Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I was expecting hospital numbers to be above Friday's figures, so that's actually quite decent to see them remain below that. 

Tomorrow's death figures will be interesting. With the weekend backlog and a lot of cases over the last three weeks or so they should be higher than usual I'd imagine. But how much higher will be telling.

I also think now is a pivotal time to divide hospital numbers into hospitalised because of Covid, and hospitalised with Covid/picked it up in hospital. With so many people being tested, so many testing positive, and the easy spread within hospital settings it's vital that we know. If it spreads round one hospital then we could see the numbers spike massively - but closing a pub at 8pm isn't going to stop that.

I won't hold my breath on that particular point though...Given we've been promised it for months.

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Raab held down a respectable legal career. 

That seems impossible to square with what you see with Raab as a politician. You would think he'd be totally useless in the normal world of work, but there we are. 

I see your Raab the lawyer and raise you Richard Burgon, who can barely tie his shoelaces.

Rumours that England will be going back to Stage 2 lockdown restrictions from the 27th December.

What an absolute nonsense. If restrictions *are* needed, then waiting another seven days to implement them makes absolutely no sense from a health point of view. It's purely political so that they can't be accused of ruining Christmas.

Wait to you hear this! A family I know here took this way too far IMO. Tell me if you agree please.

So the fella goes to his works Christmas do where 16 staff members of the factory subsequently test positive. Upon hearing this news, he takes a test and it's negative. His doctor (why he asked him I don't know) said "ooh, you've taken the test too early and suggests he should isolate for five days. He goes to his mothers, his wife calls in sick as she isolates at home with their wee boy who stays off nursery. Five days later he takes a test again and it's negative! A family split for five days over hee haw.

Completely unfathomable for me. Was discussing this at home and I got a row from my wife for "being mean about it". What this is doing to people's actual sanity is off the scale. In our case, we have to test before we come to Scotland, test when we arrive and test before we return. The way things are going we'll probably be asked to test and isolate when we get back here. Watching BBC news and constantly seeing Leitchy, Nippy, Swinney and Javid saying "oooh, there could be more things to come" is giving me, who gets stressed about nothing, stress. All I want to do is see my family at Christmas. Goodness knows how hospitality business people must feel.

It's actually not funny anymore.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Rumours that England will be going back to Stage 2 lockdown restrictions from the 27th December.

What an absolute nonsense. If restrictions *are* needed, then waiting another seven days to implement them makes absolutely no sense from a health point of view. It's purely political so that they can't be accused of ruining Christmas.

Nor should they!

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

Nor should they!

You're missing my point.

*If* restrictions are required - which, let's be honest, it seems they are not - then they should be implemented ASAP. Not in seven days.

Just now, Gaz said:

You're missing my point.

*If* restrictions are required - which, let's be honest, it seems they are not - then they should be implemented ASAP. Not in seven days.

No, I took your point and I agree with you and the fact that restrictions are not required but putting them in over Christmas would have been out and out cruelty.

12 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I see your Raab the lawyer and raise you Richard Burgon, who can barely tie his shoelaces.

Another respectable legal career and a Cambridge graduate to boot. Raab went to both Oxford and Cambridge. 

The mind boggles. 

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

No, I took your point and I agree with you and the fact that restrictions are not required but putting them in over Christmas would have been out and out cruelty.

*If* the situation is bad enough that restrictions are required then leaving everything open for another 7 days will result in far worse circumstances than folk having to cancel Christmas dinner.

Weekly Cases Update:  3 Day lag to allow reporting to be accurate. 

The Tsunami in Northern Ireland mmmm where cases are down for the week to week I am reporting.  In Europe Belgium down 36%, Slovakia down 31%, Romania down 29%, Austria down 27%, Czech down 26%, Hungary down 26%, Netherlands down 22%, Germany, Sweden, Ukraine all down 20%. Wonder if they are still awaiting Omicron ? Only in good old Denmark does it look out of control the other way.

For Scotland we are fairing worst of the 4 nations albeit from a lower starting point. We are the highest rising nation in Europe currently.  I suspect the rises in Edinburgh & Glasgow in particular are what is spooking them the most.

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 11th to 17th December  were 23,752 to 36,353 Up 53.05%, Positivity was 9.4% now 11.7%.  Cases per 100K were 434.5 now 665.5

Home Nations Weekly Cases  per 100K update  :  UK Average  501.2 to 646.0 Up 28.90%, England 507.7 to 661.3 Up 30.25%, Wales 508.6 to 545.8 up 7.31%, Northern Ireland 663.0 to 661.2 down 0.27%

Cases in Europe in terms of of numbers per 100K  Denmark 1089 up 31%, Switzerland 681 down 8%, Ireland 658 up 12%, Czech 641 down 26%,   all over 600.  

Council progress in last week as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

West Lothian  591.3 to 998.3  Another near 70% on week.

East Renfrewshire 595.6 to 883.8 

City Of Edinburgh   409.2 to 873.5  Up over 113% in 1 week.

Renfrewshire   541.3 to 871.8  Up near 200% in 2 weeks.

South Lanarkshire  503.4 to 852.8

Midlothian  496.0 to 844.9

West Dunbartonshire  533.2 to 827.5

East Dunbartonshire  588.5 to 821.1

Falkirk  626.6 to 820.3  

North Ayrshire   520.7 to 797.0  

North Lanarkshire  494.8 to 768.9

East Ayrshire  653.8 to 731.1

East Lothian  485.6 to 715.5

Glasgow City 381.7 to 684.2  Up 80% on the week.

Clackmannanshire  438.7 to 668.7 

Stirling  442.2 to 658.0

South Ayrshire 449.4 to 625.1

Fife  447.2 to 589.1 

Argyll & Bute  325.4 to 570.1 

Moray  443.0 to 547.5 

Inverclyde  455.6 to 513.9

Perth & Kinross 385.8 to 496.3

Aberdeen City  354.9 to 430.5

Aberdeenshire  327.9 to 428.3 

Dundee City  266.1 to 422.7

Scottish  Borders  286.4 to 386.2

Orkney Islands   102.7 to 375.0 

Dumfries & Galloway  360.8 to 374.3  Down over the last fortnight.

Western Isles  437.7 to 366.0

Angus  279.7 to 344.5  

Shetland Islands  214.3 to 306.1  

Highlands   297.8 to 298.2  

Edited by superbigal

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

*If* the situation is bad enough that restrictions are required then leaving everything open for another 7 days will result in far worse circumstances than folk having to cancel Christmas dinner.

Like what? More positive cases? The more learned in this thread may be able to put figures to it but all I have heard is that symptoms are now drastically less than they were pre vaccine. I'm sure we can handle a few more thousand people with the cold.

Edited by jimbaxters

5 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Like what? More positive cases? The more learned in this thread may be able to put figures to it but all I have heard is that symptoms are now drastically less than they were pre vaccine. I'm sure we can handle a few more thousand people with the cold.

Yeah, I'm not sure you're getting my point. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough.

As has been said, it's utterly shambolic to introduce restrictions in a week's time.

Either the variant is so transmissible that we see hospitalisations at a level that would overwhelm our health system, notwithstanding its lesser virulence, in which case something needs to be done now, or it isn't.

In which case nothing needs to be done. This preoccupation of grown fucking adults with a religious holiday is laughable.

As has been said, it's utterly shambolic to introduce restrictions in a week's time.
Either the variant is so transmissible that we see hospitalisations at a level that would overwhelm our health system, notwithstanding its lesser virulence, in which case something needs to be done now, or it isn't.
In which case nothing needs to be done. This preoccupation of grown fucking adults with a religious holiday is laughable.
Aye. Its either an emergency or its not*. If you wait a wee then claim an emergency because a tsunami of death is on the way, AT LEAST the first week of those deaths are blood on their hands, having told us that it was coming then sat and done f**k all.

Cant have it both ways im afraid. Its this sort of shit that has their credibility in tatters.

*its not