Coronavirus (COVID-19)

33 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Thorongil said:
The Coronavirus fans keep reframing stuff and making stuff up. They don’t like that this pandemic is coming to an end. Scared of the drama tap being turned off.

To be honest the reaction to this new strain has reinforced my opinion we are a long way from the end yet. I thought the reaction to the summer "exit wave" (ironic now) was proof we were heading towards an end but this has set us back a long way from that unfortunately.

I'm not sure. Public support for lockdowns appears to have evaporated - even the always fiercely in favour YouGov polls no longer support them - and the emergence, rapid spread (and subsequent downturn) of a completely shan "cold" variant might actually speed that process up.

The models now are so ludicrous that no-one takes them seriously either. Producing scenarios that show "everyone will get it within about 4 weeks" is not the argument for tight restrictions these weirdos think it is.

Backbench rebellion at not learning to live with it, a lot more acknowledgement of how shite the models are, and the revelation that good outcome scenarios are never modelled or considered also shows that people are fed up with government interference in people's lives for very little, if any, gain.

There's also the factor (and most will not admit this) that, far from a desire to protect others, people were happy for restrictions because they were scared for their own health. 2 years (and 3 jags) later, that fear has gone.

Many people feel like they have done all that could reasonably be asked of them, and that it's now up to Governments to fix the root cause of any issues - the neglected health service, and let them get on with their lives.

Edited by Todd_is_God

30,000 cases a day in a country of roughly 1.8 million people.

Honestly, who comes up with these numbers? It's like they mash a calculator with the palm of their hand and just see what comes out.
It seems fairly obvious that we are being lied to or at least misled. The media becoming just a smidge less docile seems to have the politicians rattled to f**k.

Why though?

7 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

30,000 cases a day in a country of roughly 1.8 million people.

Honestly, who comes up with these numbers? It's like they mash a calculator with the palm of their hand and just see what comes out.

Aye I know, it's ludicrous.

I'm not sure. Public support for lockdowns appears to have evaporated - even the always fiercely in favour YouGov polls no longer support them - and the emergence, rapid spread (and subsequent downturn) of a completely shan "cold" variant might actually speed that process up.
The models now are so ludicrous that no-one takes them seriously either. Producing scenarios that show "everyone will get it within about 4 weeks" is not the argument for tight restrictions these weirdos think it is.
Backbench rebellion at not learning to live with it, a lot more acknowledgement of how shite the models are, and the revelation that good outcome scenarios are never modelled or considered also shows that people are fed up with government interference in people's lives for very little, if any, gain.
There's also the factor (and most will not admit this) that, far from a desire to protect others, people were happy for restrictions because they were scared for their own health. 2 years (and 3 jags) later, that fear has gone.
Many people feel like they have done all that could reasonably be asked of them, and that it's now up to Governments to fix the root cause of any issues - the neglected health service, and let them get on with their lives.
I don't think non public support is going to prevent a lockdown given the rhetoric and once places are forced to close it's no longer an option to follow it or not. Once a pub / shop / cafe / stadium / cinema etc is shut, it's shut and not available to us whether we like it or not.

On 17/12/2021 at 17:52, TheScarf said:

Most busy places will take in 7k of sales in one day. Brutal numbers. 

Yeah, we’re 20k a week down on our normal figures for December, and we’re just one outlet. And that’s just going to get worse as all private functions, gigs and parties are cancelled for the next few weeks.

Having absolutely torched the sector, Scot Gov are now scrabbling around trying to get funds from Westminster to repair the damage. If this variant does turn out to be as mild as the data from South Africa suggests, and peaks quickly, then this will all have been a monumental over-reaction, but I get the feeling this is going to keep happening for some time, every time a new variant rears its head.

Operating a business in the hospitality sector really isn’t worth the stress any more - you know you’ll be singled out, scapegoated and restricted with every successive new variant scare. It’s impossible to plan for the future - we‘d just assembled a new team after months of severe staffing shortages, only for business to be decimated by the government and their agencies telling people to avoid hospitality. I don’t know anyone in the industry that isn’t completely demoralised now.

Edited by Frankie S

I'm pretty sure the 119 service isn't available in Scotland
are you looking for the fire brigade in South Korea  ? because you've more chance getting them to respond  because 119 is for England, Wales & Norn Ireland
119 is definitely available in Scotland, I had to call them yesterday. Wasn't much help right enough as the nearest availability appointment they had was Kirkcaldy.

49 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't think non public support is going to prevent a lockdown given the rhetoric and once places are forced to close it's no longer an option to follow it or not. Once a pub / shop / cafe / stadium / cinema etc is shut, it's shut and not available to us whether we like it or not.

You realise when people talk about non-compliance, it’s almost exclusively referring to indoor household gatherings?

Ranging from anything from a cup of tea round mum’s house to full blown house parties. 

You realise when people talk about non-compliance, it’s almost exclusively referring to indoor household gatherings?

Ranging from anything from a cup of tea round mum’s house to full blown house parties. 
That's fair enough it's the only part of any lockdown that imparts a choice though. I'd be much angrier at not being allowed to attend football than limiting my household contacts but everyone has their own weighting of importance to such things. They know they have to allow a reasonable level of household mixing for that very reason ie folk would ignore it but no such option for areas of society ordered to close.