Coronavirus (COVID-19)

25 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You mean if the current ruling party wasn't actively trying to privatise it, and if the country hadn't voted to send a large proportion of its staff "back to where they came from?"

Yeah, probably, but Jeremy Corbyn didn't sing the national anthem properly. And Boris is a laugh, eh?

Has anyone got any figures for how many NHS staff have "gone home"? Anecdotal , I know, but there were plenty of "foreigners"  on the staff when I was in, Poles, Italians, Indians, even from the RoI!, and they weren't all cleaners. Didn't see many Phillipinos, right enough, who I thought were a mainstay.

The NHS has been underfunded for a lot longer than when the current government came in, and it's saddled with these ludicrous PFI contracts

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

You entered in to the conversation, with a Starmer esque, im the adult in the room shtick and insinuated that in general terms, objection to restrictions goes hand in hand with being right wing.

You cant walk that back into some fence sitting nonsense just because some folk have called you on it.

You're right.

Aiming for anything approaching balance causes certain posters on P&B real difficulty.  Any inserted qualifications attached to observations are routinely ignored by those seemingly capable of dealing only with the absolute.

I've literally seen posting on here that sides explicitly with the despicable right wing Tories many of us recognise as such.  I'm not claiming that's universal but it exists and Granny was right to identify the link.

That you and others struggle with the existence of this dimension is not my difficulty.

The last time Aberdeen played Celtic I aligned myself with rangers fans as we all wanted Celtic to lose. 

That’s how vacuous that argument is and I find it astonishing that a discussion about the state placing restrictions on peoples lives would be framed in such a way. 

I presume anyone making that argument isn’t that thick so it’s just an argument made in extremely bad faith. 

Has anyone got any figures for how many NHS staff have "gone home"? Anecdotal , I know, but there were plenty of "foreigners"  on the staff when I was in, Poles, Italians, Indians, even from the RoI!, and they weren't all cleaners. Didn't see many Phillipinos, right enough, who I thought were a mainstay.
The NHS has been underfunded for a lot longer than when the current government came in, and it's saddled with these ludicrous PFI contracts

While the intent of yer Little Britons was undoubtedly to "send 'em back", and that has indeed been happening, the more worrying longer term effect is that the entry to the NHS, especially at the "lower end", has been made much more difficult, if not impossible for EU citizens to fill, so those who do "go home" for whatever reason won't be replaced from that Labour pool. Given the magnificent salaries paid, and the cost of (especially) nursing training in the UK, this situation will only worsen over time.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You're right.

Aiming for anything approaching balance causes certain posters on P&B real difficulty.  Any inserted qualifications attached to observations are routinely ignored by those seemingly capable of dealing only with the absolute.

I've literally seen posting on here that sides explicitly with the despicable right wing Tories many of us recognise as such.  I'm not claiming that's universal but it exists and Granny was right to identify the link.

That you and others struggle with the existence of this dimension is not my difficulty.

Again, it’s over simplistic, broad brush thinking.

A lot of people on the left will (consciously or not) shout for restrictions when it’s somebody else’s job/mental health at stake rather than their own. A more individualistic, Tory mindset you’ll struggle to find, yet it’s those against that sort of thinking that are the right wing, Tory bootlickers?

Artitudes towards the pandemic and restrictions have completely flipped people’s ideological identities.

Edited by anotherchance

54 minutes ago, ddfg said:

Can drive 30 miles to Wishaw because its in the same local authority but not 5 miles up the road to Banknock because its a different area. 

Can see family in a restaurant but not at home. 

Keep high risk areas open but shut sectors with almost zero cases. 

Shut the pubs but allow endless off sales. 

Shut gyms but allow fast food to stay open. 

Shut wee local shops as they are non essential but allow supermarkets to sell pretty much the same stuff. 

Vaccines are the way ouy of this. 

Vaccine passports are the way out of this. 

Paying for pre and post flight tests when travelling from a country with significantly lower case rates than Scotland. 

Selective governmental approval/disapproval of large public gatherings. 

Can meet family in their garden but you can't use their toilet. 

Just a few of my own issues with some of the nonsensical protections we have had enforced  on us.

The suggestion that disagreeing with the rules means you care less is nonsense. We just care about different things, i would argue that those clinging onto pointless restictions are being even more selfish with no regards to anything other than their illogical and ungrounded fears. 

Yes, thanks for listing some of the nonsensical contradictions and inconsistencies attached to regulations, because despite living here throughout, and having a job and a family and suchlike, I'd have had no idea about them without your timely intervention.

3 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Now we know where NS’s ‘protections’ shite comes from- straight from the mouth of independent sage

Sick pay is a 'protection'.

Society halting measures are 'restrictions' - and that's being generous.

These are sick people with ulterior motives and a fear of impending obscurity, back to whence they came. Sturgeon is clearly duped by their every word.

I despise them with visceral hatred.

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Now we know where NS’s ‘protections’ shite comes from- straight from the mouth of independent sage

Been a while since this particular fake sage bore was heard from. Deepti still in the huff?

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Sick pay is a 'protection'.

Society halting measures are 'restrictions' - and that's being generous.

These are sick people with ulterior motives and a fear of impending obscurity, back to whence they came. Sturgeon is clearly duped by their every word.

I despise them with visceral hatred.

Nicola Sturgeon outing herself as a complete patsy was genuinely not something I would have predicted if you had asked me in January 2020.

And yet here we are.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
10 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

Again, it’s over simplistic, broad brush thinking.

A lot of people on the left will (consciously or not) shout for restrictions when it’s somebody else’s job/mental health at stake rather than their own. A more individualistic, Tory mindset you’ll struggle to find, yet it’s those against that sort of thinking that are the right wing, Tory bootlickers?

Artitudes towards the pandemic and restrictions have completely flipped people’s ideological identities.

It's not completely flipped them, but it exposes interesting overlaps and conflicts.

Some of the fighting against restrictions on here has been framed as a quest for freedom.  Being anti authoritarian can of course be characterised as left wing; yet objecting to an interventionist state can equally look right wing.

That's not a problem in itself of course, but it is complex.  I'm not the one saying that how you view such matters dictates your stance on everything, but I'm being accused of it by those who wish to view matters in precisely such terms. 

It seems that by not wishing death on Granny, I've somehow irreversibly picked a side.

It's not completely flipped them, but it exposes interesting overlaps and conflicts.
Some of the fighting against restrictions on here has been framed as a quest for freedom.  Being anti authoritarian can of course be characterised as left wing; yet objecting to an interventionist state can equally look right wing.
That's not a problem in itself of course, but it is complex.  I'm not the one saying that how you view such matters dictates your stance on everything, but I'm being accused of it by those who wish to view matters in precisely such terms. 
It seems that by not wishing death on Granny, I've somehow irreversibly picked a side.
I've not seen anyone wish death on the old fool, just pointing out he's a hypocrite.

Just now, Empty It said:
3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've not seen anyone wish death on the old fool, just pointing out he's a hypocrite.

Elixir effectively did, just not long ago.

You must have missed it.