Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

What is everyone expecting in tomorrow’s update? 

Probably a veiled threat about restrictions at Christmas unless we behave. Something about the new variant being an increasing threat. Lots of stuff about ‘winter is the most dangerous time…stick with it Scotland…. Maybe a direct address to the nation from John Swinney, who will stare at us directly down the camera lens and shout ‘You! You behind the bike sheds. Stand still laddie!’. That sort of thing.

Hoping for yet more first class leadership, a steady, resolute but compassionate hand to guide the nation through these troubling times with an approach which demonstrates not just an intuitive grasp of the myriad issues at play but which shows that she really understands her people and cares deeply for them. I doubt I will be disappointed and we'll see, to the consternation of some, precisely why she was returned to office in such resounding fashion, on a veritable tsunami of support and dare I say it love from the electorate mere months ago. Gawd bless her. 

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

You won't chase me off the forum as you try to do with others just because I don't clap like a seal every time you post something fucking ridiculous. Sorry chum(p).

Fine - you can stick around as the thread fool.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

The Sky clowns certainly have previous.

1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I’ve been pretty anti restrictions all the way through, but you’d have to be pretty irresponsible going out to something knowing you had it.
I might stretch to going out for a wee walk if i had it but certainly not out on the lash

This does raise an interesting issue, though. I believe the UK Government were planning on binning the requirement to isolate even if positive from the end of March. When do we truly start treating covid like any other respiratory illness? If you're well enough you can go about your business, obviously while trying not to infect others.

I've mentioned this before as an example, but if you had mild symptoms and your team were in a cup final, would you miss it? Absolutely no chance.

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hoping for yet more first class leadership, a steady, resolute but compassionate hand to guide the nation through these troubling times with an approach which demonstrates not just an intuitive grasp of the myriad issues at play but which shows that she really understands her people and cares deeply for them. I doubt I will be disappointed and we'll see, to the consternation of some, precisely why she was returned to office in such resounding fashion, on a veritable tsunami of support and dare I say it love from the electorate mere months ago. Gawd bless her. 

*Look at me*

14 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Does P&B not have to flag party political broadcasts?

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I've mentioned this before as an example, but if you had mild symptoms and your team were in a cup final, would you miss it? Absolutely no chance.

If you know that you are positive and symptomatic and you go to a public event like a cup final you are either an idiot or a c**t. And people, especially you I think, get all arsey about being spoken down to, not being trusted to do the right thing and use their common sense. 

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

If you know that you are positive and symptomatic and you go to a public event like a cup final you are either an idiot or a c**t. And people, especially you I think, get all arsey about being spoken down to, not being trusted to do the right thing and use their common sense. 

By going to the match the only people you could be seriously harming is unvaccinated people. And they've been given ample opportunity to get the vaccine. 

We will get to the stage where the cost of LFTs will be too high to justify anyway. They are already costing a fortune. 

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

By going to the match the only people you could be seriously harming is unvaccinated people. And they've been given ample opportunity to get the vaccine. 

We will get to the stage where the cost of LFTs will be too high to justify anyway. They are already costing a fortune. 

I almost take your point but is the bar now set at "not seriously harming people" is bad but just harming would be ok? Even fully jagged up you don't want this virus and it's not on to be taking that risk with other people's health.  Also some people can't take the vaccine, others can but are still at an increased risk of serious illness despite getting good effect from the vaccine. 

No. This is what we need rules and restrictions for. If you test positive before a final then that's fucking rotten luck, but also just tough.

If 1 in 3 people don't know they have it - as specified on various media adverts - would this not show up on the testing stats, which are typically less than 10% positivity - especially when a decent percentage of those getting tests are symptomatic or close contacts. Maybe that's not what they are meaning. 🤷. Who knows. 

37 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

You can be positive, symptomatic or asymptomatic and double jabbed and spread the virus. Vaccine passports don't seem overly effective anyway. Maybe you could have very mild symptoms and don't take a test - not sure I would TBH. You can be asymptomatic with or without vaccination. Unlikely going to take a test without symptoms. I agree about if you know you have the virus. Just stay at home. The virus is never going away now so what do we do? Get vaccinated and allow the population to make their own informed choices seems sensible now 🤷. But I've had a few Ts 🍺

34 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I almost take your point but is the bar now set at "not seriously harming people" is bad but just harming would be ok? Even fully jagged up you don't want this virus and it's not on to be taking that risk with other people's health.  Also some people can't take the vaccine, others can but are still at an increased risk of serious illness despite getting good effect from the vaccine. 

No. This is what we need rules and restrictions for. If you test positive before a final then that's fucking rotten luck, but also just tough.

So you support restrictions for ever more then?  You know, just in case someone inadvertently infects someone who can’t be vaccinated.  That cohort will always be there.

Where’s your endpoint when pre-pandemic life returns?  What’s the trigger or threshold?

29 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Its easy to lose sight of this but COVID was a problem because it essentially had the potential to overwhelm hospitals. It was presented as such to the public. 'We need to have lockdowns or the NHS will not function' was the message. The goalposts have now shifted to 'We need to have restrictions to stop people getting a nasty cough'. This needs to stop. 

6 hours ago, Left Back said:

So you support restrictions for ever more then?  You know, just in case someone inadvertently infects someone who can’t be vaccinated.  That cohort will always be there.

Where’s your endpoint when pre-pandemic life returns?  What’s the trigger or threshold?

6 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Its easy to lose sight of this but COVID was a problem because it essentially had the potential to overwhelm hospitals. It was presented as such to the public. 'We need to have lockdowns or the NHS will not function' was the message. The goalposts have now shifted to 'We need to have restrictions to stop people getting a nasty cough'. This needs to stop. 

What lockdown? Not going to a public event when you're snotting and sneezing on others is not a lockdown. 

If folk want to know when we can go back to the good old days when you would go to work, the office, the train, the cinema, the bus, the football and sweat and hack and cough everywhere i hope the answer is never. I doubt that will need need restrictions in the medium term but it will just become unacceptable.