Coronavirus (COVID-19)

23 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I see todays UKHSA report confirms that you’re 50-70% less likely to need hospitalisation with Omicron but that the vaccines start to wane after 10 weeks now.

That’ll be the straw that the government can clutch to to keep things shut til May.

Pfizer number 4 in March/April then. 

Feel sorry for anyone that got AZ or Moderna as their first jags - I'll be redeeming my loyalty card for the free pizza before them. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Pfizer number 4 in March/April then. 

Feel sorry for anyone that got AZ or Moderna as their first jags - I'll be redeeming my loyalty card for the free pizza before them. 

I'll be surprised if we don't fall into the established pattern of just dishing out boosters every autumn once we're through this winter and cases hit rock bottom over spring and summer.

34 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Protection from your booster starts to wane after 10 weeks. EEEEKKK!

Yep! priming the public for 4th round of vaccinations is incoming.

image.png.610e8e6245b854900621a7338086843a.png

The booster was only first rolled out in mid-September. 9 weeks ago!

Even with lab tests, there is surely far too small a sample size to declare this with any degree of certainty.

Edited by djchapsticks

I think that’s probably correct.
The SNP contains a lot of social conservatives but they turn a blind eye to the more authoritarian and big state aspects of the SNP because their main aim is independence. It’s actually quite understandable and you can see it articulated on here regularly. The SNP under Salmond was much more centrist than the present version. As an outsider looking in, that’s the impression I get.
Could you imagine Salmond abandoning oil and gas, going no nuclear, increasing taxes on the middle classes as just a few examples.
Unfortunately, he has lost almost all his support for obvious reasons.
Has the Politics Thread been closed ?

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Even with lab tests, there is surely far too small a sample size to declare this with any degree of certainty.

I downloaded a document from the government website a few months back which had boxes to record the date of 4 covid doses on it.

The absolute bullshit and goalpost shifting throughout it would not surprise me one bit if it was always planned to be a 4 dose vaccine, but they knew they would never get buy in from the public if they outright said that.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

The reason for all this is that we are ALL, absolutely without exception, selfish in our own way.

For the most part we are not bothered by most things which don't affect us.

That seems to be the way humans are wired up.

The issue for me is the hypocrisy of people who have a go at the selfishness of others, not realising they are just the same in their own way.

Covid has really brought out that unpleasant side of many people.

We see them on the forum. The "f**k the Tories" type who then want to introduce vaccine passports and blame unvaccinated people for our problems. They are everywhere.

Correct.

They use fairly light differences of opinion to condescend, misinterpret and to virtue signal.

Today’s example: Anybody who suggests there’s a link between going to football and positive mental health doesn’t care about the NHS or 150k people who’ve died.

I honestly think I’m generally pretty left wing with my views, so it infuriates me that those who purport to be of a similar mindset are so arrogant in their approach. The same people then scratch their heads and are amazed that Brexit and Tory governments happened, and that calling someone a thick c**t probably isn’t going to encourage them to get vaccinated.

35 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:
I think that’s probably correct.
The SNP contains a lot of social conservatives but they turn a blind eye to the more authoritarian and big state aspects of the SNP because their main aim is independence. It’s actually quite understandable and you can see it articulated on here regularly. The SNP under Salmond was much more centrist than the present version. As an outsider looking in, that’s the impression I get.
Could you imagine Salmond abandoning oil and gas, going no nuclear, increasing taxes on the middle classes as just a few examples.
Unfortunately, he has lost almost all his support for obvious reasons.

Has the Politics Thread been closed ?

Sorry.

Just responding but if this Covid business isn’t about politics, I don’t know what is.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

It's 14 weeks since mid September.

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

Correct.

They use fairly light differences of opinion to condescend, misinterpret and to virtue signal.

Today’s example: Anybody who suggests there’s a link between going to football and positive mental health doesn’t care about the NHS or 150k people who’ve died.

I honestly think I’m generally pretty left wing with my views, so it infuriates me that those who purport to be of a similar mindset are so arrogant in their approach. The same people then scratch their heads and are amazed that Brexit and Tory governments happened, and that calling someone a thick c**t probably isn’t going to encourage them to get vaccinated.

A big part of the SNP’s current problem, for me at least, is that other than independence they seem overly concerned with “middle Scotland”, which means working class interests, which football primarily is, are generally ignored at best, or in the case of the current issue, used to set an example.

Absilutely nailed on that any restrictions that are in place will be lifted a week or two before the rugby internationals start going early next year.

14 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Absilutely nailed on that any restrictions that are in place will be lifted a week or two before the rugby internationals start going early next year.

As much as that may be true, the big Edinburgh v Glasgow rugby games are also crowd free during Christmas / New Year as is the Dundee v Fife ice hockey.

I don’t believe it’s a witch hunt against football alone, it’s simply against anything regular folk take interest in or enjoyment from to try and make a point about reckless Tories.

Gloriously that tired line seems to have blown right up in their faces.

2 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Correct.

The one aspect of this that really gets on my tits is the suggestion that those who think the crowd restrictions are too strong a step are somehow happy for the NHS and the elderly to struggle.  Complete horseshit. 

I'll always be a backer of the NHS, but we make compromises on policy all the time.  I'm sure if we doubled spending on the NHS we could improve all sorts of outcomes, but that doesn't mean we do it because we recognise the tax hike (or reductions elsewhere) would cause comparable hardship.

Edited by O_Kahn