Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Was getting on a flight earlier, every seat taken and in the queue a woman told my wife and I we were too close to her.

Obviously being a hard man my initial response wasn't sorry but a finely balanced argument about it being ironic she was getting on a packed plane... (it wasn't, I shat it and apologised immediately and took a dramatic step back)

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This is why we have to 'cancel Christmas', yes? 

Ah but we can still save Christmas by doing a lateral flow everytime you leave the house and by avoiding all pubs, gyms, sports venues.    We can't close them this time though as we don't have any money but please stay safe and think of Gran this Christmas.

#safexmas

We’ve had our fingers burned with Delta so I do think the red listing of any countries where the variant is known to be spreading makes sense for now. If it becomes the dominant variant worldwide then it’ll end up at some point, but makes sense to try and keep it out in the short term.

What I don’t want to see is any domestic restrictions brought in when we don’t have any cases of the new variant. 

Just now, Donathan said:

We’ve had our fingers burned with Delta so I do think the red listing of any countries where the variant is known to be spreading makes sense for now. If it becomes the dominant variant worldwide then it’ll end up at some point, but makes sense to try and keep it out in the short term.

What I don’t want to see is any domestic restrictions brought in when we don’t have any cases of the new variant. 

In view of the amount flight's coming in from SA and other areas over the last week I'd be astonished if it's not here already.

The vaccines have done superbly so far and I'm sure they will continue to do so irrespective of variant.

Best policy is to get vaccinated and remain as hygienic as possible.  

12 hours ago, deegee said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59424269

As quick as that, there’s South Africa and a handful other countries bumped on to the “Red List”. As you say, it’s been a while since “VaRiaNtS” were spoken about.

Does this hellish merry-go-round ever end?

Aye, it is annoying when nature doesn't do what we want. 

In the new variant, the thing people focus on is how well it "evades" vaccines. Of the known variants, the Beta (Kent) variant is the most vaccine-resistant. And yet it isn't the dominant strain - Delta is. Delta is more transmissable and has out-competed Beta, even though vaccines are more effective against it.

For any variant of concern there are three things to look at. 

To what extent is it vaccine resistant?

To what extent is it transmissable?

And how does this variant induce illness/death amongst people? 

The last of these three is most important. If this variant is relatively harmless to people (which we do not know) but is more transmissable (which we also do not know) then this is a good thing. Focussing on vaccine resistance is just a way of getting the knickers wet of people like our favourites...

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
29 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:
Aye, it is annoying when nature doesn't do what we want. 

Equally annoying when politicians somehow think they can control nature.

I've yet to hear a politician saying that they can control nature. I seem to remember Trumpy asking about controlling tornadoes or maybe hurricanes with nuclear weapons and Lukashenko of Belrus saying that he couldn't see the virus and anyway that you could deal with it with vodka and saunas. Thankfully, I'd place both these at the loony end of the spectrum. I suppose the actions taken depend on the intelligence and motivation of the politicians. 

There is a difference between controlling nature and trying to mitigate an infection's adverse effects. 

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I've yet to hear a politician saying that they can control nature. I seem to remember Trumpy asking about controlling tornadoes or maybe hurricanes with nuclear weapons and Lukashenko of Belrus saying that he couldn't see the virus and anyway that you could deal with it with vodka and saunas.

eighteen months later and Belarus is in the midst of a dreadful coronavirus wave which has claimed many lives.

55 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

In the new variant, the thing people focus on is how well it "evades" vaccines. Of the known variants, the Beta (Kent) variant is the most vaccine-resistant. And yet it isn't the dominant strain - Delta is. Delta is more transmissable and has out-competed Beta, even though vaccines are more effective against it.

For any variant of concern there are three things to look at. 

To what extent is it vaccine resistant?

To what extent is it transmissable?

And how does this variant induce illness/death amongst people? 

The last of these three is most important. If this variant is relatively harmless to people (which we do not know) but is more transmissable (which we also do not know) then this is a good thing. Focussing on vaccine resistance is just a way of getting the knickers wet of people like our favourites...

Hide contents

That Eric Ding should be banged up for spreading fear and alarm or moral panic or something, it's like he's jizzing himself every time he finds some new nugget of gloom.

What measures would you expect to to be introduced given the lack of notice for these people? 
The flight ban kicks in in 30mins, btw. 

What did the health officials do exactly? ‘Hello plane, nice to see you.’ What was the point in that?