Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
47 minutes ago, Donathan said:
You realise when people talk about non-compliance, it’s almost exclusively referring to indoor household gatherings?

Ranging from anything from a cup of tea round mum’s house to full blown house parties. 

That's fair enough it's the only part of any lockdown that imparts a choice though. I'd be much angrier at not being allowed to attend football than limiting my household contacts but everyone has their own weighting of importance to such things. They know they have to allow a reasonable level of household mixing for that very reason ie folk would ignore it but no such option for areas of society ordered to close.

Jeepers, when you use such terms as ‘allowing a certain amount of mixing’ do you realise how authoritarian that sounds.

No way is a government of any stripe ALLOWING me to mix with anyone I want to.

Jeepers, when you use such terms as ‘allowing a certain amount of mixing’ do you realise how authoritarian that sounds.
No way is a government of any stripe ALLOWING me to mix with anyone I want to.

Your simply emphasising my point. In any "lockdown " we can choose to ignore household mixing rules but we can't go to venues forced to shut. That was my point.

For those who have had their booster; what’s the latest you have felt the effects? I got Covid on 21st Nov so can only get it from 21st this month but I might leave it to after Christmas if I’m likely to be still be floored on Christmas Day.

Just now, smpar said:

For those who have had their booster; what’s the latest you have felt the effects? I got Covid on 21st Nov so can only get it from 21st this month but I might leave it to after Christmas if I’m likely to be still be floored on Christmas Day.

I had absolutely zero side effects from the booster or either of the other 2 vaccines. Don’t worry about side effects, just get your jag. The likelihood of side effects is very small.

I had absolutely zero side effects from the booster or either of the other 2 vaccines. Don’t worry about side effects, just get your jag. The likelihood of side effects is very small.

My partner was fine after both of hers but I was floored on my first dose.

I’m happy to go and get my booster as soon as I’m available to but she’s just not wanting to be knackered on Christmas Eve/day when we’re with family.

5 minutes ago, smpar said:

My partner was fine after both of hers but I was floored on my first dose.

I’m happy to go and get my booster as soon as I’m available to but she’s just not wanting to be knackered on Christmas Eve/day when we’re with family.

I'd wait till after if it was me, it doesn't start working for a couple of weeks anyway. It seems totally random who gets floored by it, I felt nothing after all three.

Going back to the hospitality stuff from several pages ago.

In the 2018 and 2019 festive period I did shifts in a relatively busy bar / restaurant. Most nights you needed at least 6 staff on (and usually you'd have eight people on) - every weekend in December and then every night in the week before Christmas was heaving. 

I was in on Friday for a couple of pints. It was dead. Apart from Christmas Eve they're estimating that they'll only need 3 staff a night. There's obviously an element of some people being cautious but the government "advice" has obviously had a huge impact.

At least last year you had furlough. You got your pay packet topped up a wee bit. This year... nothing. 

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

All newspapers in the UK are going to have a wraparound front and back page tomorrow, encouraging people to get vaccinated.

Surely the demographic that still buy newspapers is already highly vaccinated?

Had no ill effects (other than the seemingly standard 'bruised' feeling on the upper arm) from my first 2 Pfizer jags.

Got a Moderna booster on Thursday night and felt quite 'flu-ey' plus a bit nauseus on Friday.

Brand new again yesterday.

Fairly big queue in Colinton today, decided to give it a miss and try a drop in earlier tomorrow.  Figured most folk are still working tomorrow so it might be quieter.  I had no reaction whatsoever to my first two, not even a sore arm.  Hopefully same again this time.  

Edited by super_carson

15 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The more infectious a virus is the less chance of it being around for very long and it will quickly run out of people to infect. Omicron should burn out very quickly not infecting huge numbers of people in April and May as the models suggest.

I predict a peak in the second week of January and high throughout that month before collapsing rapidly in early February and almost completely gone by the start of March. But then that could be pessimistic, could be gone by end of January.

I don't think it's going to be one of those waves that will plateau for a period. Based on the curve in SA I think it will peak in London this week (and the rest of the UK before the new year) then fall off a cliff leaving experts "baffled," "taken by surprise" and "unable to explain" the wave shape.

Right. Leitch has just said, in his first sentence on The Sunday Show, that this "new variant didn't exist 3 weeks ago". What in gods fucking f**k is going on. 
Given the report I heard yesterday states that Omicron has been detected in something like 87 countries, he is a lying c**t. Like Delta, this will have been spreading far and wide long before it was labelled as a new variant.

31 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The more infectious a virus is the less chance of it being around for very long and it will quickly run out of people to infect. Omicron should burn out very quickly not infecting huge numbers of people in April and May as the models suggest.

I predict a peak in the second week of January and high throughout that month before collapsing rapidly in early February and almost completely gone by the start of March. But then that could be pessimistic, could be gone by end of January.

There will be another variant along by then...

I got my booster on Friday and have been fine, but that's not to say you would he the same.