Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Summit should have happened. Restrictions shouldn’t be being considered now. Life should be normal.

Disagree for a variety of reasons some of which aren’t covid related. But nonetheless id stick the farm on that variant coming from cop. But its ok though Nicola got to give AOC a can of irn bru for some top quality bants and that. 

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it turns out to be less severe than Delta we should be offering Joburgers discounted holidays in Scotland. In the meantime I don't see the problem with mild precautions in case it isn't, to give more time to adjust the vaccines.

Same again for the next variant every six months forevermore?

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Mental not to have a 4 nations call to discuss it, is Boris a indy sleeper cell?

Did you not hear? Independence ain't happening until the 'crisis' is over.

So never, then.

18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Only, tbf, if we don't hit the panic button if cases rise.

If it is less severe, then we can almost ignore cases. We could be looking at, essentially, a bad cold. Will be interesting to see what the reaction is if it really is highly transmissible, but mild.

A real crossroads for our politicians this, tbh. They would do well to remember this isn't March 2020 IMO.

The frenzy over the last few days helps no-one. If it turns out to be heehaw, then they look ridiculous, and have limited credibility should an actual issue crop up down the road.

I don't think the current media frenzy, caveated with "we don't actually know yet tbh" or not, is helpful to anyone.

The media is a shambles today, I mean we already knew that but fucking hell man..... Reading papers talking about "vaccine dodging varient" etc. How can they be allowed to print that shit

26 minutes ago, Elixir said:

So it's already here and spreading in the community - obviously - so she mewls about life wrecking and pointless travel restrictions again, among other things.

She is absolutely vile.

Do you possess a dictionary, or do you adopt the Humpty Dumpty approach to the meaning of words?

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

I can understand peoples' disappointment, and even anger, at the implementation and continuation of restrictions to their lives, but this is idiotic.   

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

we should be offering Joburgers discounted holidays in Scotland

f**k that. When I holidayed in SA, everyone we met from Joburg was a Grade A c**t. One of them tried to extol the virtues of a visit there with the line "It's a bit like Paris, except you can't go out alone and should stay home between 6pm and 8am."

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Disagree for a variety of reasons some of which aren’t covid related. But nonetheless id stick the farm on that variant coming from cop. But its ok though Nicola got to give AOC a can of irn bru for some top quality bants and that. 

Surely that would've been picked up by testing at COP? If the LFT was positive there would be a follow up PCR, no? 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The media is a shambles today, I mean we already knew that but fucking hell man..... Reading papers talking about "vaccine dodging varient" etc. How can they be allowed to print that shit

And at the same time, we have Johnson asking the JCVI to look again at the booster recommendation (read: telling them to revise the advice) so more people can get one. They read the papers and see those headlines, which will definitely get them on board. 

Fear sells, sadly. 

3 hours ago, Meldrew said:

i think you need to look up ''anti social'' in the dictionary

Then, look up selfish.

Yeah: we can safely conclude that covering our beaks in cloth rags until the end of time is not normal human behaviour. You could almost say expecting people to comply with such a thing is 'selfish'.

You utter bell-end.

8 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Do you possess a dictionary, or do you adopt the Humpty Dumpty approach to the meaning of words?

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

I can understand peoples' disappointment, and even anger, at the implementation and continuation of restrictions to their lives, but this is idiotic.   

She is toying with people's lives, yet again.

She is vile.

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Surely that would've been picked up by testing at COP? If the LFT was positive there would be a follow up PCR, no? 

They wouldn't necessarily have sequenced them, but you'd have thought it would be more widespread by now if it had started back then.

10 minutes ago, Michael W said:

And at the same time, we have Johnson asking the JCVI to look again at the booster recommendation (read: telling them to revise the advice) so more people can get one. They read the papers and see those headlines, which will definitely get them on board. 

Fear sells, sadly. 

Depends on the incubation period, you’d need to look at who tests positive after the event to get an accurate picture of transmission, something they’ve so far not given us much info on.

Also look im not mad keen on all the restrictions, but from observation at cop there wasn’t much adherence to the restrictions which were in place, all for the cameras, which angers me because its a bit do as i say and two tier. Wanting to restrict travel after all her pals got to Scotland and she got her pictures (and achieved nothing). 

3 minutes ago, Snafu said:

All adults under 70 to pay for their own vaccinations or cannot participate in society.

Pharma companies need to look after their shareholders and max out profits every year.

Aye, pharma companies are the bad guys in all this. Those nasty companies, creating medicines and preventative medicines. Just doing it for the money when they should be doing it and paying for it with the currency of positive vibes. 🙄 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They wouldn't necessarily have sequenced them, but you'd have thought it would be more widespread by now if it had started back then.

I might be being too nice to them, but I'd have thought that sequencing the samples would be obvious given the event was higher risk given delegates attended from all over the world. 

Saying that, I don't believe I've seen anything indicating how many positive tests were identified at COP. 

Just now, ddfg said:

Presently in Florida, shops all have signs asking people to mask up which are ignored by about 95%, no mask required walking from the door to your table in a bar or resturant, no testing of healthy people just for the sake of it, no media frenzy about health provision or variants, no covid passports required to get into NFL, no track and trace or whatever its called and no governmental reminders to wash your hands. 

Assuming we are actually allowed back I am looking forward to returning to Scotland next week to prime Pantomime season. 

Enjoy yourself! Freddy’s at the I drive south outlets does some fantastic burgers. Meant to be going in January but dont think theres much chance now.

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If it turns out to be less severe than Delta we should be offering Joburgers discounted holidays in Scotland. In the meantime I don't see the problem with mild precautions in case it isn't, to give more time to adjust the vaccines.

mild precautions?  From Johnson maybe.  Sturgeon is hitting the panic button basically wanting to kill the travel industry (again).  Full on wfh again which will hit loads of service businesses and she wants the treasury to get the cheque book out again.  Thats hardly mild.

Having a look on the likes of Glasgow Live is always “top banter” when it comes to covid. People calling for a lockdown, do these people not know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Same with the face mask brigade, do they not know that most of the masks people wear say on the packaging that they’re basically ineffective in preventing the spread of covid

we all know they’ll be a booster/jab in a couple of months for the moronic variant, where does the madness stop? 

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Mild precautions like effectively shutting down foreign travel as an 8 day self isolation period would do?