Coronavirus (COVID-19)

As I’ve said before, I’m trying to get to australia. They were letting in international students and visa holders from Wednesday (1st December). They’ve now delayed that to the 15th, as of about an hour ago. Brutal. People quitting their jobs, terminating leases etc and are quite possibly already on a flight to start their journey, now effectively rendered homeless and stranded. Unreal. Selfishly, I’m lucky my visa hasn’t been approved.

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It'll be ok. Wth the new variant rife in Lanarkshire, they'll just nuke the place from orbit.  Only way to be sure.

They realise that it won't actually stop the variant but it was probably needing done anyway.

OK, you asked for it…..

Cumbernauld town centre nuked from orbit… causing over fifty million pounds worth of improvements.

Boom boom, ker-tish! Etc.

2 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Thing is, I’m not even sure she wants to shut anything down, but she wants to blame WM for not having the ability to do it.

Spot on. Not got the balls to come out and say it, but knows that WM will tell her to bolt.

Looks good for her supporters, has a great out if it goes tits up, but also gets to carry on essentially "as is" without any risk at all.

This is where NS excels so it's not a surprise to see her get in quickly here.

I'd probably also have to say South Africa is a lousy comparison against a western country. Whilst sequencing has been generally praised as 'good' there, it's clear that this has been circulating for at least a few weeks (probably a couple of months in reality) and only picked up last week. When the Belgian case was identified as the 11th of November, the gig was up for Europe. 

The country is poorly vaccinated, has significant numbers of extreme poverty and also a large population with HIV (around 17% of the entire population). It's probably fair to say that people becoming ill in many parts of the country is nothing out of the ordinary and most likely a lot of people of that did get unwell would probably not bother being tested, whether because illness isn't noteworthy or due to poor testing offering.

There have clearly been some testing problems too. Those KLM flights to the Netherlands were mental: everyone had to do the pre-departure test and yet 10% of arrivals were positive. That shouldn't be happening, quite frankly. 

That would be the third different (and shortest) quarantine period in the last 2 years.
Given the noise they are making about how transmissible it could be you'd be forgiven for thinking they were picking a number of days out their arse that they think people might be ok with rather than basing it on any scientific basis.
Be surprised if the UK Gov decide to go with it anyway so it's a largely moot point.

It’s 8 days because you’d be showing as positive on a test by that stage, rather than because you’d be less infectious. If you tested positive on day 8, the ten days isolation for being positive would start from there. 18 days total in isolation. Ouch. You also need to wonder how many people will actually isolate for 8 days if they’re feeling fine, and have had a negative test on day 2? Surely not many and we know perfectly well that there’s effectively zero enforcement of these rules.

Like you I very much doubt it’ll happen in any case - unless things really do go tits up in which case we’ll probably have bigger worries than travel arrangements.

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

OK, you asked for it…..

Cumbernauld town centre nuked from orbit… causing over fifty million pounds worth of improvements.

Boom boom, ker-tish! Etc.

Careful now, you'll upset Brian!

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/7506581/brian-howieson-cumbernauld-dumbarton-fc-tweet-nicola-sturgeon/

This will be a textbook case of a respiratory virus becoming more infectious and less deadly with time. Almost every mutation and variant will weaken it further from here on out as the virus that succeeds and hangs about longest to become widespread, generally does the least harm (in terms of killing at least)

It's almost as if there's been a handful of us expressing that this would be the medium and long-term projection on this thread for the past 18 months (to the derision of some who love to wail, 'you don't know that though!' may I add) and we've been gradually seeing that happening.

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Didn’t click on the link, due to it being the Sun. I’m guessing though it was some sort of stooshie with someone slagging Cumbernauld. My adopted home. How very dare they. 

Anyway… under an hour now until my double-vaccinated, recently boostered sorry arse enters full omicron panic mode. Just. In. Case…. You. Never. Know…. It’s. Out. There.

Edited by pozbaird

What NS is proposing is to effectively shut down foreign travel every time there is a variant that may or may not be more transmissible and/or severe until we have more information.

That would effectively be the end of the sector as no one is going to book holidays knowing that they’ll have to isolate for 8 days at the drop of a hat whenever a new variant pops up from Peru or Ethiopia.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

What NS is proposing is to effectively shut down foreign travel every time there is a variant that may or may not be more transmissible and/or severe until we have more information.

That would effectively be the end of the sector as no one is going to book holidays knowing that they’ll have to isolate for 8 days at the drop of a hat whenever a new variant pops up from Peru or Ethiopia.

Spot on. Its extremely harmful. More importantly though, it is just very very thick.

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Didn’t click on the link, due to it being the Sun. I’m guessing though it was some sort of stooshie with someone slagging Cumbernauld. My adopted home. How very dare they. 

Anyway… under an hour now until my double-vaccinated, recently boostered sorry arse enters full omicron panic mode. Just. In. Case…. You. Never. Know…. It’s. Out. There.

He got very upset about this and complained to Sturgeon. :lol:

b25lY21zOjcwODE1OWI1LWJkZTYtNDQ5MS05ZWViLWQxNGYzOGVkZGIyNzpiZjMyN2MyOS0xMTMxLTRjNTgtOTI3Ni00YmYwZjM3NmY2Mzk=.jpg

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

He got very upset about this and complained to Sturgeon. :lol:

b25lY21zOjcwODE1OWI1LWJkZTYtNDQ5MS05ZWViLWQxNGYzOGVkZGIyNzpiZjMyN2MyOS0xMTMxLTRjNTgtOTI3Ni00YmYwZjM3NmY2Mzk=.jpg

Bit of banter IMHO. Who in their right mind would get their underwear in a twist over that.

Annyway…. I’m ordering a jumbo pack of Black Friday facemasks from Amazon. I’m in the omicron epicentre here, and am frankly shitting it.

Edited by pozbaird

24 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'd probably also have to say South Africa is a lousy comparison against a western country.

Another factor is they have a far lower proportion of elderly people, so you'd expect a lower incidence of severe disease and it will take longer to get the data on how dangerous it is in the real world. Hopefully lab testing is quicker and reliable and we'll know in a couple a couple of weeks that there's nothing to worry about.