Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Whit?

You personally told us a wee while back that the SG were deliberately lying about masks being effective because they didn't want PPE to run out.

You assured us of that.

A wee "white lie" you called it.

Make your mind up Welshy.

And you accused me of flipping an argument. :lol: Night night oaksoft, sleep well...

I think we're well past the stage of restrictions we had this time last year ever being imposed/adhered to again. Thankfully. I also think (my experience anyway) that in my local area, probably more have had Covid than not. It isn't 'scary' anymore. Most are not hiding from it now. I'll probably catch it over the weekend and be really ill 🤦 Wish it would go away. I also know a few who have died including a family member.

Wonder if there are any studies to determine the setting where most transmission occurs:

Homes 

Workplace

Pub 

Schools 

College 

Restaurants - with a pint 

Football match 

Shopping 

Gym 

Fishing 

Remember when you couldn't go fishing on your own. 😄

6 hours ago, GTee said:

Wonder if there are any studies to determine the setting where most transmission occurs:

Homes 

Workplace

Pub 

Schools 

College 

Football match 

Shopping 

Gym 

Fishing 

Hospitals? Care Homes? Scotland fans in the fountains at Trafalgar Square? Nike Conferences? The Tory benches at Westminster? Sevco fans in George Square? Nick Hancock’s boudoir?

Has to be more. 

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Hospitals? Care Homes? Scotland fans in the fountains at Trafalgar Square? Nike Conferences? The Tory benches at Westminster? Sevco fans in George Square? Nick Hancock’s boudoir?

Has to be more. 

Nail bars.

Research from a Mr J Pennywise advises that churches are immune.

20 minutes ago, Tynie Wickfield said:

Nail bars.

Research from a Mr J Pennywise advises that churches are immune.

Going against my natural instinct, but to be serious for a moment… I am far from being ‘scared of catching Covid’, but even I found being on the packed London Underground recently a bit more worrying. I never used to bother, never enjoyed being on it like sardines in a can, but was never too concerned about catching anything. Must admit though, being on that with folk coughing, spluttering, sneezing, shouting (post NFL game at Spurs heading back to the city), certainly made me think it must be a high-risk environment for anything, not just Covid, to be transmitted.

Edited by pozbaird

7 hours ago, GTee said:

I think we're well past the stage of restrictions we had this time last year ever being imposed/adhered to again. Thankfully. I also think (my experience anyway) that in my local area, probably more have had Covid than not. It isn't 'scary' anymore. Most are not hiding from it now. I'll probably catch it over the weekend and be really ill 🤦 Wish it would go away. I also know a few who have died including a family member.

This about sums it up for me.  Spring last year everyone was shit scared of this virus.  I’d think that these days most people aren’t really fussed.

46 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This about sums it up for me.  Spring last year everyone was shit scared of this virus. 

So much of that was media driven though. The pictures/reports from Italy could have made you think all perfectly healthy adults/young adults were just catching this thing and ended up in hospital. When we know the reality of that was much different.

I’d be shocked if the omicron variant hasn’t already been carried into the UK. For multiple reasons, these travel restrictions are a bit daft:

1. We have world leading genomic sequencing capability in the UK, much more than other countries in the world. When a variant pops up in the UK, we can identify it pretty quickly. However, when a variant is found in Africa, that is suggestive that it’s already been spreading significantly.

2. There is a very high chance that omicron was already seeded into the UK before our government learned of its existence around 3 days ago.

3. Even if it’s not in the UK yet, there is no chance that it’s confined to the six African nations that have been slapped on the red list. We already know it’s in Belgium, Israel and Hong Kong, but it’s undoubtedly in dozens of countries across Europe and the world. We can’t put everywhere on the red list. 

Time will tell whether this is a total damp squib or Delta on steroids, but if it’s the latter then there’s next to nothing we can do to prevent it becoming dominant here. 

So much of that was media driven though. The pictures/reports from Italy could have made you think all perfectly healthy adults/young adults were just catching this thing and ended up in hospital. When we know the reality of that was much different.
If you were male, over 50 and obese then it would have been scary.

But we didn't have a vaccine then.

14 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Genuinely surprised it hasn't happened somewhere already.

We've seen a few powder puff protests but nothing sustained which might seriously concern any authorities anywhere.

I suspect it's because people protesting against restrictions don't want to be seen to be associated with the anti-vax crazies who are currently the loudest voices.

In a funny way, I think the nutters are the only thing keeping a lid on riots.

Nah the vast majority of people bumping their gums would do f**k all regardless. The most likely thing is any restrictions which get brought in will be quietly ignored to the best of people's abilities. The sorta people who are more willing to take to the streets and protest the government also appear generally more likely to be cautious about Covid.

There's a reason it's the same small number of cranks who keep turning out.

ETA: Should clarify that I'm referring to the UK

Edited by NotThePars

11 hours ago, GTee said:

Homes 

Workplace

Pub 

Schools 

College 

Football match 

Shopping 

Gym 

Fishing 

Data for this already exists via Test and Trace. Only takes a FoI to get it. 

Today's figures below.

Hospital numbers down by around 200 in the last month. ICU figures relatively unchanged over the same period.

2,287 new cases of COVID-19 reported

29,800 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

8.2% of these were positive

17 new reported deaths of people who have tested positive

53 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (57 one month ago)

727 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (was 925 one month ago)

4,344,043 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination, 3,945,451 have received their second dose, and 1,598,749 have received a third dose or booster

Edited by Distant Doonhamer