Coronavirus (COVID-19)

For a lot of these types of people, covid has produced their "World War 2" moment that has given their miserable lives some meaning and left them with stories of their heroism to hand down to their future grandkiddies.
It's been an absolute godsend for our army of wee mini-Hitler's.
Watching these people get their hands on some power has been very difficult because I can normally just ignore them.

I think the most desperate and despicable example of this was on the news last year. Two brothers sat distanced from their Mum in a Crematorium Chapel down south somewhere, as they said their final goodbyes to their Father. The Mum sat directly in front of the Old Boy’s Coffin as the service began. One the brothers spontaneously moved his chair over to console his distraught Mother the other brother then did the same. This sombre upsetting occasion was then abruptly interrupted by a crematorium steward who waded to the front and ordered them to move their chairs back to their original position. He actually took it upon himself to deny them a simple, heartfelt and natural moment of human kindness with ‘You were told about not doing this!!’
The brothers meekly returned to their original seating positions suitably chastised. I still can’t believe someone would be so cruelly insensitive just because they were in charge of the rule book. Just f*ckin awful.

As a slight aside, and not really anything to do with COVID, but the “kids don’t do anything in the last week anyway” argument is a bit chicken and egg, especially at secondary school. I have classes that have a course to get through before May, and can I’ll-afford to throw away three teaching periods to let them watch films, but when more than half the class are kept off, there’s no point in teaching the rest of them, as I’d just need to re-teach it when the rest of the class are in.

I understand that primary is different but I’d rather have my classes working up until Wednesday, but as attendance is lower than 50% there’s no point, so then you’re sticking a film on and this reinforces the “they don’t do anything in the last week anyway” shouts.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

As a slight aside, and not really anything to do with COVID, but the “kids don’t do anything in the last week anyway” argument is a bit chicken and egg, especially at secondary school. I have classes that have a course to get through before May, and can I’ll-afford to throw away three teaching periods to let them watch films, but when more than half the class are kept off, there’s no point in teaching the rest of them, as I’d just need to re-teach it when the rest of the class are in.

I understand that primary is different but I’d rather have my classes working up until Wednesday, but as attendance is lower than 50% there’s no point, so then you’re sticking a film on and this reinforces the “they don’t do anything in the last week anyway” shouts.

True enough. My son is in 5th year at secondary and he's still working and has a test today. My daughter is in primary 7 and is watching a movie and having a party today. 

7 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I think the most desperate and despicable example of this was on the news last year. Two brothers sat distanced from their Mum in a Crematorium Chapel down south somewhere, as they said their final goodbyes to their Father. The Mum sat directly in front of the Old Boy’s Coffin as the service began. One the brothers moved his chair over to console his distraught Mother the other brother then did the same. This sombre upsetting occasion was then abruptly interrupted by a crematorium steward who waded to the front and ordered them to move their chairs back to their original position. He actually took it upon himself to deny them a simple, heartfelt and natural moment of human kindness with ‘You were told about not doing this!!’
The brothers meekly returned to their original seating positions suitably chastised. I still can’t believe someone would be so cruelly insensitive just because they were in charge of the rule book. Just f*ckin awful.

we used to call them jobsworth

22 minutes ago, 101 said:

I've seen couples that share email addresses but yeh this is different level.

That is of course either of them actually exist. I suspect they might be anti cyclists.

I know David & Anna quite well IRL and actually encouraged them to sign up to The Forum. A joint account just made more sense as only David has an email address. You’ll need to ask them on their views on cyclists, it’s not something we’ve discussed in the past.

15 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
16 minutes ago, Rugster said:
Sturgeon doing a briefing at 12.15. 

Jesus suffering f**k. There'll be an omnibus on Sunday at this rate.

docusoap in the making. Being Nicola, a behind the scenes look at the First Minister at work and home.

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I'm not letting go of this - why aren't the UkG not releasing details about that person who died with Omicron.

I could help calm fears on this variant if people knew more.

What are we up to now with people in hospital because of Omicron?

Someone phoned up LBC claiming to be the man’s nephew, saying he was an anti-vaxxer in his late 70s.

Whether that’s the case or not I have no idea, but would certainly explain why the government haven’t been rushing to share more information.

27 minutes ago, Adamski said:

As I've alluded to before on this thread, I'm a scientist working on infectious diseases, and although Covid isn't really my specialty, it's something I've become increasingly involved in over the past year or so - particularly in terms of what is happening with it in Africa.

Anyway, on the back of all that I have a model that predicts how many cases will be reported in Scotland each day. It sometimes fails, but it's usually not too bad. The most reported in Scotland in one day since this all began was 7,113. Today the model is predicting 8,868. Obviously that goes without any predictors of how it translates to hospitalisation and death.

Fingers crossed it's out on the low side, and feel free to shoot me and it down in a few hours if so!

SophisticatedCompassionateIberiannase-ma

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Someone phoned up LBC claiming to be the man’s nephew, saying he was an anti-vaxxer in his late 70s.

Whether that’s the case or not I have no idea, but would certainly explain why the government haven’t been rushing to share more information.

Imo the fact they haven't shared any information says more about the deceased than anything else.

If it had been a vaccinated, marathon running 27-year-old with no underlying conditions you can guarantee it would've been everywhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-59685864

However Wales is the first UK nation to close a business sector in response to the Omicron wave.

The Night Time Industries Association said it was "angry and frustrated" they had been singled out for closure and claimed there was a lack of evidence to show transmission of the virus was higher in nightspots.

"The industry [is] astounded by the decision," said chief executive Mike Kill.

Unfortunate name for the head of the Night Time Industries Association.

12 hours ago, pub car king said:

Get the vaccine and the booster because it is medically proven to kick the shite out of this virus to the point it'll be little more than a cold so long as you are not 

1. Old as f**k with existing health conditions. 

2. Fat as f**k with health problems. 

But hang on a minute folks  we'll just shut down sector's of business as and when we feel like it because the Helen Lovejoys "just don't know". 

But we'll only shut down hospitality which is predominantly used by young, healthy and vaccinated people. 

Next it will be the football is too dangerous, because standing outside watching Cowdenbeath against Stenhousemuir will bring about the end of times. 

Maybe that's not the best example...

The thing that I think has annoyed me above all over this whole pandemic is the fact she announces that there is going to be a briefing.

Why not just come out with it straight away? These are the rules, this is when it takes effect.

Instead of fucking acting like it’s an episode of I’m a fucking celebrity keeping us all in suspense. 

Does she have any idea, or for that matter, give a toss what that does to peoples’ anxiety levels?

If she really hates this as much as everyone else and wants this to be over as much as we do then why does she act all Dermot fucking O’Leary about it?

It is sooo sick and twisted.

Walked into a Scotmid there,and low and behold the papers are back into full on tonto screaming mode ......

The Mail screaming out how the Queen has cancelled her Christmas party and is leading by example......holy fook, what an island we live on  :rolleyes:

The Record screaming out,how the FM is planning near on Lockdown once more !!!!

But to be honest though pissing and crying about it on here dosnt work,or push button's.......,maybe time to take to the streets eh ?

It's the only way,hiding behind keyboards and curtains isnt cutting it ??

Edited by Whitburn Vale

The thing that I think has annoyed me above all over this whole pandemic is the fact she announces that there is going to be a briefing.
Why not just come out with it straight away? These are the rules, this is when it takes effect.
Instead of fucking acting like it’s an episode of I’m a fucking celebrity keeping us all in suspense. 
Does she have any idea, or for that matter, give a toss what that does to peoples’ anxiety levels?
If she really hates this as much as everyone else and wants this to be over as much as we do then why does she act all Dermot fucking O’Leary about it?
It is sooo sick and twisted.

To an extent I agree. If they said we’re doing a briefing at 12:15 to discuss x y and z but the main points are A B & C.

We’re an hour off and no sign of leaks from journalists yet, so I presume it’s just going to be a reiteration of Tuesdays decisions and another plea for funding.