT, waiting on the PCR to confirm it.

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Is anyone here expert enough on the Emergency Corona Virus act to tell me if the Scottish one is granted by virtue of the UK one?

Eg; if the UK one is ended, does the Scottish one also end because it only exists as an extension of the UK act?

I’ve tried to work this out for a bit, but can’t find anything much on it tbh.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm sure once the UK Act goes, the SG can't, legally, enforce anything.

It's why they are itching for the powers to do so to be made permanent.

No they can use public health powers, also quite a lot of legislation can be loosely interpreted to suit a particular view point. 

Would be interested to see if extensions are prolonged if a legal challenge from an impacted sector would spring up, licensing trade seems the most likely. 

Would it perhaps be the case that decisions would need to be approved by Parliament rather than by SG ministers if the UK Coronavirus Act goes? Both Parliaments are basically ruling by decree at the moment. 

Health is a devolved matter and so it wouldn't stop the SG shutting things down on health grounds even if the Act went. 

Edited by Michael W

Chalk that up as yet another win for The Good Guys, as we have been saying for a fair while. I'm sure the Gurdasani's and Old Man Danger's of the world will be along soon to rubbish one of the most esteemed and actually useful scientists and voices throughout the pandemic in the UK.

Hopefully these family Isolation even if you are not positive get canned today to be inline with rest of UK.  That and reducing 10 days to 7 days.

With Schools back tomorrow gonna be countless families with 2 working parents fucked shortly with the current policy.

Interesting I have a young lad at my work now in isolation, and deemed a family contact cos he shagged his bird recently (who he does not live with) FFS

I wonder if shooting your bolt in less than 15 minutes could get you out of contact jail 😉

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

20220104_112157.jpg

I’d never have imagined myself agreeing with almost every word of an article like that even a year ago, but here we are.

There are unfortunately people who’ll take one look at the headline and decide they don’t like it, but I’d love to see an SNP bootlicker try and take that article apart using facts and logic, without shit flinging or whataboutery.

2 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

I’d never have imagined myself agreeing with almost every word of an article like that even a year ago, but here we are.

There are unfortunately people who’ll take one look at the headline and decide they don’t like it, but I’d love to see an SNP bootlicker try and take that article apart using facts and logic, without shit flinging or whataboutery.

Indeed. It’s great to see an actual SNP bootlicker like Mackay come out swinging. A strong indication that Sturgeon has pushed her luck too far.

Edited by Thorongil