Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

If think there's two seperate things going on here. Obviously wearing a face mask isn't the end of the world for most people and its fair to say that compared to pretty much any intervention they could have brought in its got the lowest cost and getting wound up over them being tyranny or whatever is wild.

However, I think its fair to question whether bringing back face masks in such a limited range of settings is actually going to make any meaningful difference. I think thats a seperate discussion but it tends to get swept up with the 'haha, the moonhowlers are calling masks muzzles again' and treated as if the two things are one and the same. This feels a lot more like bringing something small in to soften up people to the idea that larger restrictions might have to come back rather than a measure that will actually make a significant difference on its own.

I think that's fair but the leaders of the no masks gang like JHB, Toby Young, Shipman and the like are going hard on the civil liberties angle while I think the UK governments messaging and example on masks has been shamefully weak, confusing or clearly hypocritical. 

8 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

I think its fair to question whether bringing back face masks in such a limited range of settings is actually going to make any meaningful difference

I noticed on Andrew Marr this morning Javid avoided giving the obvious answer as to why they were required in shops and public transport but not pubs and restaurants. That answer, of course, being "because people could take them off for 95% of the time they are in pubs and restaurants so it would be pointless."

Every virus in history has evolved and mutated to be more transmissible. Every virus has also become less dangerous as this happens. So expect omicron will be dominant everywhere worldwide within a few months.
The x-ray variant when it evolves in Belarus or wherever in June or whenever next year will follow the same path.
A few unfortunate people will continue to die and we should all possibly be offered new boosters in line with the flu vaccine.

Etc etc

Every virus in history has evolved and mutated to be more transmissible. Every virus has also become less dangerous as this happens. So expect omicron will be dominant everywhere worldwide within a few months.
The x-ray variant when it evolves in Belarus or wherever in June or whenever next year will follow the same path.
A few unfortunate people will continue to die and we should all possibly be offered new boosters in line with the flue vaccine.

Etc etc

Gaslighting IMO.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

SARS viruses have a funny habit of mutating themselves into extinction, like SARS-CoV-1. How are the Alpha and Kent variants getting on now, it quickly all gets forgotten about?

As noted in Japan the Delta which now almost gone from there was dominant and was very good at preventing other variants from taking hold. In the UK while Delta is still dominant it seems therefore unlikely the 'moronic' variant will take hold in such numbers to create a wave of infections. This has never happened before while there is a dominant variant doing the rounds. We do appear very good at tracking and tracing these variants now.

Best hope is that Omicron is wildly infectious, elbowing out Delta, but relatively harmless even if it evades the vaccine. Then it's show over apart from a regular booster for the elderly and vulnerable like the flu vaccine. Here's hoping!

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I noticed on Andrew Marr this morning Javid avoided giving the obvious answer as to why they were required in shops and public transport but not pubs and restaurants. That answer, of course, being "because people could take them off for 95% of the time they are in pubs and restaurants so it would be pointless."

Also worth pointing out that the extremely vulnerable have the option of avoiding hospitality, whereas they may need to attend shops and trains.

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

Also worth pointing out that the extremely vulnerable have the option of avoiding hospitality, whereas they may need to attend shops and trains.

I don't dispute that, however I don't think that's the main reason.

Masks to walk to your table to then remove them until it is leaving time is pure theatre, and this decision appears, at least, to be a nod towards acknowledging this.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't dispute that, however I don't think that's the main reason.

Masks to walk to your table to then remove them until it is leaving time is pure theatre, and this decision appears, at least, to be a nod towards acknowledging this.

Personally I think masks in shops is also theatre. Don't think anyone is spreading covid just by walking past someone in a shop.

Public transport is more sensible as it's reasonable to assume you might catch covid by sitting next to an infected person for a prolonged period on a bus, for example.

I'm so sick of people freaking out about it now.
The wife has a colleague who was meant to come for dinner tomorrow but us now shiting it because NEWVARIANT. Apparently she's away to visit her elderly mother a week after and wants to reduce the risk.

Just go f**k off then.

We even just got a negative test result yesterday as we can get them free again here. But apparently its normal to get scared out your wits about something THAT WE DONT HAVE.

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Don’t you dare even think about putting any restrictions back in place. 

She does herself no favours with these sorts of comments. Little is known about this variant at the moment and talking of the "need to go further" and "doing anything to keep the population safe" just sounds ridiculous until all the facts are known. 

The British policy not double jagging teenagers now starting to have impact elsewhere.
Spanish not letting anyone in full stop over 12 from 1st December unless fully vaccinated.
Jet2 pussbook funny as f**k with the Spanish can't do this fury. Like the UK is centre of the world.

Prediction amidst all this.
JCVI wait 2 days so it appears not to be under political influence. (Aye right your not)
Then all teens to now be double jagged.
Probably followed by all 5-12 year olds 1st jag.
Boosters for all finally.

35 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'm so sick of people freaking out about it now.
The wife has a colleague who was meant to come for dinner tomorrow but us now shiting it because NEWVARIANT. Apparently she's away to visit her elderly mother a week after and wants to reduce the risk.

Just go f**k off then.

We even just got a negative test result yesterday as we can get them free again here. But apparently its normal to get scared out your wits about something THAT WE DONT HAVE.

I take it your wife’s colleague is tidy af.
I’d be delighted they called it off.

21 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

She does herself no favours with these sorts of comments. Little is known about this variant at the moment and talking of the "need to go further" and "doing anything to keep the population safe" just sounds ridiculous until all the facts are known. 

That's pretty well her message if you take the interview as a whole. 45 minutes in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00123k0/the-andrew-marr-show-28112021

I honestly thought we'd seen the end of the insufferable headless chickens and the shrieking panic merchants but they seem to have found their purpose again in the last week or so. I swear to god, they are absolutely loving this. This is their "world war 2" moment and they're not keen on letting it pass them by. They are absolutely fucking gagging for Omicron to be a disaster so they can say they told us all so. I see Deepti Gurdasani has already started with that particular tone and she's not alone.
You do begin to wonder at which point things will ever get back to normal.
Its always going to be about leaving these melts behind, not convincing them to move on.

A variant scare turning out to bw not much really would actually be a big help in that regard.