Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

What measures would you expect to to be introduced given the lack of notice for these people? 

The flight ban kicks in in 30mins, btw. 

Legally they probably can't enforce any other restrictions before the deadline, but you'd think they could at least channel them away from passengers arriving on other flights to get their baggage etc.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Good times for Cadwalladr's band of media personalities. 

£££

I'm sure the same people who were just outraged about migrants dying in the Channel will now be outraged at the fresh ban on travel from some of the global south...

22 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Good to see we’ve learned our lesson.

What lesson is that, exactly? That flight and travel bans do absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of vArIaNtZ, but do cause untold misery to people?

What lesson is that, exactly? That flight and travel bans do absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of vArIaNtZ, but do cause untold misery to people?

Personally speaking, I’m trying to get to Australia and have been for the last six months to be reunited with my partner, so I’m fully aware of how border closures can impact people. I’d like to think the flights could have been segregated from all other flights and testing could’ve been implemented on site upon their arrival. Now we run the risk of the super duper new variant running wild in the UK. Ergo, more untold misery to people.

3 hours ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I’ve got a horrendous cold this week, which is definitely not covid.

I expect I’ll get a couple more colds till about mid February. That’s just winter.

Aye its not Covid but its not the cold either imo.  Horrendous pressure feeling on my forehead.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Legally they probably can't enforce any other restrictions before the deadline, but you'd think they could at least channel them away from passengers arriving on other flights to get their baggage etc.

Probably not possible given the lack of preparation time tbh. Whilst I haven't been there for a while, I've heard various reports from people that have - the place is an understaffed mess at the moment. Too many have been let go in the name of cost saving measures and this impacts on the ability to do these sorts of things.

I also hadn't realised that the flight ban is also only a temporary one until Sunday, allowing hotel quarantine to be set up. Arrivals between now and Sunday escape the paid-for hotel jail sentence, but PCRs on day 2 and 8 are needed and they have to isolate. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

In the new variant, the thing people focus on is how well it "evades" vaccines. Of the known variants, the Beta (Kent) variant is the most vaccine-resistant. And yet it isn't the dominant strain - Delta is. Delta is more transmissable and has out-competed Beta, even though vaccines are more effective against it.

For any variant of concern there are three things to look at. 

To what extent is it vaccine resistant?

To what extent is it transmissable?

And how does this variant induce illness/death amongst people? 

The last of these three is most important. If this variant is relatively harmless to people (which we do not know) but is more transmissable (which we also do not know) then this is a good thing. Focussing on vaccine resistance is just a way of getting the knickers wet of people like our favourites...

Reveal hidden contents

I was wondering the same, how ill were the people who had this variant?  We will always get new variants arriving so they should by now be prepared for that and how they deal with that otherwise 2022 will be pretty much same as the 2 years before

Edited by BigDoddyKane

1 hour ago, BigDoddyKane said:

I was wondering the same, how ill were the people who had this variant?  We will always get new variants now so they should by now be prepared for that and how they deal with that otherwise 2022 will be pretty much same as the 2 years before

Anti viral drugs should make a difference and they should be able to fast track a modified vaccine booster if needed without so much lengthy testing. Hopefully it won't be necessary.

P.S.

Pfizer and BioNTech started several months ago to ensure that in the case of an escape variant, the mRNA vaccine can be adapted within six weeks, the first doses of which would be ready to dispatch within 100 days.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, Tynie Wickfield said:

Cannot be long until everyone's favourite government adviser, the lying, duplicitous, mental health bashing fantasist, starts screaming for a lockdown again.

Meanwhile feel free to buy my book...

And there it is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/health/new-covid-variant-may-already-be-in-scotland-says-devi-sridhar-3472656%3famp

See Javid is on the ball as per usual.

From here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59428398

"Mr Javid told the House of Commons it was "highly likely" the B.1.1.529 variant had already spread from South Africa and Botswana, where confirmed cases have been found, to other countries."

The same article goes on to list Belgium, Israel and Hong Kong as other countries that have already confirmed a case.

Israel had already confirmed a case hours before he gave his update to the Commons.

Edited by Left Back

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Anti viral drugs should make a difference and they should be able to fast track a modified vaccine booster if needed without so much lengthy testing. Hopefully it won't be necessary.

P.S.

do we have anti-viral drugs available now that work for any one who gets seriously ill from covid? or they still not ready?

5 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

do we have anti-viral drugs available now that work for any one who gets seriously ill from covid? or they still not ready?

They've approved one that I know of to treat mild to moderate symptoms for people at risk, like over 60s etc, there could be others.

5 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

Personally speaking, I’m trying to get to Australia and have been for the last six months to be reunited with my partner, so I’m fully aware of how border closures can impact people. I’d like to think the flights could have been segregated from all other flights and testing could’ve been implemented on site upon their arrival. Now we run the risk of the super duper new variant running wild in the UK. Ergo, more untold misery to people.

That's grim and I truly sympathise with your situation. My own partner is now hoping travel restrictions aren't brought in within Europe as she hasn't been home to spend Christmas with her family since 2018. Last year was utterly depressing.

However, practically if this variant transmits even easier than Delta, then it is already going to be seeded in every corner of the globe. This is why travel restrictions are so pointless, and the virus is going to continue mutating forever. We don't do this every time influenza mutates. We simply vaccinate, update vaccines, and move on.