Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

They have 6 months to plan for their summer tourist season. 

Summer in South Africa at the moment mate. Technically it may still be spring but I suspect you’ve missed the point.  Tourists won’t be going to SA over the next few months if there are travel bans.  That’s their vested interest.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I did.

The initial question was about viruses that would have you keeking in your breeks.

No mention of viruses in the UK of potentially reaching the UK.

It was a notional question or are you too dumb to understand that?

f**k me.  Why would we, the people in the UK, that responded to the question, be fearing Ebola?

you’re having a mare 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Left Back

f**k me.  Why would we, the people in the UK, that responded to the question, be fearing Ebola?
you’re having a mare [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Jesus wept.

You clearly don't understand what a notional question is.

As thick as a bag of hammers.

"notional

(noʊʃənəl)

ADJECTIVE

Something that is notional exists only in theory or as a suggestion or idea, but not in reality."

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Jesus wept.

You clearly don't understand what a notional question is.

As thick as a bag of hammers.

You’re the one that dived into a discussion half cocked and have had a heads gone about it.  Right from the minute I pointed out you were making an arse of yourself.  Even the guy that initially threw in Ebola realised he was onto a loser and bowed out gracefully.  You’re losing the plot about it.

Enjoy your night mate.

You’re the one that dived into a discussion half cocked and have had a heads gone about it.  Right from the minute I pointed out you were making an arse of yourself.  Even the guy that initially threw in Ebola realised he was onto a loser and bowed out gracefully.  You’re losing the plot about it.
Enjoy your night mate.
My answer was in response to his question.

On any list of deadly viruses Ebola and Marburg will be up there - along with a list of other viruses that are unlikely to enter the UK.

As I've repeatedly said it isn't a concern here as it is completely notional.

And no I'm not having a heads gone - I just think your answer trivialised those who do have to deal with the likes of Ebola.

And there is a relevance to what is happening here, in that our response to this pandemic at times has been like we've been dealing with Ebola - Covid-19 is not that kind of disease and should never have been elevated to that kind of level.

It's why the latest scare stories over the latest variant are beginning to get on my tits - at some point we need to learn to live with Covid just as we live with Flu and the Common Cold.

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

I saw another 4 countries were redded as well at the drop of a hat. I get the countries concerned are "no-one visits them" territory, but it's a serious measure that passes without any fanfare. 

And yes, they are potentially utterly fucked here again. No furlough and if the restrictions on them increase, they will start to struggle. 

Of course we'll continue to fling people from their African mud hut countries onto a travel ban list, but not places across the Channel like Belgium and the Netherlands where it has also already been identified. Aren't border closures just so effective and equitable!

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The contrast between this and the apparent panic by the UK Gov is rather odd in all honesty

By the sound of it, limiting the spread of this is counter-productive?

But what could some diddy South African know? I mean really...

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The contrast between this and the apparent panic by the UK Gov is rather odd in all honesty

By the sound of it, limiting the spread of this is counter-productive?

Mac has been one of the very few reliable sensible scientific folks but sadly drowned out by the hysteria. 
If this research from south africa is correct (and its in everyone’s interest) then good. 
I think its sensible to take precautions but lets not pretend its not already here. 

49 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Switzerland adds Britain, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Egypt and Malawi to the quarantine list.

I can see other countries doing the same over winter.

It's not going to matter for shit as it is hilariously and obviously going to already be seeded everywhere if it has any sort of transmission advantage. It lets tinpot governments add a few temporary millimetres to their tiny wee cocks, though.

Edited by Elixir

19 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

The 500k model was wrong. Period. Interventions or not. Ferguson should have admitted that and disappeared from public life immediately.

The 500k figure was the maximum with no mitigation, with a wide error range. We're now at 144k. The same model predicted a maximum of 2.2 million in the US with no mitigation, they're now at 777k. Mitigation happened, you're being too simplistic.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

First sentence. No. That is overly simplistic. The second wave happened despite major parts of the country still being locked down which proved what was suspected all along - that lockdowns delay problems they don't fix them. We were right to try it but a combination of an unwillingess to admit we were wrong and a "nobody is allowed to die" policy prevented that lesson being learned.

Second sentence. The 500k model was wrong. Period. Interventions or not. Ferguson should have admitted that and disappeared from public life immediately.

Given that covid only seemed to almost exclusively affect very old people with serious underlying conditions and even then was only about 8% fatal at most on those who actually caught it within that cohort, then yes. Drama is a perfect word to describe the mindless panicking andf endless screeching.

The country should have opened back up in May last year and the virus allowed to run throughout society tyo build immunity while the weather was warm, we had the Louisa Jordan operational as an isolation hospital and the NHS wasn't under undue pressure. We should have locked away our most vulnerable to protect them.

For easy scanning I've placed in bold the things that are simply untrue. a)You excluded the salient part regrading the 500k model "if no further action" because it inconveniently contradicted what you posted b) while restrictions existed, major parts of the country were not locked down (the conflation of some minimal measures with LOCKDOWN!!!! is a wholly misleading yet typical tactic. and c) "almost exclusively very old" is a gross over simplification. 

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The 500k figure was the maximum with no mitigation, with a wide error range. We're now at 144k. The same model predicted a maximum of 2.2 million in the US with no mitigation, they're now at 777k. Mitigation happened, you're being too simplistic.

I think you are being too generous, it is a deliberate misrepresentation. Or a lie by omission. Either way it's frankly unforgivable from someone who waves his credentials around like a tiny little dick attached to a drunk fat man dancing in a brothel. 

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Is there a P&B equivalent site in England?  With the Blessed Boris reintroducing masks in shops and public transport in England, I hope he's ready for the onslaught of abuse he's going to receive as a result. 

The "FACE MASKS = TYRANNY" crowd on twitter are quite fun. Could be the end or at least another nail in the coffin for Johnson as the libertarian/ERG/CRG brexit-jihadi clackwankers are furious about freedom, or some other such hysterical drivel.

2 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The "FACE MASKS = TYRANNY" crowd on twitter are quite fun. Could be the end or at least another nail in the coffin for Johnson as the libertarian/ERG/CRG brexit-jihadi clackwankers are furious about freedom, or some other such hysterical drivel.

If think there's two seperate things going on here. Obviously wearing a face mask isn't the end of the world for most people and its fair to say that compared to pretty much any intervention they could have brought in its got the lowest cost and getting wound up over them being tyranny or whatever is wild.

However, I think its fair to question whether bringing back face masks in such a limited range of settings is actually going to make any meaningful difference. I think thats a seperate discussion but it tends to get swept up with the 'haha, the moonhowlers are calling masks muzzles again' and treated as if the two things are one and the same. This feels a lot more like bringing something small in to soften up people to the idea that larger restrictions might have to come back rather than a measure that will actually make a significant difference on its own.