Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I can't get my head around peoplle's attitude towards Christmas at all.

Delaying your booster so you don't feel a bit run down on this one day sounds like an insane decision.

Genuinely baffled by the logic behind some peoples decision-making.

Why?

The side effects can be horrible, so I don’t know why you would opt to feel horrible all day while cooking/drinking/entertaining/sorting the kids when you can just get it a couple of days later and lie on the couch all day if you feel rough. 

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

We've not been given the choice.

There isn't a party who are standing on that policy and hasn't been for as long as I can remember.

There isn’t a party that will stand on a policy of raising taxes.  They know they’ll get laughed at.

I seem to remember the lib dems had a policy a few years back of putting a penny on income tax to increase nhs funding.  They got nowhere.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I can't get my head around peoplle's attitude towards Christmas at all.

Delaying your booster so you don't feel a bit run down on this one day sounds like an insane decision.

Genuinely baffled by the logic behind some peoples decision-making.

I'm one of them.

My last jab (Moderna) left me spewing, shivering and with a thumping headache for a week. I ended up off work and barely left my flat.

Christmas last year was a bit of a non-event, and the year before I was floored with a virus and didn't manage any Christmas dinner. I'll see members of my family this year who I haven't seen since Christmas '19, and I'd rather not be stuck in my bed.

There is a thought that taking paracetamol before getting jabbed is supposed to reduce the side effects. Didn't work for me with my first and I had what felt like a hangover the day after, I didn't bother taking any before the second or booster and I was fine after those.

34 minutes ago, yoda said:

Going back to the hospitality stuff from several pages ago.

In the 2018 and 2019 festive period I did shifts in a relatively busy bar / restaurant. Most nights you needed at least 6 staff on (and usually you'd have eight people on) - every weekend in December and then every night in the week before Christmas was heaving. 

I was in on Friday for a couple of pints. It was dead. Apart from Christmas Eve they're estimating that they'll only need 3 staff a night. There's obviously an element of some people being cautious but the government "advice" has obviously had a huge impact.

At least last year you had furlough. You got your pay packet topped up a wee bit. This year... nothing. 

It’s interesting how venues seem to have been affected very differently.

Walked through the grass market earlier and you wouldn’t get a table most places. Lots of people eating and drinking indoors and outdoors.

Just been for a swim and the pool was absolutely heaving.

Meanwhile some places are empty.

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Said it to them earlier but what an odious tweet that is, essentially of the view that someone can never enjoy themselves again. 

Suspect that he failed to leave the customary tin of quality street.

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

I suspect that’s nowhere near enough to shut down the whole economy as some of it will go to the NHS as well.

Corret, Sturgeon whinging that it already includes the 120m already accounted for. Maybe she can give some to the businesses she and her cronies have fucked over with her stay at home rhetoric.

6 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Devolved governments given  double money (£860million) to take measures they see fit. Lockdown coming?

Given this works out an extra £220m for the SG over the advance they were offered earlier in the week, I don't think that's anywhere near enough for that.

Frankie's post a few days back showed how far £100m goes, and it was next to nowhere.

I don't think people have a very good idea of the money lockdown costs.

Just now, Tynie Heep said:

Corret, Sturgeon whinging that it already includes the 120m already accounted for. Maybe she can give some to the businesses she and her cronies have fucked over with her stay at home rhetoric.

Nah! That money to be squirrelled away for indie ref.

4 minutes ago, Tynie Heep said:

Pals NY plans are starting to crumble now. Venues cancelling ceilidhs because they can't plan accordingly with ever changing warnings/threats/drip feeding. Really is a sad state of affairs.