Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

The contrast between this and the apparent panic by the UK Gov is rather odd in all honesty

By the sound of it, limiting the spread of this is counter-productive?

So the UK government have shat it in fear of a repeat of previous early inaction, but it looks like in actual fact, this variant may be the end zone for covid becoming a non-concern.

Lovely stuff.

1 minute ago, Abdul_Latif said:

So the UK government have shat it in fear of a repeat of previous early inaction, but it looks like in actual fact, this variant may be the end zone for covid becoming a non-concern.

Lovely stuff.

While I suspect UK gov have shat it and over reacted (along with the rest of the Western world) SA have a vested interest in downplaying this.  They have a summer tourism economy to protect.

Whether this variant turns out to be good, bad or indifferent only time will tell.  Based on whats happened with new variants so far there is no need to be fearing this as much as uk gov seem to be.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Ebola and Marburg are vicious fuckers but, thankfully, kill their hosts so quickly that transmission isn’t an issue.

See you managed to edit this post once you realised you’d fucked it by just throwing out the names of a couple of viruses.

No he isn’t.  He’s saying we should be terrified of viruses we have treatments and vaccines for.
Ebola vaccines haven't been used for mass immunisation programmes - they've been pretty much targeted at outbreaks. So if you are one of the unlucky buggers who doesn't get treated quickly enough you are fucked.

The first widespread use of a vaccine in 2020 in the Democratic Republic of Congo still resulted in 2,000+ deaths out of the 3,470 people who were infected - a death rate of 66%.

Those who were vaccinated had an 80% chance of not getting the disease and if they did the symptoms were a lot milder. The problem is the cost of a vaccine programme is extremely prohibitive compared to the actual numbers who get the disease.

See you managed to edit this post once you realised you’d fucked it by just throwing out the names of a couple of viruses.
I didn't just throw the names out - those viruses are far scarier in terms of their symptoms and death rates than Covid-19.

Given the choice of being in a room full of people infected with Covid or those with Ebola - it's a no brainer.

That's why our current attitude to Covid is increasingly bizarre - it should not be the scary thing that our politicians and media are making it out to be.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I didn't just throw the names out - those viruses are far scarier in terms of their symptoms and death rates than Covid-19.

Given the choice of being in a room full of people infected with Covid or those with Ebola - it's a no brainer.

That's why our current attitude to Covid is increasingly bizarre - it should not be the scary thing that our politicians and media are making it out to be.

Yep.  Governments across the UK and the population at large should be terrified of these viruses.  Killed thousands in the UK so they have.

Have a word with yourself.

From the early information this one spreads quicker but is weaker and less likely to cause serious harm.

If I was being cynical Boris is using this to deflect away from the latest absolute shitstorm his party have created.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Ebola vaccines haven't been used for mass immunisation programmes - they've been pretty much targeted at outbreaks. So if you are one of the unlucky buggers who doesn't get treated quickly enough you are fucked.

The first widespread use of a vaccine in 2020 in the Democratic Republic of Congo still resulted in 2,000+ deaths out of the 3,470 people who were infected - a death rate of 66%.

Those who were vaccinated had an 80% chance of not getting the disease and if they did the symptoms were a lot milder. The problem is the cost of a vaccine programme is extremely prohibitive compared to the actual numbers who get the disease.

So you admit they are rare diseases that aren’t highly transmissable like Covid is then?

No idea why you’re still flogging this horse.

We have no reason to be shiting ourselves about Ebola.  Some people will catch it and unfortunately die.  No-one is hiding behind the sofa about it though.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
5 minutes ago, Left Back said:
Yep.  Governments across the UK and the population at large should be terrified of these viruses.  Killed thousands in the UK so they have.
Have a word with yourself.

Try fucking reading you halfwit

😂😂😂

oh my word.

So you admit they are rare diseases that aren’t highly transmissable like Covid is then?
No idea why you’re still flogging this horse.
We have no reason to be shiting ourselves about Ebola.  Some people will catch it and unfortunately die.  No-one is hiding behind the sofa about it though.
That's not what I said.

Try reading it again fuckwit.

I'm not saying Ebola is dangerous to us in the UK. I'm saying that anyone who is in contact with the disease should be more scared of Ebola than being in contact with Covid-19. Yet somehow we have elevated Covid-19 to the status of an Ebolaesque disease when it isn’t.

That's the crazy thing about this whole pandemic. Covid-19 with a death rate of 3.4% worldwide gets compared with something that has a death rate of 66%. There is no comparison.

Covid-19 needs to start being treated like Infuenza.

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That's not what I said.

Try reading it again fuckwit.

Before you keep repeating yourself and looking more stupid try following your own advice.

Go back to the start of the discussion about which viruses we should be shiting ourselves about.  Read it and try comprehending it.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

While I suspect UK gov have shat it and over reacted (along with the rest of the Western world) SA have a vested interest in downplaying this.  They have a summer tourism economy to protect.

Whether this variant turns out to be good, bad or indifferent only time will tell.  Based on whats happened with new variants so far there is no need to be fearing this as much as uk gov seem to be.

They have 6 months to plan for their summer tourist season. 

Before you keep repeating yourself and looking more stupid try following your own advice.
Go back to the start of the discussion about which viruses we should be shiting ourselves about.  Read it and try comprehending it.
I did.

The initial question was about viruses that would have you keeking in your breeks.

No mention of viruses in the UK or potentially reaching the UK.

It was a notional question or are you too dumb to understand that?