Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

New Year celebrations have not been cancelled.  Only the government run celebrations have been cancelled, everything else is happening and open for business.

Test and Go was a complete fail from the 1st day, how it's lasted so long nobody knows.

Slippery, I've got my Thai pass and so far all I have to do is my first day in a quarantine hotel and a free day 6/7 PCR test. As I got it last month they're honouring it, so no sandbox or 1 weeks detention, just got to hope the flight doesn't cancel due to lack of passengers. 

Flew into Poland yesterday and we were on the plane for over 30 mins before take off. 

Throughout the flight there was reminder announcements about mask wearing.  Not sure if was general announcements or because people were not following guidance but from what I could see they were

(Did it will the full Santa outfit again as went straight from airport to drop off gifts round her family).

Had the big meal yesterday Polish tradition) and were supposed to get more visitors today.  Some cancelled as turns out a relative took to bed yesterday as not well and she had been here two days ago.  Not sure if virus or Covid yet.

I caught Covid in October so assume I will not be at risk so quickly as it would be a bugger to test positive before I can even get on a plane home again.

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Slippery, I've got my Thai pass and so far all I have to do is my first day in a quarantine hotel and a free day 6/7 PCR test. As I got it last month they're honouring it, so no sandbox or 1 weeks detention, just got to hope the flight doesn't cancel due to lack of passengers. 

Have you got some paperwork to show the airport people this side? I had to argue for half an hour to get them to let me on a plane recently.

2 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Not want to pishe on yer chips, but are they not changing back to quarantine for all because of this new variant? 

Not want to pishe on yer chips, but are they not changing back to quarantine for all because of this new variant? 
Anyone who applied before they stopped Test and Go can still come under the same conditions, no matter when they arrive.

Only change is they have to take a 2nd PCR test after a few days at the government's expense.

4 minutes ago, Thai Bairn said:

Anyone who applied before they stopped Test and Go can still come under the same conditions, no matter when they arrive.

Only change is they have to take a 2nd PCR test after a few days at the government's expense.

I'd be making sure I had evidence of all that on paper or digital with me before trying to get on the plane. In Thai as well as English.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'd be making sure I had evidence of all that on paper or digital with me before trying to get on the plane. In Thai as well as English.

I've  got it printed out in triplicate and all presented in a plastic slip folder as it will surely impress the Thai sense of officialdom. Might even sellotape a passport sized photo to the front of it. 

I'm going mid January so not going to get to excited till I'm sat on the plane. Hoping by that time this variant is on the wane and governments are calming down about what seems to be a lesser threat.

46 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The relentless SAGE continue to drip feed the idea that our hospitals are about to be hit with a tsunami of cases.

Time for the NHS to be more transparent in separating the difference between people being admitted because of COVID-19 or they happen to have COVID-19 while being admitted, all included in the hospital figures. It would help to show how much pressure the NHS are under.

The according to Iain Duncan Smith ''The Government has dragged its feet over showing those figures, I suspect because they know what will happen – it will reduce the numbers that they have going into hospital with Covid – in other words who are ill and have to go to hospital because of Covid.’

So are the figures being deliberately lumped together to make Omicron seem worse than it is? Who would have guessed that wasn't going to happen?

'Even SAGE has now appeared to admit that even patients on mental health wards who test positive in hospital are added to the daily admissions tally. In minutes from the group’s most recent meeting, they said: ‘The number of people in hospital with Omicron infection continues to increase with a doubling time of around 4-5 days. Some of this increase is due to nosocomial transmission including in mental health hospitals.’ The modelling, made by experts from Warwick University looked at a package of measures, including some in line with the Step 2 restrictions in place in April in England. The Warwick research looked at imposing Step 2 restrictions on either December 28 or New Year's Day and keeping them in place until January 15, 28 or March 28.'

Is this going to be a matter of pride now for SAGE, damage limitation, trying to fudge the figures to be as close to their shan modelling of doom as possible? Now looking like scoring the consolation goal in a 6-1 gubbing with 5 minutes to go.

If England jumps we jump and one set of restrictions more severe, I don't see the UKG going for any more restrictions despite, 'much wailing and nashing of teeth', from our own restriction obsessed science advisors and the Indy-irrelevant SAGE RAGE.

We now have restrictions for restrictions sake rather than any real effort to slow down the virus spread otherwise we wouldn't have been allowed Christmas celebrations. I don't think there are many people left still buying it, a few screeching away online perhaps, there will be some hysterical posts on twitter and some grassing ups - no one who still retains a small amount of their sanity really gives a flying turkey anymore!. The SG will guaranteed lose the plot once the case numbers come out in the next couple of days. I hope none of them were posting their Christmas party photos online, that could be interesting. :lol:

The virus spreads too quick for any of those so called useful restrictions to make any real difference. Makes no sense to restrict hospitality and the entertainment sector when all of us have been mixing and visiting/ inviting guests round for Christmas dinner yesterday probably but likely spreading the virus. Anyone with a runny nose today?. Completely undoes the whole point of that recent splurge of restrictions here in Scotland.

Common sense please???

Yeah, with turkey sandwiches, cigars and popcorn.

You are absolutely correct and I fully agree with you.
Interesting thing is we’re relying on the IDS’s, Swaynes and Bakers of this world to hold this unTory government to account.

Labour and the SNP are just totally useless and can be discounted.

I can certainly tell you that if the UK government capitulates, real Tories like myself will ensure that Boris will be gone very quickly indeed.

6 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

I've  got it printed out in triplicate and all presented in a plastic slip folder as it will surely impress the Thai sense of officialdom. Might even sellotape a passport sized photo to the front of it. 

I'm going mid January so not going to get to excited till I'm sat on the plane. Hoping by that time this variant is on the wane and governments are calming down about what seems to be a lesser threat.

Head's up make sure you double check what your PCR results say. My da got stopped at the airport coming back from Thailand as the PCR he was sent back said he was showing "no symptoms" as opposed to a negative and it was only a quick phone call to get an updated set of test results that allowed him on the flight.

SAGE need restrictions to be imposed, otherwise they will be shown up (again) as the hysterical charlatans they are very soon. It's the same reason why the devolved diddy administrations will be desperate for the UK Government to do something.