Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It's tomorrow.
There really should be an onus placed on the SG now to provide hard data to support their view that, not only are these restrictions necessary, they are quite prepared to extend them given that they believe the peak will occur after they are due to be lifted.
We're now well into Omicron being here.
How many people has it brought into hospital acutely ill from it?
And, by extension, What numbers can the NHS deal with before being "overwhelmed"?
How many people have died where it was the primary cause?
You keep saying you need more data to determine if it is, as suggested, milder. What data do you need, and when do you expect to have it?
These, to me, are the questions I would expect opposition parties to ask. I don't feel they undermine the public health message or play down what has happened over the last 21 months, but it's absolutely vital IMO that a government happy to be putting restrictions on people's lives at the drop of a hat should be prepared to answer these questions.
"We don't know so will need to wait another couple of weeks" really shouldn't be acceptable anymore, regardless of what countries elsewhere are doing.

The real issue for me isn't just restrictions but the nature of the restrictions they have gone for. It's headline grabbing shite of the worst kind.

If they genuinely felt restrictions were required, if the virus is so infectious, then the first target should be schools.

But as we've seen over the past 20 months they just aren't prepared to tackle the elephant in the room.

Instead we have the pantomime of restrictions aimed squarely at hospitality and the leisure sector - that are either ineffective or completely unworkable.

And that's before we get to the whole issue of civil liberties.

2 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I’ve been seeing people using the argument “it’s only a football game” for a while now 

As if they’re purposely missing the point because they know when it comes down to it, they don’t really have an argument 

Easier to dismiss than discuss 

Exactly.

"It's only [thing I don't care about]. We don't need that"

Is the worst argument out there, and completely avoids the real discussion about what is proportionate and / or effective.

Parrots can't answer that, though, as they've not been fed the answer.

"Another Unionist troll blocked. LOL" is the go to reply.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The real issue for me isn't just restrictions but the nature of the restrictions they have gone for. It's headline grabbing shite of the worst kind.

If they genuinely felt restrictions were required, if the virus is so infectious, then the first target should be schools.

But as we've seen over the past 20 months they just aren't prepared to tackle the elephant in the room.

Instead we have the pantomime of restrictions aimed squarely at hospitality and the leisure sector - that are either ineffective or completely unworkable.

And that's before we get to the whole issue of civil liberties.

You also need to consider their repeated claims of "schools are safe" here.

I don't think they have ever acknowledged they have gotten anything wrong. They aren't going to start here.

Seen an SNP fan girl on twitter this morning saying that Nicola has been proved right because the Scottish death toll is in low 5 figures whereas the English death toll is over 100,000. Absolutely no acknowledgement at all of the fact that England is a much bigger country. 

You also need to consider their repeated claims of "schools are safe" here.
I don't think they have ever acknowledged they have gotten anything wrong. They aren't going to start here.
Schools were never safe - it was a judgement if the risk of having them open was worth it or not.

With more infectious variants then clearly the case for keeping them open should have been harder to make - instead they've done anything but.

15 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Was in the Bookclub last night and they were table service which was fine actually. I wouldn't half mind that when it's good service like it was in there. 

Some pubs must make a killing out of table service. I've been in a few where a barmaid is over as soon as you've took your last sip. 

It also seems to take to longer to break the seal when constantly seated so that's a bonus. 

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Seen an SNP fan girl on twitter this morning saying that Nicola has been proved right because the Scottish death toll is in low 5 figures whereas the English death toll is over 100,000. Absolutely no acknowledgement at all of the fact that England is a much bigger country. 

Surely no-one is this thick.

15 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Is that the same evidence that the Scot Gov use?

They will have access but will ignore it as it doesn't suit their agenda.

We just don't know.

In a few weeks time they will have the audacity to claim the numbers were low due to their shite restrictions.

Laughable.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Guaranteed to be elected at next available opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Some pubs must make a killing out of table service. I've been in a few where a barmaid is over as soon as you've took your last sip. 

It also seems to take to longer to break the seal when constantly seated so that's a bonus. 

Aye the good ones can make a killing. Depends on the place. Bookclub adds a service charge as well though so they're definitely on to a winner. 

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Exactly.

"It's only [thing I don't care about]. We don't need that"

Is the worst argument out there, and completely avoids the real discussion about what is proportionate and / or effective.

That's been quite a popular refrain on here where Places of Worship have been concerned.

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

Because of the tory backbenchers 

He used Labour support to deal with backbencher rebellions on this in the past so it's not that simple. Lockdown restrictions should only ever be used in truly dire circumstances because of the damage they inflict on the economy and the issues they can cause on health in other areas, e.g. cancer diagnosis etc. After vaccination and with a milder and more transmissble variant now dominant we are at a tipping point on this issue. The situation we are facing now is very different from a year ago.

47 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

One of the most ridiculous sights of the restrictions era has been people masking up to order at the bar, inches away from unmasked drinkers on bar stools.

Christmas Day was the same. Needed a mask on when walking around but could dance on the dance floor without one yet when going to the toilet and having to walk across said dance floor put the mask on as soon as you get off the dancefloor as if the dancefloor formed some kind of barrier against Covid