Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I thought she said 4336. But aye, about that. 10.1 percent.

Apparently a data issue because of the number of tests being processed.

Hospital numbers down by 10 and seven deaths.

All the numbers looking absolutely fine. That seems like a low death total too, but I can't say I pay much attention to the daily figures.

So, what? Thats not the full figures then?

Just now, renton said:

So, what? Thats not the full figures then?

I think there is a backlog of tests to be processed. So I'm guessing cases will be up slightly, but positivity should be around the same. Unless they are from an area that is riddled.

Absolute fuckwit.

"Omicron has now overtaken Delta as the dominant strain. Though less severe it's more transmittable"

Absolute stick on if it was the other way around they'd be using that as an excuse as well.

Fucking arseholes.

Just another “be fucking careful eh” instead of bringing in more restrictions by the sounds of it, thankfully.

Aye, Wales have shit the bed, we’re lying in bed trying to figure out if it’s a fart or not.

40 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

anti vax from someone double jagged with AZ and already has had a Pfizer booster ?

AZ was always the Aldi of Covid vaccines

I was double jabbed by AZ and caught Covid. My symptoms were negligable compared to my two mates of similar age and fitness. They both caught it pre-vaccine and ended in hospital.  So even by my small non scientific study you're talking shite.

2 hours ago, Adamski said:

As I've alluded to before on this thread, I'm a scientist working on infectious diseases, and although Covid isn't really my specialty, it's something I've become increasingly involved in over the past year or so - particularly in terms of what is happening with it in Africa.

Anyway, on the back of all that I have a model that predicts how many cases will be reported in Scotland each day. It sometimes fails, but it's usually not too bad. The most reported in Scotland in one day since this all began was 7,113. Today the model is predicting 8,868. Obviously that goes without any predictors of how it translates to hospitalisation and death.

Fingers crossed it's out on the low side, and feel free to shoot me and it down in a few hours if so!

^^^ Neil Ferguson

I remember the pool at the Galleon Centre in Killie had a wave machine that was turned on for 10m or so at the end if each session. The warning was a flashing red light about a minute before the wave started.

Again today numbers down but still using tidal wave and tsunami metaphors. Well I'm back to being 10yo at the Galleon and the red light keeps flashing but where's the fucking wave !!!

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Will it? When the opposition parties were calling for the same, when the public health bodies were arguably even more pessimistic, when the UK Government and UK opposition tone was the same?

Not to mention they will point to increased booster rates as a positive intervention that kept hospitalisations low.

Not condoning or condemning here, but it's difficult to see much lasting damage to a government for being overly cautious in the face of this disease, particularly when there is no opposition to their plans, and the past context of government interventions in March 2020 that were too late.

I think they are going to struggle after this, if it does turn out to be less severe to the point where its a damp squib. The anxiety caused, the messaging, the financial impact..... There are papers, even if they are gammon rags, getting stuck into Whitty down South. The tide will turn at some point. A massive overreaction causing fear and panic in a hugely vaccinated population seems like a sensible point where that might happen. It will all be about whether the media break from the panic and start questioning the response, citing the SA data etc. I personally think you will start to see thta happening soon.